Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goverment refuses to allow pubs to stay open for England games during world cup.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are pubs really this dependent on 3pm tv?

Its basically all down to the commercial subscription rates that Sky and BT Sport charge (Sky charge according to size of venue and capacity but the average sub is £400 a month). BT have been undercutting Sky to make a foothold. Some landlords have chosen a much cheaper option at a tenth of the cost but as they're dealing through third parties the subscription cards are only intended for private use and not for commercial premises.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
They will all be on terrestrial television so no need to go to the pub anyway.

None of the big games are being show at 11pm (other than England Vs Italy), due to the impact on advertising in Europe.

Which of these do you think will be worth a pub getting a late licence for:
13 June: Chile v Australia (23:00, ITV)
15 June: Ivory Coast v Japan (02:00, ITV), Argentina v Bosnia-Hercegovina (23:00, BBC)
16 June: Ghana v USA (23:00, BBC)
17 June: Russia v South Korea (23:00, BBC)
18 June: Cameroon v Croatia (23:00, ITV),
19 June: Japan v Greece (23:00, BBC)
20 June: Honduras v Ecuador (23:00, ITV)
21 June: Nigeria v Bosnia-Hercegovina (23:00, BBC)
22 June: USA v Portugal (23:00, BBC)

All other games have 5pm or 8pm kick-off

Even the later stage games?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Does watching the World Cup in the pub still have the same attraction ?

Over the last 8 years we have seen more people able to afford large screen TVs along with High Definition at home.
Early evening kick offs, mean people will consider delaying their journey home to watch a match.

The big attraction remains watching a match in a crowded pub, which creates it's own atmosphere. For games ending around 1 in the morning, many people will have to consider taxis home or walking, which may be a deterrent for some.

I expect that the sorts of venues that do this thing well, will still be heaving, those that make a half hearted effort, will be disappointed. I also understand the governments reluctance to show any enthusiasm for this. It could turn out to be a hot heads charter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I must admit I prefer watching the world cup at home with my feet up, a few beers and a few snacks/nibbles. I find football in a pub quite hellish.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I must admit I prefer watching the world cup at home with my feet up, a few beers and a few snacks/nibbles. I find football in a pub quite hellish.

You can have the best of both worlds - I finished building my 'man shed' last year

IMG_0770_zps85f3bced.jpg

IMG_0766_zpscbf1cce1.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is a non-story. Licensing is now undertaken at the local level and councils will decide whether pubs can stay open later on a case-by-case basis.

It's not so much 'now' being undertaken at local level. It has long been like that.

It's just that the new law (I say 'new', it came into force nine years ago) meant them it allowed them to be more flexible with conditions and licences.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
[MENTION=27275]Creaky[/MENTION] I am very jealous, looks amazing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You can have the best of both worlds - I finished building my 'man shed' last year

:drool: blimey how'd you get planning permission for that?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i rather meant from the very local authority, or her indoors :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here