Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOUT!

albionalba

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland
Just to add to the info for @HangletonGull to consider I've been taking Allopurinol for 15 or so years after putting it off for 3 or 4 years of absolute agony. Fingers crossed no attacks and eat what I like (though I am pescatarian these days and haven't touched red meat for that time). I'm pretty sure mine started after a bit of a steak-fest for a few years when I first moved to Scotland and meat was abundant! I've got quite slapdash with taking it over the past couple of years in terms of missing doses etc but hasn't caught up with me yet......overall I think it's worth biting the bullet and taking it. Can't really say I've noticed any side effects.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_8557.jpeg

Take a couple of these a day plus allopurinol 100ml. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm in Oz at the moment. Felt a few gouty twinges after long flight dehydration. Asked the chemist if I could buy some Naproxen over the counter. Turns out it's branded and marketed for period pains. It's the exact same stuff. And yes it was a teenage girl that served me on the till :blush:
IMG_20240227_092723.jpg

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
I've merged the threads so there's one source of information.

Both my Grandad and Dad had this. Up to now, despite loving a drink, beef, mushrooms, cheese and seafood I've been ok, but it's surely in the post. @HangletonGull good luck buddy, there's loads of good info in this merged thread.
Ment to be going to wolves weds night my foot is so swollen and big toe is trobbing so much the coach journey is going to be a nightmare fell sorry who is ever sitting next to me my foot is going to be doing the okey cokey all the way there and back , it’s so bad now I can’t put any pressure on the big toe

Last edited:

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Just to add to the info for @HangletonGull to consider I've been taking Allopurinol for 15 or so years after putting it off for 3 or 4 years of absolute agony. Fingers crossed no attacks and eat what I like (though I am pescatarian these days and haven't touched red meat for that time). I'm pretty sure mine started after a bit of a steak-fest for a few years when I first moved to Scotland and meat was abundant! I've got quite slapdash with taking it over the past couple of years in terms of missing doses etc but hasn't caught up with me yet......overall I think it's worth biting the bullet and taking it. Can't really say I've noticed any side effects.
Any littlie thing wil help at the moment genuinely in tears

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Agin thanks anything will help
I've taken Allopurinol daily for many years, and as long-term gout medication, it's worked perfectly doing what it's supposed to: to control the amount of uric acid and as a result stop gout attacks. Allopurinol may well be a long-term solution, but it does take time to work and won't help you for Wolves. Flare-ups commonly last a few days, and hopefully yours will have gone by then. In the meantime, this looks like a pain killer job - ibuprofen or naproxen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any littlie thing wil help at the moment genuinely in tears
Concentrated cherry juice will almost certainly help ward off gout over the longer term, mix a teaspoonful into yoghurt in the mornings. In the very short term, without prescription, all I can really suggest is double strength ibuprofen (assuming they don't sell naproxen over the counter 'for period pains' - which I must check out as soon as I get home) Wishing you the very best of luck, its a horrible pain. Cheers

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have been on allopurinol for 15+ years and it appears to work. I say appears as my uric acid is low but for the last 5 years or so, I have been in pain on a daily basis. It is very weird as the pain happens in 2 different ways (pain in little toe that feels like it's broken and pain in all toes as per normal gout pain) when I sit down or lie down, standing up I am fine. I go into pretty severe pain as soon as I lie down, so getting to sleep is a nightmare every single night. I have had blood tests galore, xrays etc and nothing has been found.
I am desperate now and I am going to order some of that cherry extract and turmeric and hope this helps. I used to have naproxen but I stopped as I don't want to use that on a daily basis, same with ibuprofen.
I got up to 600mg of allopurinol but I've dropped it to 300mg as although initially it made a difference, after a while the pain came back but made no difference with uric acid as it was low on 100mg, so not helping there... 🤷‍♂️

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I have been on allopurinol for 15+ years and it appears to work. I say appears as my uric acid is low but for the last 5 years or so, I have been in pain on a daily basis. It is very weird as the pain happens in 2 different ways (pain in little toe that feels like it's broken and pain in all toes as per normal gout pain) when I sit down or lie down, standing up I am fine. I go into pretty severe pain as soon as I lie down, so getting to sleep is a nightmare every single night. I have had blood tests galore, xrays etc and nothing has been found.
I am desperate now and I am going to order some of that cherry extract and turmeric and hope this helps. I used to have naproxen but I stopped as I don't want to use that on a daily basis, same with ibuprofen.
I got up to 600mg of allopurinol but I've dropped it to 300mg as although initially it made a difference, after a while the pain came back but made no difference with uric acid as it was low on 100mg, so not helping there... 🤷‍♂️
If you live in the Brighton Health Authority ask for the CT Gout scan (the Kelsey Jordan one). It certainly shows where crystals are - or mine did. It’s what convinced this pill-hater to take medication.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If you live in the Brighton Health Authority ask for the CT Gout scan (the Kelsey Jordan one). It certainly shows where crystals are - or mine did. It’s what convinced this pill-hater to take medication.
Thanks, I will check that out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I shall be reading this thread carefully I suspect, having been stricken suddenly 2 days ago by swelling, pain, redness and heat exactly where the online pix show for gout in the joint between big toe and foot. I can't put weight on the foot and now have the stabbing pain at rest. I have printed out a list of the trigger foods, and am feeling rather sad. Well, after I have cut out all the rich meat and fish and wine I may get a weight loss bonus.

So, if you are disciplined with food and drink (I mean no cheating) is the prospect good?

This, on top of sciatica (another new one for me) seems to be a bit of a sign I need to sort myself out.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
I shall be reading this thread carefully I suspect, having been stricken suddenly 2 days ago by swelling, pain, redness and heat exactly where the online pix show for gout in the joint between big toe and foot. I can't put weight on the foot and now have the stabbing pain at rest. I have printed out a list of the trigger foods, and am feeling rather sad. Well, after I have cut out all the rich meat and fish and wine I may get a weight loss bonus.

So, if you are disciplined with food and drink (I mean no cheating) is the prospect good?

This, on top of sciatica (another new one for me) seems to be a bit of a sign I need to sort myself out.
Take it easy I know how bad it can get

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I don't have gout but I have high levels of uric acid so, from time to time, have a low purine diet. Go big on cherry juice too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Everyone seems to work a little differently.

All I'll say for me is that since I've cut out alcohol, I've barely felt even a twinge in the last year or so, after a number of years of sporadic attacks. I'm not on any preventative medicine now either.

And I was never a big drinker, but it was always one of the factors whenever I'd have an attack (the others being caffeine, red meat, maybe stress and lack of sleep).

Good luck with it, as someone with a history of Gout and Kidney Stones (also no issues with these since going teetotal) I'm fully aware how painful they can both be.

Last edited:

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North

Yes. It will take time. Gout is a "topping up" process, so it wont always be instant but start to think about what youve eaten recently when you get an attack. Hydration is very important. Took me a few years to figure it out for me. Red meat being the main culprit. Cherries are good for prevention/relief. Happy to chat if you ever need.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes. It will take time. Gout is a "topping up" process, so it wont always be instant but start to think about what youve eaten recently when you get an attack. Hydration is very important. Took me a few years to figure it out for me. Red meat being the main culprit. Cherries are good for prevention/relief. Happy to chat if you ever need.
Agreed on this.

Feel free to DM away, @Harry Wilson's tackle

As @Albion in the north says, a gout attack can be months, even years in the making. The thing I actually found quite useful after my first attack is that I'd sometimes get twinges in my toe as a kind of warning sign, and sometimes at that point it was too late to stave off an attack, but sometimes it wasn't - I would see my big toe as a little Jiminy Cricket, reminding me to stay on the straight and narrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here