Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter Interview - The Sun

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Oh, I don’t know: “....we’re trying to build trust...”.

By very strong implication I think we can ascertain that he believes there is no trust currently - presumably in him, by the players. That’s pretty worrying with Watford 16 days away.

I think you're reading too much into that. It's an article by the Sun which probably includes a lot of paraphrasing and quotes without context.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I read it all, learned more about our new coach as well. Clearly the journalist was more interested in stories of amateur dramatics than football.

Let's see what happens...I believe we will do ok, if only we can score :albion2:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Potter has given several interviews to the Argus and elsewhere now since his appointment.
He's articulate and speaks in great depth about tactics, motivation and what worked in his previous roles.
but ttempts to parse those quotes for anything meaningful about Hughton (who he has never met but has praised and also said he left the team/club in great health) , about what he really thinks of the squad (has good things to say about everyone), incoming signings (bland stuff about "always looking to strengthen") , or outgoings is tempting but pretty pointless. He's too professional to say anything in public. (Hughton did likewise).

So The attempt to take something as bland as i need to "build trust" as anything other than i'm in a new job and i'm getting to know the team (er, Doh!) , let alone a reflection on Hughton, is ridiculous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From another Sun journo:-

[tweet]1154040687324610561[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Potter has given several interviews to the Argus and elsewhere now since his appointment.
He's articulate and speaks in great depth about tactics, motivation and what worked in his previous roles.
but ttempts to parse those quotes for anything meaningful about Hughton (who he has never met but has praised and also said he left the team/club in great health) , about what he really thinks of the squad (has good things to say about everyone), incoming signings (bland stuff about "always looking to strengthen") , or outgoings is tempting but pretty pointless. He's too professional to say anything in public. (Hughton did likewise).

So The attempt to take something as bland as i need to "build trust" as anything other than i'm in a new job and i'm getting to know the team (er, Doh!) , let alone a reflection on Hughton, is ridiculous.

If our defence gives as little away as Potter has in interviews so far, we'll be in decent shape this season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The
but ttempts to parse those quotes for anything meaningful about Hughton (who he haus never met but has praised and also said he left the team/club in great health) , about what he really thinks of the squad (has good things to say about everyone), incoming signings (bland stuff about "always looking to strengthen") , or outgoings is tempting but pretty pointless. He's too professional to say anything in public. (Hughton did likewise).

Was thinking likewise

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

By very strong implication I think we can ascertain that he believes there is no trust currently - presumably in him, by the players. That’s pretty worrying with Watford 16 days away.

I take that as "These players have been playing a certain way for a long time, and I am trying to get them to switch to a very different style of play."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’m flattered that you consider that possibility, but the truth is... no, I was being serious. Stupidly so in hindsight!
Oh blimey. If you've read his quotes and listened to his old interviews (and I expect you have) then you'll note that he doesn't see trust simply as 'I trust them, they trust me', but he sees it as something which progresses and evolves. He wants players to express themselves on the pitch without the fear of mistakes, and part of that is believing (and trusting) in each other enough to feel totally comfortable when performing.

I'm sure it's all a long way from 'he believes there is no trust currently'.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Think you might be reading too much into that. Any new manager, especially one coming in and radically changing the system and philosophy, is going to consider "building trust" as a key part of making the changes they want to make and getting the players to play the way they want to play.

You hear it quite often. It takes time, it doesn't come straight away. Players are asked to put faith in (or "trust") the new way. That's required to make the transition.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

You just don’t like the fact Chris lost the dressing room...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It wasn't criticism.

Nothing of interest about his current role isn’t criticism then? TBH your summary isn’t even accurate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here