[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Respectfully, I think the things you're talking about are partly what is, in my opinion, holding us back. Alzate doesn't contribute to the attack, neither does Dan Burn although I'll admit that he has been a big surprise. My expectations of him were so low that all he really needed to do was be able to move and I'd have been surprised. He's a very athletic player but he's not got any quality at all. He can't contribute in attack either.

Keeping the ball forever is fine but there's no real creativity going forward because there are too many players who either can't contribute or they're in the wrong positions to get the most out of them. Mooy's not a winger, but that's where he plays. Trossard is a winger playing centrally for no benefit to the team.

March came on yesterday to play left wing back to move to three at the back and he did less than nothing going forward. I've not been impressed with Potter this season but it takes a manager time to stamp their mark on the squad. Hopefully next season he'll settle down his team selections, resume playing genuine wingers on the wing and the formation won't change every time a sub comes on which disrupts the flow of the team and usually prevents us producing anything late on. Obviously Arsenal is a glorious exception and it was recent, so that's what matters - but look at the whole season and see how ineffective the changes have been and how rare it is for us to come from behind. This time next year we'll have completed a second season with Potter so it will be fairer to judge him, but right now, this is how I feel. But I'm not suggesting we should make a change, not at all. We've made our choice and he's going to achieve the aim of survival.

You seem to be incredibly harsh on Potter, Alzate, Burn. Why not attack the whole team?

Alzate definitely contributes in attack. He's not scored yet but he definitely offers something going forward. He's got into good positions but just needs to get a goal. He's had a fantastic season and would probably been loaned out again under Hughton.

Burn has been fantastic too. I'd prefer Bernardo at left back but Potter must have his reasons and Burn has generally been excellent, including being an outlet for crossing and winning the ball in the air on the wing.

Potter regularly makes tactical changes during the game. You say above that Arsenal he made good changes yet gave him 1/10, which seems odd. He has come in and tried to completely change the way we're playing. He's become a bit more pragmatic lately because we didn't take advantage of games we dominated in the first half of the season and were struggling. That is a good sign to me. It shows he can adapt. I really don't see your issue with Potter and your posts sound like you have an agenda against him

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I respect the differing opinions, but what I'll say is that we've won 7 games out of 31. We've scored 34 goals in those games, just over an average of one per game. If you think that's enough, no problem. Personally, I don't. I think we should be aiming to score more goals, win more games. To do that, you have to get more out of the players in the team and the immediate attention for me would be the players who have been regulars but who haven't contributed to our goalscoring.

On the other hand, we've only conceded 41 goals and we've managed 12 draws. Just behind Wolves and Arsenal with 13 draws each. I think we're very close to being a good team, but I am frustrated by certain aspects of the squad and the formation and tactics. If this isn't the place to mention them, then I'm not sure what it's for.

Well. He set one up, then won us a penalty in his 2 (not full) appearances since the lockdown. Fired one narrowly over against Leci in the first half as well. He looks like he'll score to me

He's only scored in one game all season. I think that speaks for itself.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I respect the differing opinions, but what I'll say is that we've won 7 games out of 31. We've scored 34 goals in those games, just over an average of one per game. If you think that's enough, no problem. Personally, I don't. I think we should be aiming to score more goals, win more games. To do that, you have to get more out of the players in the team and the immediate attention for me would be the players who have been regulars but who haven't contributed to our goalscoring.

On the other hand, we've only conceded 41 goals and we've managed 12 draws. Just behind Wolves and Arsenal with 13 draws each. I think we're very close to being a good team, but I am frustrated by certain aspects of the squad and the formation and tactics. If this isn't the place to mention them, then I'm not sure what it's for.

He's only scored in one game all season. I think that speaks for itself.

I don’t think anyone would disagree with what you are saying - and of course it is very obvious. The question is - how? We’re in the Premier League with a small budget in comparison.

Bloom not stupid and he will be aware that this is a long term building plan over many transfer windows.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Sorry, what?

Open to you giving me statistics to the contrary, but feels like we have consistently bounced back after going a goal down, sometimes multiple goals down. We just haven't been able to subsequently take the lead or hold a lead, hence the amount of draws we have.

Edit: Had a quick look at our last 7 games, we equalised against Arsenal, Sheffield United, Watford, and twice against West Ham in the same game. You're going to have to do some convincing.

Outside of the "Big 6", only Wolves and Sheff Utd have secured more points coming from behind. You are right!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry, what?

Open to you giving me statistics to the contrary, but feels like we have consistently bounced back after going a goal down, sometimes multiple goals down. We just haven't been able to subsequently take the lead or hold a lead, hence the amount of draws we have.

Edit: Had a quick look at our last 7 games, we equalised against Arsenal, Sheffield United, Watford, and twice against West Ham in the same game. You're going to have to do some convincing.

....also came from behind (I think) v West Ham at home, Everton (win) and Wolves to get at least a point.....how does that compare with last season ??

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Outside of the "Big 6", only Wolves and Sheff Utd have secured more points coming from behind. You are right!

If that's true then my perception is wrong and I'll readily admit it. We have definitely improved since the turn of the year, West Ham away and Everton at home spring to mind. I might be wrong in that criticism.

I don’t think anyone would disagree with what you are saying - and of course it is very obvious. The question is - how? We’re in the Premier League with a small budget in comparison.

Bloom not stupid and he will be aware that this is a long term building plan over many transfer windows.

Stop playing Mooy on the wing, for a start? I honestly believe that our players are better than we're seeing but I might be wrong about that as well. Perhaps the players aren't as good as I think they are but I strongly believe the players are better than we've seen. For example, there is no way Davy Pröpper should only be scoring 1 goal a season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For example, there is no way Davy Pröpper should only be scoring 1 goal a season.

Been the same under 2 managers though so [emoji2375]

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Been the same under 2 managers though so [emoji2375]

But nobody pretends that Hughton wanted our team to attack, ever.

I honestly believed Potter would unleash our players in an attacking sense, but I haven't felt that way most of the season. Arsenal away was a highlight and the performance at Palace was very good as well, without the quality in the final third. We need more out of our players in the final third and we have from when we got promoted onwards. This is a tougher league but does anyone genuinely believe we should be as poor as we've been for long periods of time?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That's correct, you strange little fella in a basement in Sweden.

Respectfully, I think the things you're talking about are partly what is, in my opinion, holding us back. Alzate doesn't contribute to the attack, neither does Dan Burn although I'll admit that he has been a big surprise. My expectations of him were so low that all he really needed to do was be able to move and I'd have been surprised. He's a very athletic player but he's not got any quality at all. He can't contribute in attack either.

Keeping the ball forever is fine but there's no real creativity going forward because there are too many players who either can't contribute or they're in the wrong positions to get the most out of them. Mooy's not a winger, but that's where he plays. Trossard is a winger playing centrally for no benefit to the team.

March came on yesterday to play left wing back to move to three at the back and he did less than nothing going forward. I've not been impressed with Potter this season but it takes a manager time to stamp their mark on the squad. Hopefully next season he'll settle down his team selections, resume playing genuine wingers on the wing and the formation won't change every time a sub comes on which disrupts the flow of the team and usually prevents us producing anything late on. Obviously Arsenal is a glorious exception and it was recent, so that's what matters - but look at the whole season and see how ineffective the changes have been and how rare it is for us to come from behind. This time next year we'll have completed a second season with Potter so it will be fairer to judge him, but right now, this is how I feel. But I'm not suggesting we should make a change, not at all. We've made our choice and he's going to achieve the aim of survival.

Wow! I’ve read some misguided things on here recently but that is right up there! Wrong on nearly every point.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Wow! I’ve read some misguided things on here recently but that is right up there! Wrong on nearly every point.

Are you saying that you're happy with the season, and how we've played?

You don't expect more from any of the individual players? Do you think these players are playing at their absolute peak? I can't accept that they are, because it means a future of bottom third of the league until eventual relegation and being back in a truly competitive league.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
But nobody pretends that Hughton wanted our team to attack, ever.

I honestly believed Potter would unleash our players in an attacking sense, but I haven't felt that way most of the season. Arsenal away was a highlight and the performance at Palace was very good as well, without the quality in the final third. We need more out of our players in the final third and we have from when we got promoted onwards. This is a tougher league but does anyone genuinely believe we should be as poor as we've been for long periods of time?

We've already scored as many goals as we did in our first season up and one less than last season and we've got seven games to go.

I am not sure exactly what you expected him to do. We've clearly played more attacking football. We've had more possession and dominated teams but the final ball/shot has not quite been there. That is because we are Brighton and have limited resources. Newcastle and West Ham signed £40 million strikers this summer and neither has as many goals as Maupay.

We have scored nowhere near the least goals in the league and it was clear in the first half of the season we were close to a very good Premier League team. I think with another transfer window or two with Potter in charge we could get even better. We weren't that attractive to attacking players under Hughton I would think, as they would often be isolated. Whereas we'll now be able to show how we played the first half of the season under Potter and potential signings with a bit more quality may well join.

It just feels like you are looking for reasons to criticise him. Yes, none of us are ever going to agree with every decision the manager makes. But we are currently 15th. Hopefully we are going to stay up and we've been far better to watch this season generally. I am much more confident of the future now than I was this time last year

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

You don't expect more from any of the individual players? Do you think these players are playing at their absolute peak? I can't accept that they are, because it means a future of bottom third of the league until eventual relegation and being back in a truly competitive league.

You are misreading everything people put to spin it your own way. Would people be happy if we were still in this position after three or four years under Potter with most of the team being his signings. No, they wouldn't. Are most people happy with us being 15th after playing better football than last season in Potter's first season in charge? Of course they are.

And seriously, have you ever know a manager who got the best out of every player?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You are persistent, which (I think, but am not certain) is admirable. Can I say that, yes, I'm happy with the season, and how we've played, in general. In one of your other posts, you indicated that you think (or want?) we should be doing better. I'm not sure of that. We've come such a long way with Bloom but, without doubt, the latest mission he's set the club is the most difficult.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Even so this season shouldn't have been as tough as it has been.
Naturally I'm going to point at the strikers (or lack of) and seemingly I can also cast an over the fans.

Even so an awful lot of points have been needlessly left on the pitch for which the manager has to carry the can.

You can only be in a false position for so long before it's no longer false.
We aren't watching a bottom 5 side and yet that's exactly what we had become since December and chances are would have been worse, not better, were it not for the break.

Yes but that’s the issue isn’t it? Our complete failure in 3 years to fully resolve the striker issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I respect the differing opinions, but what I'll say is that we've won 7 games out of 31. We've scored 34 goals in those games, just over an average of one per game. If you think that's enough, no problem. Personally, I don't.

What do you expect? Do you think Potter should have us challenging for Top 4? Because that’s close to the standard you’re demanding of him.

I think you’re being extremely harsh and unrealistic.

Look at where we finished under Hughton. Look at HOW we finished, and how we played under Hughton. We were hanging on for dear life in most games. And survived
last season basically on the back of a terrible decision against Cardiff.

In less than a full season GP has completely invigorated the team, brought in some excellent players. We’ve dominated some PL games with 70% possession, and been in nearly every game. That was unthinkable last season.

This isn’t football manager or FIFA, it sounds like you expect us to be challenging for Europe. Already Potter has achieved so much, and if we stay up (which I’m sure you agree is likely) then who knows how far we can go.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes but that’s the issue isn’t it? Our complete failure in 3 years to fully resolve the striker issue.

Maupay’s signing has nearly cracked it for me. Not all PL clubs start with a giant centre forward.

But signing a younger Muzza-esque player, of top flight quality, would be the icing on the cake.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sometimes I think potter is a forward-thinking genius, on the cusp of creating a scintillating young team, playing the kind of football I’ve never before seen from the stripes.
Sometimes I think he’s an out-of-his-depth classroom coach whose big idea didn’t work and is now floundering around.
I don’t think there will be an in between. He will either end up becoming our greatest manager or a massive disappointment.
Definitely cause for optimism in the last two games. Next season COULD be the one.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maupay’s signing has nearly cracked it for me. Not all PL clubs start with a giant centre forward.

But signing a younger Muzza-esque player, of top flight quality, would be the icing on the cake.

Yes - Maupay is a step forward, but a mobile physical presence alongside would be a great addition

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well done to Graham Potter, we’re effectively safe with two matches still to play. Job done.

There’s only so much that could do with a part ‘sow’s ear’ squad, so hopefully Tony Bloom will give him the tools this summer to improve us.

Hard lines CP oiks, your predictions in Feb & March that we were effectively down, proved presumptious bullsh*t. LLLLLL on the spin, suggests that you’ve discovered your old selves.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well done to Graham Potter, we’re effectively safe with two matches still to play. Job done.

There’s only so much that could do with a part ‘sow’s ear’ squad, so hopefully Tony Bloom will give him the tools this summer to improve us.

Hard lines CP oiks, your predictions in Feb & March that we were effectively down, proved presumptious bullsh*t. LLLLLL on the spin, suggests that you’ve discovered your old selves.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports