Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graffiti Tagging - who is doing it and why?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This bloke seems very proud of his work. No shame whatsoever. In fact the lack of shame has encouraged the Conservative Party to make Mr Nemeth their Hove Candidate for the coming election. Expect a lot more tagging in the following weeks.

View attachment 116795

Looks pretty good to me. And a world away from the chavs spraying their crap squiggles around like incontinent polecats

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is also a national, international element too. In the same way there are professional gamers, there are professional street artists / taggers. Certain individuals will frequent Barcelona, Bath, Brighton, London or wherever and go on a tagging spree weekend. Literally putting their name / tag everywhere they can. Also a few throw ups, which are more quick 3-4 minutes, silver / black name pieces, followed by a really detailed mural if possible, that can take all afternoon. People who do very stunning murals are also the most prolific taggers, although the very good artist probably grow out of tagging or at least think it maybe isn’t worth the risk any more. Being very good at graffiti art takes years of practice and by then they will have put up 1000s of tags.

"Professional" street artists and taggers ?

Who's paying them then ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"Professional" street artists and taggers ?

Who's paying them then ?

Dunno about anywhere else, but in Brighton town many independent shops with roll down shutters pay street artists to paint some pleasing artwork on aforesaid roll down shutters, which is then largely respected by taggers. Does no harm to anyone and generally looks pretty decent.

Loving the jungly looking artwork on the footbridge over Falmer station BTW that appeared over the summer months. Art for art's sake?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dunno about anywhere else, but in Brighton town many independent shops with roll down shutters pay street artists to paint some pleasing artwork on aforesaid roll down shutters, which is then largely respected by taggers. Does no harm to anyone and generally looks pretty decent.

Certainly better than having their shutters tagged then. But I can't imagine any of these herberts are actually making a living out of it.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
He was given a conditional caution....the condition was that he spend a day doing unpaid work....which he did with me, removing Graffiti from the Rockery and nearby areas.

He should have at least made to remove all his tagging over Brighton, over 80 I believe and also given a suspended prison sentence .If I heard it right he is 22. He is not 12.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
Certainly better than having their shutters tagged then. But I can't imagine any of these herberts are actually making a living out of it.

there are plenty of 'herberts' that do indeed make a living out of it...
Very lucrative livings and leading very enviable lives having travelled the world over and over, meeting good people in the process.
Yes I do mean making a living, attaining and then paying a mortgage, driving an enviable car etc.
Advertising and promotion are just a couple of spheres wherein a good amount of money can be earnt.

Within the artworld there is more than just Banksy selling their artwork for good amounts too.

Paint manufacturers over the past 20 years have taken to sponsoring graffiti artists also.
There are around 10 or so dedicated graffiti aerosol ranges from Germany, Spain, UK, Italy, USA, Mexico and Australia. Quite a few of these were started by artists themselves.

I don't think Herbert is quite the chap you think he is, maybe 20 or so years ago but the world is a different place now.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
He should have at least made to remove all his tagging over Brighton, over 80 I believe and also given a suspended prison sentence .If I heard it right he is 22. He is not 12.

That was his mental age.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Aldrington Rudeboys . . . . I still look for that when on the train, whilst they would have been a few years older than me, there's a chance I know who was responsible via scootering acquaintances!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
there are plenty of 'herberts' that do indeed make a living out of it...
Very lucrative livings and leading very enviable lives having travelled the world over and over, meeting good people in the process.
Yes I do mean making a living, attaining and then paying a mortgage, driving an enviable car etc.
Advertising and promotion are just a couple of spheres wherein a good amount of money can be earnt.

Within the artworld there is more than just Banksy selling their artwork for good amounts too.

Paint manufacturers over the past 20 years have taken to sponsoring graffiti artists also.
There are around 10 or so dedicated graffiti aerosol ranges from Germany, Spain, UK, Italy, USA, Mexico and Australia. Quite a few of these were started by artists themselves.

I don't think Herbert is quite the chap you think he is, maybe 20 or so years ago but the world is a different place now.

Amazing what some people will pay for. I'd wager the herberts doing their scabby tags all over Brighton are earning sweet f-all from anyone though. Most of them are probably coked-up thieving ratboys.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Amazing what some people will pay for. I'd wager the herberts doing their scabby tags all over Brighton are earning sweet f-all from anyone though. Most of them are probably coked-up thieving ratboys.

Jamie Vardy doesn't need to earn any extra money, maybe he just enjoys it.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Once a month in my immediate area I go round the green utility boxes, post-boxes, lamposts, and walls and scrub the tags off (brillo pads are great for non-enamel paint) or paint over them. I encourage any of you that get p1ssed-off with tagging to do the same, as it gives you a great feeling of satisfaction. I had a war for several weeks where some tw@t kept doing a huge tag on the post-box. Every time it appeared I scrubbed it off with wire wool and white spirit. He gave up in the end...

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Once a month in my immediate area I go round the green utility boxes, post-boxes, lamposts, and walls and scrub the tags off (brillo pads are great for non-enamel paint) or paint over them. I encourage any of you that get p1ssed-off with tagging to do the same, as it gives you a great feeling of satisfaction. I had a war for several weeks where some tw@t kept doing a huge tag on the post-box. Every time it appeared I scrubbed it off with wire wool and white spirit. He gave up in the end...

You have far to much time on your hands.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Good on you. Maybe that's a more realistic solution in some places than waiting for the council to divert scarce resources.

I remember being at a seminar of briefing of some kind back in the 90s and an expert on the subject was saying that no matter how many times you have to do it, the best way to deter taggers is to try to paint over their work (or I guess remove it some other way) as soon as you notice it's there. Yes, they'll probably return several more times but eventually they'll give up.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good of you to take time out of your busy schedule to make a snide comment...

It would be nice to have the spare time. . . . If the offenders are that keen, perhaps catching them and getting them to paint fences/garage doors etc would be a win/win scenario.

I've just painted all my workshop doors . . .one of the garage doors in the 'mews' ( it's not that posh) has had a tag on the door for 15 years. Whomever sprayed it is probably middle aged now, or on holiday at her majesties pleasure!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
“Writers” or Graffiti Artists can make £300 a day. Couple of bookings a week and you’re away.
Here’s one of many with a long list of clients including Timberland, BBC1Xtra etc.
https://www.topdogpromotions.co.uk/theurbanist/

Seems like a reasonable day rate, and comparable to many high skilled but, shall we say, unorthodox, trades. A good race car technician/mechanic for example.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
He was given a conditional caution....the condition was that he spend a day doing unpaid work....which he did with me, removing Graffiti from the Rockery and nearby areas.

Hopefully he put a proper days work in, and fell in the pond at the end of the day.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Anyone know who “Dean” is ? Seem this tag on the railways and motorways / dual carriage ways across the south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here