Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter tells Brighton fans: Stop shouting 'shoot'... it's putting off our players

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We managed a calendar year with only 1 home win which was largely played out through lockdown.

Give it a rest.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Why do you think that is the case then? What is different between a home match and away match?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This thread is incredible. How is it still going?

The cult of Potter members still clinging on and finding fault with everyone from the paper to the supporters to back their man.

It is simple. Are we bad at scoring? Yes. Were comments by Potter about the crowd being unhelpful blown out of proportion by the headling writer? A bit, yes. Should he have said anything negative about a crowd who have put up with his dismal home form for nearly 3 years? No. Will this whole issue go away when we actually remember how to find the net again? Yes.

Give it a break.

Interesting to see the one man "Paul Barber is Satan" cult speaking about the "Graham Potter cult". Religious war.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What on earth are you on about :lolol:

I read his words. The actual quotes.

I then pointed out that the ACTUAL words he said are not the words being used in the thread title or the article title to create a story.

At NO point does he PLEA

At NO point does he EVEN ask people to stop shouting shoot.

YET people on here are kicking off that they are being begged to not shout it........WHEN THEY HAVENT.

Sure, he may well think it's unhelpful(WHICH HE DIDN'T SAY), but he probably thinks groaning at a missed pass isn't helpful. It doesn't mean he has PLEADED with people to stop.

I find it truly terrifying how people love to make up a story to suit their agenda, weirdly often to actively take offence at it.

"HOW DARE HE SAY THAT!!!"

He didn't.

"WELL....SURE HE MIGHT NOT HAVE SAID IT.....BUT HE PROBABLY THINKS IT!"

Sigh.

The inaccuracy of the thread title (the original headline of the article) in comparison to the contents of the article and actual quotes was addressed in the first 5 replies, and the actual conversation of the thread has been focused on actual quotes from the article (and the argus's coverage of same quotes), and offshoots of that conversation. No one is basing their comments in this thread on the old article title except those who think they are some how pointing out something that was missed over the last 2.5 days.

Anyway, this probably covers the thread:

This thread is incredible. How is it still going?

The cult of Potter members still clinging on and finding fault with everyone from the paper to the supporters to back their man.

It is simple. Are we bad at scoring? Yes. Were comments by Potter about the crowd being unhelpful blown out of proportion by the headling writer? A bit, yes. Should he have said anything negative about a crowd who have put up with his dismal home form for nearly 3 years? No. Will this whole issue go away when we actually remember how to find the net again? Yes.

Give it a break.

So I'm going to try not to bother with this thread anymore. (Can't guarantee I won't, but I'll try).

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Interesting to see the one man "Paul Barber is Satan" cult speaking about the "Graham Potter cult". Religious war.
Well I've never called him Satan so no, not really. Call them whatever, I just meant the people who can't see that he's a relatively young manager, very good at somethings, bad at others. Praise them for the good stuff, criticise for the shit stuff. Same as Barber.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Why do you think that is the case then? What is different between a home match and away match?

I assume you're attributing this to poor home support.

The problem is that is a group of 30,000 odd people, not a small group, all different and with different personalities, characters etc. So impossible to lay blame on them. You have to look at the path that has led them to behaving that way as a group.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The inaccuracy of the thread title (the original headline of the article) in comparison to the contents of the article and actual quotes was addressed in the first 5 replies, and the actual conversation of the thread has been focused on actual quotes from the article (and the argus's coverage of same quotes), and offshoots of that conversation. No one is basing their comments in this thread on the old article title except those who think they are some how pointing out something that was missed over the last 2.5 days.

Anyway, this probably covers the thread:

So I'm going to try not to bother with this thread anymore. (Can't guarantee I won't, but I'll try).

And yet there are people on pretty much every page popping in and saying GP is blaming the supporters or telling them to stop shouting, when in reality this didnt happen outside their own minds.

Edit: the post after this one is a great example of another individual unable to read a full-length article

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think Potter needs to stop blaming the fans for his own failings. Next home game I'm going to shout it, something I don't usually do, just to stand up for what's right.

Power to the people.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well I've never called him Satan so no, not really. Call them whatever, I just meant the people who can't see that he's a relatively young manager, very good at somethings, bad at others. Praise them for the good stuff, criticise for the shit stuff. Same as Barber.

While this is almost certainly true logically speaking, I doubt anyone in here has the knowledge to know what he is very good or bad at. I doubt anyone thinks everything he or anyone else does is great.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
And yet there are people on pretty much every page popping in and saying GP is blaming the supporters or telling them to stop shouting, when in reality this didnt happen outside their own minds.

Edit: the post after this one is a great example of another individual unable to read a full-length article

Not sure what the quote actually said but this appears to be a summary of it 'Graham Potter has admitted that some Brighton fans urging his players to “shoot, shoot, shoot” is presenting a “challenge”. IF this is the quote then WTF did Potter say it for unless he was unhappy with fans shouting 'shoot'.

This is the second time that he has questioned the support he really needs to say nothing and then at least he does not give the opportunity to fans to pick holes in what he has or has not said.

But whatever was said is irrelevant in so much as actions speak louder than words and our home form has been pretty lousy under him - you can play all the attractive football you like but fans want to see goals and wins and that's not happening.

The issue is not whether the crowd should shout shoot its why are we so slow to attack and he does not want to or cannot address that..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This thread is so, so weird. A load of weird middle aged men getting all upset at something that wasn't even said, despite being repeatedly shown it wasn't said.

"He needs to stop blaming the fans" etc etc. It's absolutely bizarre how people have reacted to one comment in which he said it is a bit of a challenge for the players when people are shouting 'shoot' when they get the ball. Do you honestly feel he is personally blaming you for the team's performance with this comment?

It's been mentioned already, but what would you bunch of absolute snowflakes do if he said ""We need it and we need to be better on the pitch. We're the first to admit it. But we need the crowd to be better. We need everybody on the front foot." like Tuchel did yesterday. How would you cope with that? Genuine question. And I think he should say something like that, because he'd be absolutely correct.

What an absolute bunch of pansies a large proportion of Brighton fans are. It's embarrassing.

Not sure what the quote actually said

This is the second time that he has questioned the support

Just WTF? Seriously!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What an absolute bunch of pansies a large proportion of Brighton fans are. It's embarrassing.

I mean, NSC is a very small subset of Albion fans. And it's a very small subset of NSC up in arms.

Also, you seem more wound up than anyone at this point :shrug:

Also, also..."snowflake" / "pansies"

Be better.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I mean, NSC is a very small subset of Albion fans. And it's a very small subset of NSC up in arms.

Also, you seem more wound up than anyone at this point :shrug:

Also, also..."snowflake" / "pansies"

Be better.

I guess so. I have no idea what the wider fanbase feels I suppose. I suspect most of them won't have even heard the quote, let alone been annoyed by it.

And I am not wound up, I'm laughing at it. Although that is exactly what somebody who is wound up would say, I guess.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I guess so. I have no idea what the wider fanbase feels I suppose. I suspect most of them won't have even heard the quote, let alone been annoyed by it.

And I am not wound up, I'm laughing at it. Although that is exactly what somebody who is wound up would say, I guess.

Yeah absolutely.

I had a little look over on Reddit, on the 'Soccer' subreddit, and the thread on there generated about 90 responses. Most of them from non-Albion fans.

Would wager, as you've said, for most people this is just the Wednesday before our inevitable humbling at the hands of Arsenal, blissfully unaware of the misinterpreted things our beige manager has said.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Pressure, I’ve said before this squad can’t deal with pressure whatsoever even the coach struggles. Away games don’t carry the same pressure to perform well.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This thread is so, so weird. A load of weird middle aged men getting all upset at something that wasn't even said, despite being repeatedly shown it wasn't said.

"He needs to stop blaming the fans" etc etc. It's absolutely bizarre how people have reacted to one comment in which he said it is a bit of a challenge for the players when people are shouting 'shoot' when they get the ball. Do you honestly feel he is personally blaming you for the team's performance with this comment?

It's been mentioned already, but what would you bunch of absolute snowflakes do if he said ""We need it and we need to be better on the pitch. We're the first to admit it. But we need the crowd to be better. We need everybody on the front foot." like Tuchel did yesterday. How would you cope with that? Genuine question. And I think he should say something like that, because he'd be absolutely correct.

Just WTF? Seriously!

Well the good news is you consider me middle aged , after that your comments go down hill and make very little sense as reaction to my post..

You posted a limited extract of my post , not sure why other than you think it served your agenda whatever that was What I clearly said was i don't know what he said (because I was not there) but if he did say about fans shouting shoot then he really is barking up the wrong tree the issue is our slow attacking at no point have i said i feel upset or insulted just that he is not focussing on the real issue.

P.S. I would be more than happy if he said , we need the fans to be the 12th man as its not going well .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Pressure, I’ve said before this squad can’t deal with pressure whatsoever even the coach struggles. Away games don’t carry the same pressure to perform well.

agreed and that contributes to the slow build up whereas away we are faster and more fluid especially on the counter

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
A lot of hot air about some purported hot air.

The root is quite simple: 10 goals from 16 home League games is dire, the worst GS per home game in PL.

But it is actually worse than that: 6 of the 10 are from set pieces. 4 goals scored from open play at home is awful;

But it is actually worse than that: of the 4 goals, one was OG, one resulted from a poor clearance (2nd v Watford), and one was an inspired pass direct from midfield delicately slotted home (1st v Brentford).

So...by my reckoning, the 2nd v Brentford is the ONLY PL goal scored at home resulting from what we reasonably could call a flowing move. Beyond an adjective.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lot of hot air about some purported hot air.

The root is quite simple: 10 goals at home is dire.

But it is actually worse than that: 4 goals scored from open play in 16 home League games is awful;

But it is actually worse than that: of the 4 goals, one was OG, one resulted from a poor clearance (2nd v Watford), and one was an inspired pass direct from midfield delicately slotted home (1st v Brentford).

So...by my reckoning, the 2nd v Brentford is the ONLY PL goal scored at home resulting from what we could call a flowing move. Beyond an adjective.

3 home goals from open play all season :lolol:

There are teams who score that many in a game.

2021/22 at the Amex may well go down as a pile of :shit:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here