Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmmm l doubt Leeds fans will have the patience and will demand positive results from the start, and instant promotion back to the Premier League. I think Potter will achieve results, but his methods take time to work.

I can see the sence in him taking over at a Championship club though, alb eit one whose fanbase have a little less in terms of instant expectation.

Leicester maybe? they have also been linked recently. Maybe even Southampton whose pursuit of Russell Martin seems to have hit a temporary buffer over compensation. We all know how Potter loves a project.
Well, we all know how Leeds fans will react - same as Chelsea's - "We're entitled to an internationally famous superstar manager, not some no-mark from teams like Brighton". Maybe their owner won't fold under demented entitled pressure like Toddy-boy did - after all, he's apparantly got bigger interests elsewere..........

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
What has the owner, allegedly, stealing millions of pounds of tax payers money got to do with the price of fish?

It was Potter not the owner who took them from rock bottom to the top flight of Swedish football not the owner.

The owner used this money to pay for Potter and the players that took them to the top flight and Europa League.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My managerial record is better than Lampard’s.

GP’s record seems to be;
Take a pub team with millions spent on it and get it up to a Micky Mouse league top division
Take a Championship (part Premier League) squad and fail to make the playoffs
Take a weak unestablished Premier League squad, flirt with relegation again, then improve it with some excellent and targeted investment (but not take it anywhere as far as his successor).
Take a billion pound Champions League winning squad - tinker around and take them to the bottom half of the League.
As a football club chairman, I would be a bit wary of that CV.
And if he does end up at Palace - well we will see how far he can take the perennial mid leaguers
My guess is the only way is down for them.
Fingers crossed
He left De Z with a team in 4th place in the PL, playing good football
Chelsea was a basket case when he took the job, and still is. Needs at least a couple of windows to resolve the stupid squad size, unhappy players etc. He may well have got it right given time but with their high % of noisy entitled bellend fans and naive in football terms owner he was never going to get that

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
What has the owner, allegedly, stealing millions of pounds of tax payers money got to do with the price of fish?

It was Potter not the owner who took them from rock bottom to the top flight of Swedish football not the owner.
And also a dose of having way more money than any other tean at that level. Nothing alleged about it - his was imprisoned for three years in 2019.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Chelsea was a basket case when he took the job, and still is. Needs at least a couple of windows to resolve the stupid squad size, unhappy players etc. He may well have got it right given time but with their high % of noisy entitled bellend fans and naive in football terms owner he was never going to get that
I'm very much convinced that a considerable trenche of the overpaid over-entitled players were very much aligned with those moronic fans too!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Quickly, the facts:

Ostersunds - took over when they were in the 4th division of the Swedish league; three promotions in 5 years; won the Swedish cup & qualifed for European football.
Swansea - inherited a depleted & broken squad, made them play some of the best football in the country ( not my verdict but Dan Ashworth's, hence why we hired him)
Albion - transformed playing style, best ever finish (until this season) leaving us 4th in the Premier League.
Chelsea - didn't work for a number of reasons, most beyond his control but still qualified for Champions League quarter-finals.

In what world is that "mediocre"?
Quickly the facts. Finished tenth in The Championship with Swansea. Steve Cooper took them over and beat this.

Two seasons flirting with relegation at Brighton followed with the team not doing much better than Hughton.

Top ten next season (could have been 14th, was with 45 mins of the season left) and then a good start to next season saw him leave for the first big six team to open the kimono.

Failed miserably, leading a £500 million squad and £63 million LWB, who he’d already worked with, towards Chelsea’s worst league position in decades, before getting the sack.

Described two average seasons and one good one at Brighton as “an easy life”

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It isn't only a high percentage of bellend fans at Chelsea either, the same term applies to many of their players too.

They must have been a nightmare to manage with their massive egos and sense of entitlement. I didn't envy him one bit.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Quickly, the facts:

Ostersunds - took over when they were in the 4th division of the Swedish league; three promotions in 5 years; won the Swedish cup & qualifed for European football.
Swansea - inherited a depleted & broken squad, made them play some of the best football in the country ( not my verdict but Dan Ashworth's, hence why we hired him)
Albion - transformed playing style, best ever finish (until this season) leaving us 4th in the Premier League.
Chelsea - didn't work for a number of reasons, most beyond his control but still qualified for Champions League quarter-finals.

In what world is that "mediocre"?
Good summary.
Clever lad and good manager most teams would thrive with him, had to go to Chelsea with that pay offer. I know some life long Chelsea fans and they don't lay any of their under performing at him this season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good summary.
Clever lad and good manager most teams would thrive with him, had to go to Chelsea with that pay offer. I know some life long Chelsea fans and they don't lay any of their under performing at him this season.

:lolol:

Evening Graham. Might I recommend the Potter thread on The Shed End?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not looked at anything all week - what’s the latest with him pls? Still in advanced talks with palace2010 which is what I was text? Difficult to find on google…

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
His wife I’d bet would prefer Nice for obvious reasons . South east London or SOF , such a difficult choice ( not )

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I’m still not convinced he won’t end up at Spurs, they seem to be being blown out more times than a wind sock, if Levy runs out of options will he see GP as a relatively ‘safe pair of hands’?

He‘s not going to get them relegated is he?

Edit. Just seen the Aussie bloke from Celtic is heavily odds on, so maybe next time GP 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here