Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Government advises households to prepare emergency supplies - How many days could you survive in YOUR household?

How many days could you survive in your household?

• Less than a day

• 1-2 days

• 3-4 days

• 5-7 days

• 1-2 weeks

• 2 weeks to a month

• More than a month

• A long time - largely self-sufficient

• Indefinitely - completely self-sufficient

Results are only viewable after voting.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I’ve had emergency kit for ages now.

Canned water
Water containers
First aid
Co-codomol
Emergency food rations
Wind up radio
Solar charger
Wind up lamps
Camping stove and fuel canisters

And loads of other bits.

Food and water would last two months.

I simply don’t trust the government to cope in a power down emergency.
Did you acquire stuff separately or from one specific place like a preppet store?

Interested in the wind up radio and lamps

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
If it ever got that bad the biggest threat would be mankind turning on each other. I would suggest gathering weapons to.
I was living in New York when it got hit by Hurricane Sandy and half of Manhattan was without power for several days. Everybody helped each other out and things were OK but I did wonder what might have happened if that period without power had been extended just how long it would have been before things started to unravel

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It's this scaremongering or is it acknowledging just what a cluster f*** it's going to be when border controls change shortly and why concept of JIT deliveries completely disappears

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
They need electricity from the grid to operate. How or why I don't know, but that's what I was told about mine.
Not strictly true, but you do need an extra bit of kit to operate completely off-grid.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Depends if we have electricity for the freezer.
My garage chest freezer and fridge are 100% solar powered (at least during spring, summer and autumn). So, we're good.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not strictly true, but you do need an extra bit of kit to operate completely off-grid.
Our home solar setup has a separate device that activates if the grid is out, and has 2 3 pin plugs to run essentials off. Plus we have a 7.5kwh battery we can draw from.

That's just the house system, I have a self built 1200w off grid solar setup on the garage too, with a 15kwh battery, but that's limited to 3k output by the inverter.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Our home solar setup has a separate device that activates if the grid is out, and has 2 3 pin plugs to run essentials off. Plus we have a 7.5kwh battery we can draw from.

That's just the house system, I have a self built 1200w solar setup on the garage too, with a 15kwh battery, but that's limited to 3k output by the inverter.
Good stuff. We’re in the process of getting quotes for solar with battery, and the limitation surprised me. At a minimum, I guess we’d want lights, freezer and boiler to be powered.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
That's just the house system, I have a self built 1200w off grid solar setup on the garage too, with a 15kwh battery, but that's limited to 3k output by the inverter.
Very interesting, can you share the details ? I’s just the sort of thing I’d like to set up in my workshop.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A good supply of dog poo bags and wet wipes* is a good idea. In case we have to shit in bags and lob it out the window.

Which is very much the vision I have for all of us in future Britain.

In all seriousness though, personal hygiene and disposing of waste is something people forget when prepping.

Oh and plenty of Jazz mags. You can’t rely on your memory at my age.

*wiping your arris with a wet wipe is like being fingered by a ghost but needs must.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
A good supply of dog poo bags and wet wipes* is a good idea. In case we have to shit in bags and lob it out the window.

Which is very much the vision I have for all of us in future Britain.

In all seriousness though, personal hygiene and disposing of waste is something people forget when prepping.

Oh and plenty of Jazz mags. You can’t rely on your memory at my age.

*wiping your arris with a wet wipe is like being fingered by a ghost but needs must.
Regards the last sentence, I want to know how you got a comparison? ???

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
With the amount of stuff my dear husband has stashed in his idea of a nuclear bunker I'd say we're ok for about 40 years, that's if you like tomato soup and sweetcorn 🤢 to be fair I did want him to get all his fishing tackle out of the shed so at least that's down there safe from a nuclear holocaust or worse a coachload of Swedish tourists.
I'm slightly concerned that I've not been asked if I'd like anything down there to see out the radioactive winter.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
1) Watch "Threads"

2) Read "When the Wind Blows"

3) Realise how futile prepping against a MAD nuclear war would be

4) Go back to watching cricket

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here