Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Seems to me we are looking for a change of style with the manager and with the set up. DA will be heavily involved with recruitment and the style of football TB wants to achieve at this level. Looking at what DA has done with England and Southgate, is Potter going to be a yes man to the bosses above him.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Not sure if this has already been posted but from here...

https://www.90min.com/posts/6068645-7-things-you-probably-didn-t-know-about-swansea-s-soon-to-be-manager-graham-potter

This is where we get to the juicy stuff. The tactics. Finally, what we've all been waiting for. According to Swedish footballing legend Henrikh Larsson, he keeps his teams extremely tactically astute.

"The way he is able to change his pattern of play during games is so impressive," Larsson told the Independent. "[He] played all different kinds of systems, starting off a match one way, and then halfway through they started playing a different system, and then they ended up with a third system. And all the players knew exactly what they were doing."

We are crying out for a coach who can do this....:O

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm surprised by the number of people who aren't happy with the potential appointment of Potter. He strikes me as a bold and exciting choice.

And I'm certainly disconcerted by the number of people who want a tried and tested PL manager (Allardyce, Pulis, Moyes, Hughes etc). It would do my nut in to see BFS roll up in the close season and waddle into the dugout.

Potter would signal a very different direction; it may not work, but it will be exciting

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If as suggested he is a good coach perhaps he will get the best out of Andone Locadia and Propper in their best positions and thus protect TB investment or if not take a loss on their sale, perhaps in January if not the summer thus giving them the chance to show an improvement..

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Totally agree......The tried and tested list,is pretty uninspiring,with top men,unattainable.......Potter it is ?

There are some decent managers out there that don't fall under the 'tried and tested' list. But the best manager for the job left yesterday, imo.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If as suggested he is a good coach perhaps he will get the best out of Andone Locadia and Propper in their best positions and thus protect TB investment or if not take a loss on their sale, perhaps in January if not the summer thus giving them the chance to show an improvement..

And Gross, CH played him as a winger recently which was plain stupid

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not sure if this has already been posted but from here...

https://www.90min.com/posts/6068645-7-things-you-probably-didn-t-know-about-swansea-s-soon-to-be-manager-graham-potter

This is where we get to the juicy stuff. The tactics. Finally, what we've all been waiting for. According to Swedish footballing legend Henrikh Larsson, he keeps his teams extremely tactically astute.

"The way he is able to change his pattern of play during games is so impressive," Larsson told the Independent. "[He] played all different kinds of systems, starting off a match one way, and then halfway through they started playing a different system, and then they ended up with a third system. And all the players knew exactly what they were doing."

We are crying out for a coach who can do this....:O

Yeah but footballs are different shapes in other leagues, that's why he simply can't cut in in the prem

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Thats him talking about his time as a player, I doubt there are any teams in the Prem who now take this approach.

I read it all, most of it was a load of waffle. Nothing to suggest he is better than Chris. All very heavy on creating a culture players feel comfortable in and not consentrating on failure, only improvement. A lot of what is spoken about is purely theory, its only results that count at the end of the day.

That's what psychology is, what do you expect?

It's also an insight into his philosophy, which is not to spend the majority of the game camped in your own penalty area. Not to be frozen by fear and to be brave enough to express yourself.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yeah but footballs are different shapes in other leagues, that's why he simply can't cut in in the prem

Next year, we're up against the two Champions League finalists and the two Europa League finalists. Plus a Myriad of clubs who have better squads than us.

He's done well elsewhere and the Arsenal & Man City performances were impressive, but, fatuous responses aside, you cannot compare opposition against the likes of Rotherham, Milwall and Jonkopings Sodra to what he will face here.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That's what psychology is, what do you expect?

It's also an insight into his philosophy, which is not to spend the majority of the game camped in your own penalty area. Not to be frozen by fear and to be brave enough to express yourself.

The Jokanovic/Wagner model. That worked out great in the top league.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

For every bad example, there is a good example

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So Swansea must have already given permission to speak to Potter and maybe because he would be considered a steal by Ashworth in an advisory capacity the timing was right with Swansea not making the playoffs.

We are in talks with him today going by this article so could happen very soon. If he has a brother called Harry we could see some magic on the pitch.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...uit-graham-potter-chris-hughtons-replacement/

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The're known as projects now aren't they, and I presume they didn't feel CH style was the future or the identity of our club.

Just spit balling here, but I'm guessing that TB along with DA have a vision of how the club wants to progress in the top flight, inc how we play and the ongoing recruitment to support that.

I'd guess all teams from the first 11 to the youth teams will all be playing the same way eventually like they do at clubs like Barca and Ajax etc, and they want a young forward thining manager at the helm of that .

It would appear that Potter is their man.

I doubt TB or DA wanted to spend another £60 mill on players just to have them camped on the 18 yard line all season.

Good post.

However, given where we were when we came up, isn’t there an argument that CH was on a project, building a solid base and then developing the squad?

It’s just that the players purchased in the last 12 months (Bernardo aside), currently do not look good enough.

I would also argue that the U23s although slightly more offensive (mainly due to the opposition), play in a similar way to the first team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Next year, we're up against the two Champions League finalists and the two Europa League finalists. Plus a Myriad of clubs who have better squads than us.

I don't see why having a manager who is experienced at losing against those sides would be a good thing.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Wagner worked miracles with that squad.

And for every Jokanovic there's a Brendan Rodgers or a Ralph Hassenhuttl.

Chris had his chance and blew it, he's gone, get over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here