[Politics] Government advises households to prepare emergency supplies - How many days could you survive in YOUR household?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many days could you survive in your household?

• Less than a day

• 1-2 days

• 3-4 days

• 5-7 days

• 1-2 weeks

• 2 weeks to a month

• More than a month

• A long time - largely self-sufficient

• Indefinitely - completely self-sufficient

Results are only viewable after voting.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Doesn’t seem that long ago since we were being told how to make a nuclear shelter by taking down internal doors and leaning them against the wall.

Protect and Survive, 1976 (Reprinted 1980).

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Thank goodness for Mustafa coming up with a Doomsday Prepper thread to cure us all from the dizziness of Premier League manager merry-go-round 😍

Still have my Covid stash and got into habit of keeping stocked up with non-perishables - so 6 months easy with careful rationing - Have several kilos of flour too and boxes of canned water and diet coke, cartons of orange juice and 5 cartons of longlife milk. Enough wood in woodstore for a 2 winters - woodstove for heating and boiling water/heating food. Vegetable seeds in garden shed, an apple tree and plum tree. 2 full water butts which can be rigged up to garden hose and run into the house.

Unfortunately, without my daily blood pressure, asthma, immunosuppressants or thyroid medication, I‘ll be dead in less than month anyway so so before I go, I’ll pm my address to some kindly NSCers with details of where to find everything 👍

Edit - forgot to say, I bought a large car battery size power bank with multiple USB and jack plug and 3 pin socket sockets as well as an inbuilt SOS flash light/spot light last year - which will keep devices powered for a few weeks if used for just an hour a day to charge - and also have a battery radio that can also be charged from power bank and a very well stocked first aid kit. So I am a good person to know if civilisation comes to a standstill 🙂

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve had emergency kit for ages now.

Canned water
Water containers
First aid
Co-codomol
Emergency food rations
Wind up radio
Solar charger
Wind up lamps
Camping stove and fuel canisters

And loads of other bits.

Food and water would last two months.

I simply don’t trust the government to cope in a power down emergency.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Canned water
Water containers
First aid
Co-codomol
Emergency food rations
Wind up radio
Solar charger
Wind up lamps

And loads of other bits.

Food and water would last two months.

I simply don’t trust the government to cope in a power down emergency.
If it ever got that bad the biggest threat would be mankind turning on each other. I would suggest gathering weapons to.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If it ever got that bad the biggest threat would be mankind turning on each other. I would suggest gathering weapons to.
I agree. Not a lot of choice in the U.K. on that front, unfortunately.

Have a hammer and a few iron bars handy is the best we can realistically do unless you’re on a farm with access to fire arms etc.

Realistically, I’m imaging power outages and no water rather than apocalypse level disaster. Which I wouldn’t want to survive anyway.

First places to get ransacked will be supermarkets, hospitals and pharmacies. So I wouldn’t rely on those.
Better to have your own supplies than count on the government to help.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Canned water
Water containers
First aid
Co-codomol
Emergency food rations
Wind up radio
Solar charger
Wind up lamps

Hmmm. Maybe my emergency kit of 40 Lambert & Butler and a field compass needs a re-think.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I live in a pub, so I’d be alright with a ridiculous amount of booze and Walkers grab bags in my cellar!

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Thanks for calling the UK.Gov emergency number.

'We're sorry about the failure of government and complete societal breakdown and apologise for any inconvenience caused. We're working hard to correct the problem as soon as possible. As the disruption is considered to be an extraordinary circumstances and outside of our control, you will not be eligible for compensation.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
In a nuclear war scenario, I’d much rather die quickly TBH
I did a tour of Hack Green nuclear command bunker a few years back. Very interesting and disturbing in equal measures. In the event of nuclear war it is predicted most people will die trapped in rubble from fallen buildings with no one to rescue them. Dehydration / starvation.

So I'm happy (as I can be) to be vaporised on detonation.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
It cannot be much of a crisis if you only need 3 days food and water, unless of course the fallout will have killed you before you finish it. Waste not want not and all that.
What really scares America at the moment is a cyber attack. Our American friends can then destroy themselves. No fallout, just one switch of a button.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thank goodness for Mustafa coming up with a Doomsday Prepper thread to cure us all from the dizziness of Premier League manager merry-go-round 😍

Still have my Covid stash and got into habit of keeping stocked up with non-perishables - so 6 months easy with careful rationing - Have several kilos of flour too and boxes of canned water and diet coke, cartons of orange juice and 5 cartons of longlife milk. Enough wood in woodstore for a 2 winters - woodstove for heating and boiling water/heating food. Vegetable seeds in garden shed, an apple tree and plum tree. 2 full water butts which can be rigged up to garden hose and run into the house.

Unfortunately, without my daily blood pressure, asthma, immunosuppressants or thyroid medication, I‘ll be dead in less than month anyway so so before I go, I’ll pm my address to some kindly NSCers with details of where to find everything 👍

Edit - forgot to say, I bought a large car battery size power bank with multiple USB and jack plug and 3 pin socket sockets as well as an inbuilt SOS flash light/spot light last year - which will keep devices powered for a few weeks if used for just an hour a day to charge - and also have a battery radio that can also be charged from power bank and a very well stocked first aid kit. So I am a good person to know if civilisation comes to a standstill 🙂
Did your birthday card ever arrive?

One just can't trust Royal Mail these days...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports