Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GPS routefinders for cars

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Am thinking of getting one of these GPS thingies for our car, as I'm fed up to the back teeth of being mis-led by the the AA and RAC websites.

But are GPS route-finders much cop? If they are, can anyone recommend a model or two to look at?

Thanks NSC :)

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Good in built up areas except for some one way streets!!!

Useless on small unclassified roads out of town though as it will try to lead you down donkey type mountain tracks.

I use a map quicker cheaper and easier with traffic reports always turned on in the car or van!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Am thinking of getting one of these GPS thingies for our car, as I'm fed up to the back teeth of being mis-led by the the AA and RAC websites.

i dont think there will be any difference by using the GPS as it seems they use the same route databases or algoritms to determine which route is best. unless you pay out for the most expensive ones, they arent detailed enough, dont know one way routes in town, send you to similar named places the other end of the country and such.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On this note, did anyone with a TomTom get misled by the roundabout that wasnt really there on the way to Southend last week?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
i dont think there will be any difference by using the GPS as it seems they use the same route databases or algoritms to determine which route is best. unless you pay out for the most expensive ones, they arent detailed enough, dont know one way routes in town, send you to similar named places the other end of the country and such.

Are they really that bad?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
On this note, did anyone with a TomTom get misled by the roundabout that wasnt really there on the way to Southend last week?

i was mislead all over the shop - still, its always good fun. especially if you set the language to chinese of thai and then try and navigate using that

terrymendez

Nov 22, 2006
Dials
I find them useful for an estimate of a time of arrival, besides that I could and do do without them. I used a TomTom on the way up to Forest, not needed for directions but timings were down to a tee.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i was mislead all over the shop - still, its always good fun. especially if you set the language to chinese of thai and then try and navigate using that

There was a QUALLA bit where just outside of southend, it told us to go RIGHT on a roundabout. Unfortunately the roundabout was actually beneath the road we were driving on and sent us on a 6 mile round trip diversion!

herman gelmet

Not the tosser
Jan 20, 2008
worthing

TomTom 1 for under £150. you just put in the full postcode & it gets you there, How can that be bad? It will only send you on smaller roads if you set it to plan shortest route instead of quickest. I've driven all over the place for years using maps but find my tomtom brilliant.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
my new nokia n95 phone has it built in. And if you dont want gps, but just maps it has every road in the world built in!

TOP WORK.....not that i need it.

but still

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

worse. they make people more lazy about driving and navigation since they rely on the GPS when they should know better. im not just talking about disengaged Sun stories about lorries getting down streets too narrow or ditzy z-list celebs going to Stamford Bridge in Yorkshire rather than in Chelsea (ffs wasnt the lack of buildings as you went up the M1 a give away). Ive been in a taxi that went from City to Canary Wharf via Hackney (a bit like going from Hove to Brigthon via Preston) and a mate who forgets road juctions he has driven for 20 years because the machine doesnt know theres a one way or no left turn.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Think I will stick to maps for the time being...there is one system out there that if you drive on the M6 Toll, having previously set it to avoid tolls, it tells you to find the nearest road...presumably believing that you are driving across a field.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just get a wife.
You get a free blazing row into the bargain as well that way.

herman gelmet

Not the tosser
Jan 20, 2008
worthing
worse. they make people more lazy about driving and navigation since they rely on the GPS when they should know better. im not just talking about disengaged Sun stories about lorries getting down streets too narrow or ditzy z-list celebs going to Stamford Bridge in Yorkshire rather than in Chelsea (ffs wasnt the lack of buildings as you went up the M1 a give away). Ive been in a taxi that went from City to Canary Wharf via Hackney (a bit like going from Hove to Brigthon via Preston) and a mate who forgets road juctions he has driven for 20 years because the machine doesnt know theres a one way or no left turn.

Just because you get sat nav doesn't mean you instantly lose all your common sense. you use it to help, not follow it religiously.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
There was a QUALLA bit where just outside of southend, it told us to go RIGHT on a roundabout. Unfortunately the roundabout was actually beneath the road we were driving on and sent us on a 6 mile round trip diversion!

The websites are just as bad. I was driving to Herne Hill yesterday, from my gaff in Plumstead and when I was only a couple of miles from destination, RAC's printed directions said go left towards Crystal Palace. In fact, should've gone right, away from Crystal Palace. Knew I should've followed gut feeling and gone nowhere near the sodding place :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here