Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter tells Brighton fans: Stop shouting 'shoot'... it's putting off our players

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you think about what gets fans off their seat and how we play can you really blame them? Players like Knockhaert get the fans going not March checking back and hitting the first man every time he attempts a cross.

It depends what you want, I guess. Do people really prefer a silent Amex to a wall of noise that spurs the players on and intimidates opposition players? Would it not be better if the Amex was roaring to inspire the players, rather than people turning up expecting to be entertained, and only getting an atmosphere going if the players do well? I know which option I'd rather play in if I was a player.

It says a lot about the disconnect between the fans understanding of the game and the players playing it when you bring up players such as Knockaert. A guy who gets the fans on their feet but is totally inadequate as a Premier League footballer.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not allowed to shout shooot ? Ok onto plan B then https://youtu.be/YBPYHAI4pqA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of people did this at Blackburn away on a snowy January Saturday in 2016 after we'd had a 6 match goalless run of 0-3, 0-0, 0-1, 0-1 and 0-2. Obviously worked as we scored within about 5 minutes of KO (and held on for our first win in 8) and then scored 40 goals in the next 19 league fixtures!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why not? The fans at the Amex have been absolutely shit for most of this season. The worst atmosphere in the league.

It's amazing how many of our fans are happy to sit on their hands in silence, making no effort to lift the team, and then get all precious about an off the cuff comment from the manager that should barely even register as a slight against them.

It's not like he's saying "The fans are so quiet, they're not helping the situation at all, if they would just give us some backing it might help improve our chances", is it? Which is probably what he wants to say, as it is absolutely true.

Football fans are so weird sometimes.

:ffsparr:

Oh man oh man, I'm going to tell you a little bit about support the way I've been told here it works...

Lets say your friend, who you say you love, has had a couple of rough months. Lost everything, and a bit of a wreck now. Habitually you drive to the pub where you know he'll be each Saturday.

He is looking pretty down. You stare at him silently for about 80 minutes. After a while, a tear runs down his cheek. You groan... you make sure the groan is loud enough for him to hear it.
"I paid to get here," you tell him. "And you're not entertaining me."
He fights to hold back his tears but it isnt easy.
"Sorry, I'm just having a really rough time now..." he says, wiping his tears.
"Boo," you say.
"... what? You're not helping..," he admits, trying to regain some confidence.
"Boo. I helped you 25 years ago and now you need to entertain me," you say.
He looks at you.
"You mean when they were taking my house, you came and said 'no' and they took it anyway?"
"Yes. Booooo," you repeat.
"I'm gonna head home," he says.
"Boo. See you next week."

A couple of months of this happening week out week in, your friend is suddenly cheerful. He fought hard to get his wife, job and dog back and finally made it.
"Hello buddy," you say and give him a pet on the head. "We made it through this!"
"Hmm.. yeah. Thank you," he says, looking down on the floor with a dodgy smile.
"I'm gonna give you a lil' applaud here and maybe sing for you?"
"Oh that would be great," he says.
Once that is done, you hug eachother, and afterwards you go stand in front of the mirror ******* like a chimp in a cage while repeating "damn it, I'm such a great and supportive friend!"

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It depends what you want, I guess. Do people really prefer a silent Amex to a wall of noise that spurs the players on and intimidates opposition players? Would it not be better if the Amex was roaring to inspire the players, rather than people turning up expecting to be entertained, and only getting an atmosphere going if the players do well? I know which option I'd rather play in if I was a player.

It says a lot about the disconnect between the fans understanding of the game and the players playing it when you bring up players such as Knockaert. A guy who gets the fans on their feet but is totally inadequate as a Premier League footballer.
He was in and out in the top flight granted although I’d rather have a few Knockhaert v Manure performances than what’s being served up now he was un playable that night. Great atmosphere to. Three home wins all season or whatever it is I think it’s harsh digging the fans out tbh. If you take our last decent home performance v Chelsea great atmosphere.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Why not? The fans at the Amex have been absolutely shit for most of this season. The worst atmosphere in the league.

It's amazing how many of our fans are happy to sit on their hands in silence, making no effort to lift the team, and then get all precious about an off the cuff comment from the manager that should barely even register as a slight against them.

It's not like he's saying "The fans are so quiet, they're not helping the situation at all, if they would just give us some backing it might help improve our chances", is it? Which is probably what he wants to say, as it is absolutely true.

This "argument" always makes me chuckle.

We have players on £30K A WEEK and upwards who are paid those ridiculous sums to perform and provide us, the fans, with entertainment. That is what we pay our hard earned cash for.

When we have a manager who seems incapable of giving us entertainment and performance it's the fans fault for not making enough noise.

You couldn't make it up.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

We have players on £30K A WEEK and upwards who are paid those ridiculous sums to perform and provide us, the fans, with entertainment. That is what we pay our hard earned cash for.

When we have a manager who seems incapable of giving us entertainment and performance it's the fans fault for not making enough noise.

You couldn't make it up.

I'd really like someone to do a study on the decibel levels in football grounds, over a season, and how they relate to on-field performance.

I would happily wager that most grounds are pretty quiet overall barring spikes for goals / contentious decisions / a bit of panto.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
We had three corners on the spin on Saturday almost resulting in three goals... and it got proper loud.

I turned to my mate and said - 'Look what it'd be like if we attacked with a bit of purpose'.

That's not our fault.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

On the thread itself I do not agree and feels like a clutch for a negative that simply is not there.

However on our fans I would say you are doing them a disservice as given our home record I think they have largely remained supportive and behind this manager and team. There are numerous other clubs whose fans have become far more toxic for much less and the fact ours have not (the Leeds boo event was pretty minimal in the ground compared to how reported) I think shows the majority are firmly behind the team and manager.

Yes the atmosphere has been poor of late but there has been very little to get fans on their feet. Yes it should not be solely on the players to lift the crowd but there has been so little to cheer at the Amex this season it is hardly surprising the atmosphere has suffered a bit.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Has Potter failed ? Blimey.
He's kept Albion in the Premier League. For three years now.
That might be failure for some - perhaps even Bloom might have run out of patience - but then Dyche (relegation probably x 2 ) and Howe (relegation) must also be top level failures let alone all the managers who couldn't keep their teams out of the bottom three or stay in the PL for longer than a season or two.

I didn't say he failed, I said the other three had failed as managers after being successful coaches, I asked if was a coach rather than a manager?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
:ffsparr:

Oh man oh man, I'm going to tell you a little bit about support the way I've been told here it works...

Lets say your friend, who you say you love, has had a couple of rough months. Lost everything, and a bit of a wreck now. Habitually you drive to the pub where you know he'll be each Saturday.

He is looking pretty down. You stare at him silently for about 80 minutes. After a while, a tear runs down his cheek. You groan... you make sure the groan is loud enough for him to hear it.
"I paid to get here," you tell him. "And you're not entertaining me."
He fights to hold back his tears but it isnt easy.
"Sorry, I'm just having a really rough time now..." he says, wiping his tears.
"Boo," you say.
"... what? You're not helping..," he admits, trying to regain some confidence.
"Boo. I helped you 25 years ago and now you need to entertain me," you say.
He looks at you.
"You mean when they were taking my house, you came and said 'no' and they took it anyway?"
"Yes. Booooo," you repeat.
"I'm gonna head home," he says.
"Boo. See you next week."

A couple of months of this happening week out week in, your friend is suddenly cheerful. He fought hard to get his wife, job and dog back and finally made it.
"Hello buddy," you say and give him a pet on the head. "We made it through this!"
"Hmm.. yeah. Thank you," he says, looking down on the floor with a dodgy smile.
"I'm gonna give you a lil' applaud here and maybe sing for you?"
"Oh that would be great," he says.
Once that is done, you hug eachother, and afterwards you go stand in front of the mirror ******* like a chimp in a cage while repeating "damn it, I'm such a great and supportive friend!"

Does the friend earn £50K a week, drive two different sports cars, dress head to toe in very obvious designer gear, spend most of their life posting on Insta about how great they are and ended up in such a bad situation because they were required to do one simple thing and couldn't?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Does the friend earn £50K a week, drive two different sports cars, dress head to toe in very obvious designer gear, spend most of their life posting on Insta about how great they are and ended up in such a bad situation because they were required to do one simple thing and couldn't?

If you love him and wants him to do well does it matter how he ended up in the bad situation or should you still try to help him? And for the record he was trying to do a pretty difficult thing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You couldn't make it up.

There's about 10 000 cities in the world and in 9999 of them people believe they should help their football teams to victories rather than sit and wait for the entertainment.

But dont worry, the manager will be on his way soon enough.

In Brighton owners, managers and players come and go, the only thing that remains consistent is the fans and the dust in the trophy room.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
First it was a history lesson and now it's this nonsense. Maybe he's trying the Ferguson tactic of taking flak publically to distract from the failings of the team?

Or maybe he's just in need of a history lesson of where his career was going before we bafflingly decided to appoint him as manager.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you love him and wants him to do well does it matter how he ended up in the bad situation or should you still try to help him? And for the record he was trying to do a pretty difficult thing.

Well, that's sort of the point. People who spend all day on Insta dripping in money or hanging around night clubs in Brighton getting into trouble tend not to be well loved.

Players like Wardy, Nelson and Keeley in the late 80s, Johnny Byrne, any of the players who truly tried to keep the team in the league like Storer, Mayo and Reinalt or those like Zamora, Cullip or Watson who ran out of Portakabins, over a running track and out in front of 6000 people they couldn't hear and still won trophies? Definitely loved.

Your average fan these days has absolutely zero in common with the players and most clubs who are renowned for their intimidating atmosphere are either doing it all for their own ego (Newcastle) or a shadow of their intimidating past (Millwall for example).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There's about 10 000 cities in the world and in 9999 of them people believe they should help their football teams to victories rather than sit and wait for the entertainment.

But dont worry, the manager will be on his way soon enough.

In Brighton owners, managers and players come and go, the only thing that remains consistent is the fans and the dust in the trophy room.
You obviously don’t get to live football matches that much. Carefully placed mics on live TV games isn’t giving you the full picture.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Glad you said it. I couldn’t be bothered to reply to such nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here