Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter Interview: A cut above the rest

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I had a dream last night that Graham was on some TV show and asked to select the best five goal his teams have scored over his career, showing them on a big screen, but he was too slow and people got very impatent.

Freud would probably say that it was a dream that implied I want to **** my mother and I might go with that above other likely options.

Edit: Ehm the option of that idea, that it is. Not the action.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The article shines a light into the culture that's being constructed in our beloved Albion.

"...Brighton are a club crafted largely in the same image: decent folk pulling in a common cause."

As an expat who watches Albion games in a sports bar with mates who support other EPL clubs, there's been no shortage of envy.

Graham Potter always gives the impression that there's more to life for him than football.

"...it's about balance, being able to see the bubble for what it is. See the noise for what it is."

It's a very healthy attitude to have, especially when it comes to keeping perspective about praise and criticism, success and failure.

In the words of Kipling:

'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same...'

Forget the manager part. I'm immensely proud that we have a man like this in our club.

"No quick fixes, no short cuts, a fierce intellect with a strong human touch: this is the Potter principle..."

Long may it continue.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There are a number of posters who adhere to the shortsighted dogma that ‘it’s all down to the manager’. Whilst emotionally, that might be quite an attractive position, especially after the sort disappointing results (not performances) we’ve been having; the Guardian presents an intellectual and logical argument the the ‘it’s all down to the manager’ trope js about as well thought out as the flat earth theory:

“Does he ever find the lack of control maddening?

In this country at least, we still cling to the trope of the manager as a sort of all-powerful deity: the megalomaniacal obsessive who bends the game to his will.

And yet to watch the Leeds game was to be reminded of all the things a manager does not control.

The players, the bounce of the ball, the referee, the conditions, the finances. “It’s an interesting one,” he says. “Culturally, we think we should be able to control it. But the reality is there’s a million things that are uncontrollable.”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nice article, like him as a manager and hope he stays a long while. But I think there is a bit too much peer and media praise around him at the moment. He hasn't achieved anything here yet in terms of final league position or cup run. Hopeful he will but until then feel it should be dialed down a bit. Probably get lambasted for this opinion.

Being positive about our manager, and wanting to win things are not mutually exclusive.

Unless you think the manager isn't up to the job, of course.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
On the "controlables" issue - as a high performance cricket coach we coach players to ignore the uncontrolables - like weather, umpires, pitches, opposition, banter/sledging.
Just focus on what YOU can do to influence YOUR performance to achieve excellence. Ignore everything else. Helps de-clutter the mind.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I had a dream last night that Graham was on some TV show and asked to select the best five goal his teams have scored over his career, showing them on a big screen, but he was too slow and people got very impatent.

Freud would probably say that it was a dream that implied I want to **** my mother and I might go with that above other likely options.

Edit: Ehm the option of that idea, that it is. Not the action.

I had a dream [nightmare?] after the WHU game.
I was in the stand at Anfield about 30 mins before kick-off watching the warm-ups.
Someone said "Have you heard? Breaking news!"
"No, what?"
"Both clubs have agreed to a straight swap of managers, GP now in charge of Liverpool and Kliperty for Brighton"
"Wow !!"

Mad, eh?
We still drew 0-0 ....

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Sorry to burst the bubble, but those feet are definitely on the grass you know.

Just saying. No-one's perfect. Someone's worked hard on that surface.

5000.jpg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I read so little of football journalism these days, I'm just bored stiff by the annual doling out of cliche. But, reading that and realising that the guy talking is our manager, over the moon Brian.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A great well levelled interview.
There's more to life than the Albion, but only a microsecond in the gaffers life.
He's doing a fantastic job, so keep it going.
The Albion are a benchmark for other smaller clubs.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Still think he was an arse to say what he said in response to the boos, and am a bit concerned that he didn't understand, and it appears has still not understood, that whilst it was a small number booing, it was a large number that were frustrated and not happy with the way we finished the game in comparison to the way we started it, on the back of disappointing results against sides we all understand can compete with us on their day, but overall we would expect at a least one win from. It was how I felt at the final whistle, it is not something I have felt regularly at the final whistle under Potter, and like his over-exuberant celebration that he apologised to Pep for, the boos were out of order, but the emotion behind them was not.

None of that is a fair appraisal of him or the team, it is him and them that have given us the high hopes, with excellent performances mostly. I hope he is here for many years, and he and we continue to make progress. I would like to celebrate a win a bit more regularly though.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Still think he was an arse to say what he said in response to the boos, and am a bit concerned that he didn't understand, and it appears has still not understood, that whilst it was a small number booing, it was a large number that were frustrated and not happy with the way we finished the game in comparison to the way we started it, on the back of disappointing results against sides we all understand can compete with us on their day, but overall we would expect at a least one win from. It was how I felt at the final whistle, it is not something I have felt regularly at the final whistle under Potter, and like his over-exuberant celebration that he apologised to Pep for, the boos were out of order, but the emotion behind them was not.

None of that is a fair appraisal of him or the team, it is him and them that have given us the high hopes, with excellent performances mostly. I hope he is here for many years, and he and we continue to make progress. I would like to celebrate a win a bit more regularly though.

I liked what Neil Maupay said after the West Ham game, its a great attitude to have. I also liked the reaction of Potter when he went over to celebrate with the fans. In my opinion those two were the ones who could have been affected the most by the boos, yet both their reactions after West Ham draw was spot on.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I liked what Neil Maupay said after the West Ham game, its a great attitude to have. I also liked the reaction of Potter when he went over to celebrate with the fans. In my opinion those two were the ones who could have been affected the most by the boos, yet both their reactions after West Ham draw was spot on.

What did Maupay say?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm mainly curious about how you think that should be practically carried out..? Start a name list directed at the media, "Please praise Graham Potter a little less"?

Newspapers need to be sold and click bait of course so there's no way to dial it down. He's a very promising manager who has got Brighton to 15h and 16th and nowhere in a cup run. So far. Hopeful he will do better and the journey so far has been very enjoyable. But I still think it's a bit too much praise too soon. If you don't agree then this is fine and dandy.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Newspapers need to be sold and click bait of course so there's no way to dial it down. He's a very promising manager who has got Brighton to 15h and 16th and nowhere in a cup run. So far. Hopeful he will do better and the journey so far has been very enjoyable. But I still think it's a bit too much praise too soon. If you don't agree then this is fine and dandy.

Couple of questions.

1: Do you disagree with the opinion of Guardiola and Klopp in terms of their praise of Graham Potter?
2: You refer to finishing 15th and 16th in the last two seasons. Where, in your mind, given our budget and other resources, do you think is an appropriate position that we should be finishing each season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here