Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government planning to repeal animal welfare codes

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
its probably something that neither needs fixing nor is a priority. its fiddling and tweaking that governments do, in responce to people lobbying for their vested interest, happens all the time across government for good and bad. the law isnt being changed just who writes the code of conduct, isnt really worth the column inches.

Blimey!, you've taken your usual know it all pedantic comments to a new level now... "the law isnt being changed just who writes the code of conduct, isnt really worth the column inches."

Yes, yes, we've all misunderstood what this actually means and are consequently making something out of nothing. :facepalm:

Can you really not see that in an 'industry' like this it makes a massive difference who writes the code of conduct?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is this really a problem which needs fixing? And if it is, it seems a strange priority.

Maybe it's a cunning ploy to persuade animal lovers to vote to stay in this summer's referendum - 'Leaving the EU will endanger animal welfare as the tories wouldn't then have to comply to EU cruelty regulations' would be an effective vote winner.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I would't be vegetarian if tasty animals/meat were reared and dispatched in a respectful manner and people consumed them/it moderately, say once a week. It just wouldn't be an issue for me anymore, meat would be expensive and a (guilt free) treat.

But that's not how it is, it's a crying shame - and I mean shame.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I would't be vegetarian if tasty animals/meat were reared and dispatched in a respectful manner and people consumed them/it moderately, say once a week. It just wouldn't be an issue for me anymore, meat would be expensive and a (guilt free) treat.

But that's not how it is, it's a crying shame - and I mean shame.

I choose not to eat animals because I just can't get my head around the killing. That's a whole other point which I won't get into here. But your point I'm in huge agreement with... eating animals is one thing, but treating them like commodities to be 'produced' for the lowest possible financial cost is, as you say, a real shame in every sense of the word.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can you really not see that in an 'industry' like this it makes a massive difference who writes the code of conduct?

tell us about it then, whats going to change and let us know why this story is of such gravity.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
A backward step. Depressing stuff.
Absolutely correct. We need a lot more openness about how farmed animals live in this country such that we can easily make buying decisions based upon that (I'm aware that I could become a vegetarian, I would rather that there was a code of conduct that could be followed that most reasonable adults would feel was acceptable if they witnessed it) I would certainly be happier to pay a little more for meat if I could be assured that the animal had lived well - potentially meaning that I would eat fewer meat-based meals in a week

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Absolutely correct. We need a lot more openness about how farmed animals live in this country such that we can easily make buying decisions based upon that (I'm aware that I could become a vegetarian, I would rather that there was a code of conduct that could be followed that most reasonable adults would feel was acceptable if they witnessed it) I would certainly be happier to pay a little more for meat if I could be assured that the animal had lived well - potentially meaning that I would eat fewer meat-based meals in a week

post of the week
well said

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I see that a number of Tory councils with good schools in their areas are up in arms about this academy nonsense.

including Oxfordshire
isn't that where camerons constituancy is Witney

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
At least they've got the teachers on their side! Truly inspiring speech to teachers by Nicky Morgan MP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35899478

Another case in point to show just how woeful this Tory shambles of a Government is when it comes to choosing their friends. Seems that Cameron and his inept colleagues are drawn to and sucked in by fraudsters, every single time...

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/mar/24/perry-beeches-academy-lauded-cameron-serious-breaches-of-guidelines

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here