Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I remember feeling absolutely gutted when Potter and his coaching team left.

I have thought today though - would we be finishing the season where we are had they stayed?

Impossible to answer but I'm really not sure

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Thank you.

You started the change and contributed 30% of the points as manager to achieving the European dream.

No doubt you’re kicking yourself, but life moves on. Despite the haters you are the one that gave RDZ the platform and for that I’m grateful.
Fantastic post.
Anyone who was offered what he was would have left, it's not like he went to another club of our previous level, like Crystal Palace.
I want to thank him and the guys for changing our style of play of possession football it was always going to lead us Europe bound if we could have a similar manager, but I wasn't quite expecting the zing we would get from de Zerbi.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

I have thought today though - would we be finishing the season where we are had they stayed?

Well, based on the fact that when he left we had 13 points from 6 games, (having beaten Man U, West Ham, Leeds and Leicester, drawn against Newcastle and lost to Fulham), 13/6 = 2.16 points per game, so at this stage having played 36 games we'd now be on 78 points (2.16 x36=78), three points behind Arsenal and with a game in hand. With Arsenal losing all their games now and us getting 4 points from 2 games, we'd finish 2nd on 82 points. The problem with that would be that we'd therefore qualify for champions league football, and I don't think we're quite ready for that yet, so thank goodness he left when he did.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Fantastic post.
Anyone who was offered what he was would have left, it's not like he went to another club of our previous level, like Crystal Palace.
I want to thank him and the guys for changing our style of play of possession football it was always going to lead us Europe bound if we could have a similar manager, but I wasn't quite expecting the zing we would get from de Zerbi.
I think it's a matter of thanking Potter for his great contribution at the start of the season, coupled with a measure of extreme sadness, irritation and annoyance at his decision to leave us so suddenly without apparent regard for the feelings of so many who had given him immense support; then as far as I am aware he had no compunction about filleting our great club of anyone who might further his career and the success of toxic Chelsea. It is possible to feel genuine gratitude and deep anger simultaneously; I do.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well, based on the fact that when he left we had 13 points from 6 games, (having beaten Man U, West Ham, Leeds and Leicester, drawn against Newcastle and lost to Fulham), 13/6 = 2.16 points per game, so at this stage having played 36 games we'd now be on 78 points (2.16 x36=78), three points behind Arsenal and with a game in hand. With Arsenal losing all their games now and us getting 4 points from 2 games, we'd finish 2nd on 82 points. The problem with that would be that we'd therefore qualify for champions league football, and I don't think we're quite ready for that yet, so thank goodness he left when he did.
We were 6 over on the @Giraffe tracker when Potter left. A point a game. So, 38 over - which corresponds to 78 points at the end of the season.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I thought the same, but I believe we wouldnt have finished 6th under Potter.

Goals win games not Xg and RDZ has added more with more consistency.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
nah, you've over thought. you can have "best thing since" and the second is better than the first, which was better than those things before. Potter whipped the players into a style of play that encouraged passing, possession. it lack attacking instinct. DeZerbi added that, he'd rather win than grind out a draw.
Hmm... I suppose you are technically right: it could mean that the first thing is better, but it doesn't necessarily have to. It's a bit like someone who says they have 2 cars when they have more than 2. They're not lying if they say they have 2, because they do, it's just that they also have others. If one says that Messi is the best player since Pelé, it might imply that Pelé was better, but it might just mean that there has been no one better than Messi since Pelé, without necessarily meaning that Pelé was better than Messi. The thing is, if you don't think that Pelé is better than Messi, then why are you mentioning him? Why not Peter Ward? Messi is the best player since Peter Ward. People say that such-and-such a thing is the best thing since sliced bread, which sounds to me like they think that sliced bread is better than whatever this new thing is. Perhaps I am overthinking this.. 🤔

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But did he fail to mention that the shat contained wads of cash! He can do one!
To be fair he had wads of cash anyway. Money is all relative when a millionaire

personally I think he was

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I really don’t think Potter knew how good the Players were
I suspect he thought it was his coaching that was getting us our results rather than the players. He would be wrong if that was his thinking.

Hughton did the hardest thing which was getting us promoted and then keeping us up for two seasons in a row. Potter came in and built on that good work and benefited from excellent recruitment and emerging talents, which he had helped to nurture.

RDZ has come in with every tool at his disposal at the club and he's transformed the players, the playing style and added real belief to the whole club. He didn't hope for 6th, he demanded it, he worked for it, set that as the standard and has delivered it. The man is a force of nature.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here