Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Potter will be a good appointment imo , But it’s dragging on abit . Maybe he’s having a re think and Phil has push to the top of the list .

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Or someone within the senior management of the Albion made contact with Potter's agents to get an indication, and took the initial positive response at face value without delving deeper. Family issues etc. Seems as if that person may have dropped a massive bollock. My money, Ashworth.

or maybe, everyone involved is behaving diligently and it's all going extremely well.
just a thought

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He has been exceptionally successful in his career to date.
I would suspect if he gets assurances that the team he is building, is kept for next season, then he would back himself to be pushing for promotion.
Juxtapose that with a set up he doesn't know/trust, that is currently heading in the opposite direction. He might well think he has a better chance of being a premier league manager, by staying put (and further increasing his reputation)

And there I was thinking that we're the most attractive option purely on the basis because I support the club. I hadn't considered there might be other factors to it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree! If you have a no1 target, make sure he definitely does want to join you before sacking your manager. Others on the 'short list' seem uninspiring if the Phil Neville thread has any credibility. Smacks of Ashworth wanting to 'show his worth' to the club.
Smacks to me of 'we don't just have one no1 target'. How did you get to see this uninspiring shortlist?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
No no no, Potter hasn't joined us instantly, therefore he HATES us, therefore Bloom has made a terrible error, therefore we are doomed. Honestly, reading some of the dimwit comments on here from people who literally haven't got a clue what's happening (because none of us have) so have made up their own version, which they are furious about, is embarrassing.

this post should be a "sticky" at the top of every new manager thread page to soothe the brows of the more hysterical end of the spectrum

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just a side note I wonder if Tony thought that Potter would jump at the chance of coming here and hoped he'd be here now quick and easy and has not expected albeit slight delay and the possibility that Potter might not fancy the role
No. The club do due diligence on players, there's no way they'd sack the manager and just assume Potter would be rushing over. It seems common knowledge that moving his family last time was a big deal, so that would be at least one hurdle to overcome. We would also have expected Swansea to offer him more to stay. We also know that we are a club that needs a lot of work if we're to fit Potter's style, and that's not easy in the PL, with the possibility of relegation being a real threat.

I really shouldn't have to say this, but Bloom isn't a ****ing idiot.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or someone within the senior management of the Albion made contact with Potter's agents to get an indication, and took the initial positive response at face value without delving deeper.
No. We wouldn't have sacked our manager based on an indication from a bloody agent (who is always going to want to drum up interest in their player/manager).

Seems as if that person may have dropped a massive bollock. My money, Ashworth.
I said no already! You've already found the guilty party for something that never happened.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cash strapped mid table maybe but knows the players will probably be pushing for promotion next season young talent he has progressed compared to a team that just stayed up will need a lot of work and likely to be in a long relegation scrap next season too!!! Perhaps not so enticing after all
I agree that there's no guarantee that Potter would want to leave Swansea. Our club will have known that.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
or maybe, everyone involved is behaving diligently and it's all going extremely well.
just a thought

Of course, it's only a hunch, but the delay is a concern. Due diligence in the initial planning process often saves delays and reduces the risk of a bollock being dropped. Bookies were starting to take bets on the new Brighton Manager before Hughton got the sack and Potter was 1/8 on. So some contact must have been had and it appears as if Potter's assistant wasn't as discrete as he should have been.
Hopefully it will be all tied up soon, but the longer this drags on the greater the chance of Potter not coming off and us having to rely on others on the short list.
If Phil Neville is on the short list ( and that is just a rumour of course) then I would be really concerned. Uninspiring as a personality to say the least, and I doubt very much whether he'd walk away from the Woman's England team before the World Cup.
Obviously there are other possible candidates, but are they better placed to make progress with BHA than Hughton was?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would suspect if he gets assurances that the team he is building, is kept for next season, then he would back himself to be pushing for promotion.
Well he already knows that he's likely to lose Daniel James.

Juxtapose that with a set up he doesn't know/trust, that is currently heading in the opposite direction. He might well think he has a better chance of being a premier league manager, by staying put (and further increasing his reputation)
I don't completely disagree with you, but 'heading in the opposite direction' isn't right. We came close to relegation, but we're still a club on the up, and looking to improve with a new manager. We're currently 5/2 to get relegated - so the bookies think we won't be. Swansea will be quite long odds to get promoted, we know how hard it is to get out of that division.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

They won’t improve without investment, they will lose their best player, they will go backwards or stabilise at best. Even if we get relegated we would only be at the same level with far greater chance of promotion. Our infrastructure is better in every way than theirs. Other than that you are spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He's been gone less than a week. The point of saving him immediately was to give a much time s possible for recruitment. Its also impossible to have a manager in place if that manager is employed elsewhere. It takes a little time, and it is just a little time that has elapsed. This thread is indicative of the 'now now now' generation

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Or someone within the senior management of the Albion made contact with Potter's agents to get an indication, and took the initial positive response at face value without delving deeper. Family issues etc. Seems as if that person may have dropped a massive bollock. My money, Ashworth.

I find it strange that people assume there are problems and assume that those problems are down to Ashworth. From what I see he appears to have a competent cv behind him which suggests that the least likely thing is he has dropped a bollock....assuming a bollock has even been dropped in the first place

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He's spoken with them, they've offered him an improved deal, if reports are to be believed. There is very little chance, if he is as astute as he appears to be, that he will not take the chance to at least hear what we have to say.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Can't have much of that then if you also believe that

Right, look at it logically... we were mid-table in December. We really are not that far off of getting back there. The assumption is a good one IMHO. You are just being far far too pessimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Obviously there are other possible candidates, but are they better placed to make progress with BHA than Hughton was?

Based on our season from early December until the end of the season Hughton is the last person I'd want in charge for 2019/2020. Sorry, that will upset a lot on here but we were bloody awful. Awful at everything for at least 23 games. It will take some determined effort for the new man to match that.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here