[Albion] Graham Potter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Do Liverpool fans thank Rodgers for Klopps success 🙄🤣 it’s a bizarre post by the OP. The formations played are completely different RDZ plays with wingers Potter preferred wing backs one small example of why the post makes no sense whatsoever.
Yes the formation and tactics are different, but the confidence to play out from the back as we do now is definitely because of Potter. There is no way Bloom would have appointed RDZ straight after Hughton, it would have been a car crash.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Had to read that three times before my brain registered the French city rather than that you'd heard a nice (!?) rumour that he was off to a UK seaside club, something I couldn't figure either (which club that might be)
:lolol:
It was a poorly worded post on my part for sure! I blame the French for naming a city after a bloody adjective.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t believe Mitoma was a Potter-type player.
I agree, he likes to run with the ball in the direction of the goal. Why do this when you can fanny around on the edge of the box?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes the formation and tactics are different, but the confidence to play out from the back as we do now is definitely because of Potter. There is no way Bloom would have appointed RDZ straight after Hughton, it would have been a car crash.
The idea of Shane Duffy teasing the oppos forwards with his foot on the ball is amusing though.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
I'm sorry, I probably wasn't very lucid when I replied to your post. I feel mortified.
No worries :lolol: ps: the "book a week" reference is a quote from the Office (the UK version)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Hughton, Potter, De Zerbi - all have done good things for this club.

However, I also see a similar progression in ownership over their managerial reign with Dick Knight and Tony Bloom

The pattern with both [Managers and Chairmen] is that each successor has been an upgrade on their predecessor.
This does not in anyway indicate the predecessor was not good for our club, only that we have got better by bringing in better managers.

Now we're doing the same with players, we are where we are and it is what it is ....

And long may it continue! UTA

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This is my position also. I was furious at the manner of his departure, gutting the club was unforgivable in my view. That does not change the fact that after two years the plan was finally coming together as we had finally begun to add goals to our beautiful football and left us in 4th place. Potter is a good coach, he did a good a job and De Zerbi took on a squad of football literate players who after a brief transition period were capable of implementing his ideas.

I booed Potter and his team in both games for the betrayal but that does not mean I do not acknowledge the work he had put in here. I felt fantastic after that thrashing of Leicester which ignited the European dream, only to feel sick a few days later when he walked out. Now we have RDZ breathing new life into us I have moved on from the Potter baiting, I’m just excited about our future.
Totally agree, and would add that Potter clearly didn't believe he could sustain the brief consistant performance/results that finally came at the end of last season/beginning of this. i.e. he did not believe that the plan was finally coming together or that he had the players to maintain that level. He jumped whilst he could as he did not believe he was capable of sustaining it.

That lack of belief, lack of faith, inability to see what could be achieved has held him back and will continue to. "If I wanted the easy life" = I'll take whatever excuses I can.

DeZerbi knew, he knew from afar, knew from "watching a few you-tube videos". The fact that potter didn't see it, couldn't believe it, didn't trust it is a very clear demonstration of the quality gap between the two. As is Guardiola's view on the two; Potter the best English coach in the PL, De Zerbi changing world football! The most important impact on the PL etc etc etc

I think Potter's blown it, he foolishly believed his own hype and didn't realise that it really wasn't all about him. He should really have listened to what he said before his ego and greed got in the way. What next for him - another failure will permanently damage his reputation, which means an established PL club will be the wrong choice. But does he have the character to drop into the Championship and prove himself again with a club that will give him time? Best scenario for him (and English football) would be Southgate buggering off and Potter getting the England gig - that would plump his obvious ego and allow him to restablish himself for a decent PL job after.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed, both changes of manager have been traumatic but pretty seamless.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I suspect we will be playing a team managed by GPott next season.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Totally agree, and would add that Potter clearly didn't believe he could sustain the brief consistant performance/results that finally came at the end of last season/beginning of this. i.e. he did not believe that the plan was finally coming together or that he had the players to maintain that level. He jumped whilst he could as he did not believe he was capable of sustaining it.

That lack of belief, lack of faith, inability to see what could be achieved has held him back and will continue to. "If I wanted the easy life" = I'll take whatever excuses I can.

DeZerbi knew, he knew from afar, knew from "watching a few you-tube videos". The fact that potter didn't see it, couldn't believe it, didn't trust it is a very clear demonstration of the quality gap between the two. As is Guardiola's view on the two; Potter the best English coach in the PL, De Zerbi changing world football! The most important impact on the PL etc etc etc

I think Potter's blown it, he foolishly believed his own hype and didn't realise that it really wasn't all about him. He should really have listened to what he said before his ego and greed got in the way. What next for him - another failure will permanently damage his reputation, which means an established PL club will be the wrong choice. But does he have the character to drop into the Championship and prove himself again with a club that will give him time? Best scenario for him (and English football) would be Southgate buggering off and Potter getting the England gig - that would plump his obvious ego and allow him to restablish himself for a decent PL job after.
So nothing to do with massive pile of money he now has? :unsure:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What about Gus Poyet and his “glass ceiling”
You see, to me, Poyet gets much more respect that GP. And I was a huge GP fan. Neither were nice departures and I do appreciate the great work of GP but all the back room staff and the final nail in the coffin of Winstanley mean I can’t ever like him again. It’s just done for me.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
His last 14 games we scored 27 goals, 1.93 per game. The transition to goal scoring side had already happened a combination of the likes of Caicedo and Mwepu coming good, belief in front of goal etc. Funny enough, 1.93 is 69 goals after 36 games.
So What were Potter's Chelsea scoring stats as a manager?

Edit:
Iv'e just looked and 36 goals from 36 games is not too great.

Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports