Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graeme Souness - Mr Lucky!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Is Graeme Souness the luckiest man alive?

I mean he becomes manager of Liverpool and gives them their worst season for 30 years!

Then travels around Europe making a pigs ear of managing some of Europes top teams: sacked after 1 year at Galatasary, fired after 4 months at Torino he then manages to secure the top Job at Benfica where he introduces the flair loving Portuguese fans to the delights of Dean Saunders and Mark Pembridge!

Sacked from Benfica he manages to secure the job at Blackburn and now after narrowly avoiding relegation he somehow gets one of the top jobs in the country at Newcastle.

How does the man do it I ask you?!

Have the Board at Newcastle taken leave of their senses?!
???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Beggars belief but having had Gullit as manager they won't have a foreign one (excepting a scotsman)

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Could have been worse - they could have ended up with Terry Venables!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Half Time Pies said:
Is Graeme Souness the luckiest man alive?

I mean he becomes manager of Liverpool and gives them their worst season for 30 years!

Then travels around Europe making a pigs ear of managing some of Europes top teams: sacked after 1 year at Galatasary, fired after 4 months at Torino he then manages to secure the top Job at Benfica where he introduces the flair loving Portuguese fans to the delights of Dean Saunders and Mark Pembridge!

Sacked from Benfica he manages to secure the job at Blackburn and now after narrowly avoiding relegation he somehow gets one of the top jobs in the country at Newcastle.

How does the man do it I ask you?!

Have the Board at Newcastle taken leave of their senses?!
???

I wish someone could compile a list of the dull english players he took to the foreign clubs

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i totally agree and yet most top football pundits somehow still rate him. ???

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Bozza said:
Wasn't he at Southampton too?

Yes he was, narrowly avoided relegation with them (which was seen as a success at the time) but does anyone remember the 'George Wiers Cousin' Fiasco?!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
graz126 said:
what was his name was it ali dia or something like that?

Yes something like that! Absolutely sums Graeme Souness up though, who else would put a player on in a Premiership game obviously without seeing him train on the telephone advice of someone pretending to be George Weir?!

Think he brought him off about 10 mins later when it became clear to everyone that he was rubbish - I mean what an Idiot!

StevieV

Aug 13, 2003
Half Time Pies said:
Yes he was, narrowly avoided relegation with them (which was seen as a success at the time) but does anyone remember the 'George Wiers Cousin' Fiasco?!

Sorry have to correct this...its annoying me

*ahem* George Weah

Sorry

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I completely agree. Has the world gone mad?

I thought Newcastle were chasing success.

I think the real winners here are Blackburn

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I don't know how long Souey had left on his contract but presumably they get remunerated fairly enough

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The board made it plain they wanted a British manager and the rest had turned the job down. They were running out of choices.

If I were a Newcastle board member, I'd be wondering why the team with the second highest gates in the country and is in Europe this season, has such trouble finding a manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here