Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grabban walks out on Norwich and gets the train home (from Rotherham)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I hope Norwich show some bollocks and leave him to rot in the reserves for the remainder of his contract, or even release him from his contract but hold onto his registration.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes they can. Legally any employee can have their contract of employment terminated by their employers for misconduct or for failure to meet expected standards. Footballers are no different
This is correct and effectively what we did with Poyet. In the case of a high rated player however, they'd be foolish as they then wouldn't received any transfer fee.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course a footballer can be sacked.
But they rarely are, because the club would usually be writing off whatever they could've gained in a transfer fee by selling him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I imagine pointing out the leicester players who were sacked a month or two ago will be dismissed as evidence because they were youth players, not first teamers. So

Five Sacked Footballers

Clubs are reluctant to sack players if they are any good though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
But the thing with sacking him is he can then just walk into Bournemouth and they wont even have to pay a fee.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He can't if they refuse to release his registration. It happened to Leon Knight.

I don't know how that all turned out. But wouldn't we then be in the realms of "restraint of trade" in employment law terms ?

I wouldn't think you could sack a player (ie tear up his contract) and having done that, stop him from being able to play for another club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't know how that all turned out. But wouldn't we then be in the realms of "restraint of trade" in employment law terms ?

I wouldn't think you could sack a player (ie tear up his contract) and having done that, stop him from being able to play for another club.

I think that's when he went to Ireland, as it only applied to the English FA (I'm probably wrong).

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

This is the same sport where a manager can be complete dog-shite at their job, get sacked, and walk away with a hefty pay-off.

Nothing in football and contracts makes any sense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He can't if they refuse to release his registration. It happened to Leon Knight.

Pretty sure you couldn't stop them joining someone else. Like when Tevez fell out with Man City.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Win win for Grabban.

Walk out of the match because Norwich want you. Bournemouth are so annoyed with you that they will far more willing to get rid. Move completes.

It wouldn't cause me ANY suprise in modern football if it turned out that his agent advised him to walk out of the match. Not saying thats what i THINK happened, just that it wouldn't be a shock.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pretty sure you couldn't stop them joining someone else. Like when Tevez fell out with Man City.

But Man City didn't actually sack Tevez did they. I think he just went AWOL for a while, till he was eventually sold to Juventus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here