Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOUT!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
OWW. That right foot looks painful. I’ve been on AP for two years but have had the horrible gout tingles over the past few days. Never got attacks in the toes - always in the centre of the foot. It took years to diagnose. I have the ice bucket ready!!

My doctor told me to NEVER use ice to help. The crystals form at colder temperatures so things like ice and leaving your foot hanging out the bed are the worst things to do! He said to keep it as warm as possible and elevated!

Reckon I've had about 4 hours sleep at most. So painful. It's my own fault for drinking so much. What with losing my new job just after Christmas, dad's brain tumours and the struggles of trying to buy my first home hit me hard and my drinking has been off the scale for the last year.

I drank 28 cans of strongbow last weekend and didn't really get "drunk". I've been drinking secretly before I get home from work and hiding it from the wife as well.

Basically being a right dickhead.

The wife basically had a right go at me last Sunday and told me some home truths so I decided to try and knock the drinking on the head for a while. Didnt have a drink on Monday and this kicks off on Tuesday which has made not drinking a LOT easier.

I've been reading that alcoholic/like a beer too much thread for a long time but never contributed. Some of you may see me on there from now on.

Right now I just want this pain to **** off! My 6 year old and 2 year old girls are getting too close for comfort.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I also have a colchicine order ready at the pharmacist but I couldn't get there in time before it closed yesterday. The wife hopefully can pick it up this morning so hopefully that will kick in later on tomorrow.

Another pain filled day lies ahead:tantrum:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well done for laying that all out [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] - and don’t beat yourself up too much, sounds like you’ve had a really tough situation recently. Hope it improves really soon, it’s a horrible pain. Mine is usually in the ankle bone but occasionally in the sole as well.

I had a recent flare up of gout that left me in quite a lot of pain for a few days, so I completely sympathise - also got to the point where I couldn’t sleep with covers on the foot.

Mine came back on top of kidney stone problems and really poor eating (again a mechanism to deal with stress in life), so I also beat myself up about it, we all do it.

What I would mention is the doctor prescribed me Naproxen for my recent attack and it made a difference pretty quickly, but if you’ve got your meds that work for it then go for it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well done for laying that all out [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] - and don’t beat yourself up too much, sounds like you’ve had a really tough situation recently. Hope it improves really soon, it’s a horrible pain. Mine is usually in the ankle bone but occasionally in the sole as well.

I had a recent flare up of gout that left me in quite a lot of pain for a few days, so I completely sympathise - also got to the point where I couldn’t sleep with covers on the foot.

Mine came back on top of kidney stone problems and really poor eating (again a mechanism to deal with stress in life), so I also beat myself up about it, we all do it.

What I would mention is the doctor prescribed me Naproxen for my recent attack and it made a difference pretty quickly, but if you’ve got your meds that work for it then go for it.
A couple of summers back I was 'lucky' enough to score the dream treble: gout in wrist, elbow and shoulder, all at the same time. It was bloody horrible. Couldn't sleep at all, other than in an armchair, Took me half an hour to put a teeshirt on. GP prescribed me a big box of Naproxen, also a big box of Co-codamol. Was well wary of the Co-Codamol which remains unopened, but worked my way through the Naproxen at the slightest twinge, and indeed, pre-covid, bought another big box of 'Naproxeno sodico' over the counter for about thruppence in the Canaries. Aiming to do exactly the same again if my September trip to Fuerteventura comes off

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
My doctor told me to NEVER use ice to help. The crystals form at colder temperatures so things like ice and leaving your foot hanging out the bed are the worst things to do! He said to keep it as warm as possible and elevated!

Reckon I've had about 4 hours sleep at most. So painful. It's my own fault for drinking so much. What with losing my new job just after Christmas, dad's brain tumours and the struggles of trying to buy my first home hit me hard and my drinking has been off the scale for the last year.

I drank 28 cans of strongbow last weekend and didn't really get "drunk". I've been drinking secretly before I get home from work and hiding it from the wife as well.

Basically being a right dickhead.

The wife basically had a right go at me last Sunday and told me some home truths so I decided to try and knock the drinking on the head for a while. Didnt have a drink on Monday and this kicks off on Tuesday which has made not drinking a LOT easier.

I've been reading that alcoholic/like a beer too much thread for a long time but never contributed. Some of you may see me on there from now on.

Right now I just want this pain to **** off! My 6 year old and 2 year old girls are getting too close for comfort.

According to my Consultant its not drink related although that doesn't mean your drinking might not be a problem. Bloody hurts though!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A couple of summers back I was 'lucky' enough to score the dream treble: gout in wrist, elbow and shoulder, all at the same time. It was bloody horrible. Couldn't sleep at all, other than in an armchair, Took me half an hour to put a teeshirt on. GP prescribed me a big box of Naproxen, also a big box of Co-codamol. Was well wary of the Co-Codamol which remains unopened, but worked my way through the Naproxen at the slightest twinge, and indeed, pre-covid, bought another big box of 'Naproxeno sodico' over the counter for about thruppence in the Canaries. Aiming to do exactly the same again if my September trip to Fuerteventura comes off

Cor, nasty in the wrist especially I would think? Naproxen have been my go to drug and they do work but you have to be careful if you need them a lot not too clever on the stomach lining apparently...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cor, nasty in the wrist especially I would think? Naproxen have been my go to drug and they do work but you have to be careful if you need them a lot not too clever on the stomach lining apparently...

Trick is not to take them on an empty stomach. I've always found it good to take them in conjunction with milk or yoghurt as a minimum. Anything to line the wall of the stomach basically while the pill does its thing

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
According to my Consultant its not drink related although that doesn't mean your drinking might not be a problem. Bloody hurts though!

It may not be "drink related" but its certainly not helped by dehydration, which can be caused by drinking alcohol. I gave up drinking, changed my diet and "touch wood" have rarely had any gout since.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I used to get it fairly regularly, although thankfully only in my toe joint, but have been on two allupurol tablets for the last few years and haven't had an attack, although I still get nervous if I ever feel a tingle in my big toe area!

I used to find the problem was even when the gout went I used to have a compensatory injury move up my leg caused by not walking properly.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Trick is not to take them on an empty stomach. I've always found it good to take them in conjunction with milk or yoghurt as a minimum. Anything to line the wall of the stomach basically while the pill does its thing

Naproxen are an NSAID like Ibuprofen. Ive always been prescribed Omeprazole to take with mine and have been fine. Always with food and I usually have a yoghurt as well.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
used to get it really bad - limping in agony around Sorrento on holiday one year sticks in the mind - yes gallons of cherry juice when you have an attack and Allopurinol has been my saviour - apart from a couple of light twinges had no attacks for years

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

That's bad to get it in 3 places an once.

My main places for an attack is in foot across my tetatarsals and right ankle as I busted my foot in a ladder accident about 15 years ago. But I do also get it in my left elbow on occasion. The elbow isn't nearly half as painful than in my foot/ankle.

Mrs Spongy had allowed me back to bed to try and sleep whilst she did parenting for a few hours. I now have my colchicine so I'm hoping for improvement throughout the day now but my ankle and achilles is also very tender now, don't whether its the gout spreading or if I'm hurting other areas due to limping around a lot. Doesn't help that I suffer with tendinitis in my achilles.

It's in times like this I do put serious thought into whether surgeons will amputate below the knee to save all this pain.....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I get gout bad, very bad. I have done for around 40 years. I'm alergic to the most common pills given by the doctor and for the last 10 years been on anti inflamitory tablets which in turn just knock me out but never get rid of the pain for days.
Recently my wife got me some tablets called UriciPlex. Advanced Uric Acid Support they say. Cost £22 for 60 which seemed expensive but boy do they work for me. I take one a day when I get up and if I ever get that 'twinge' in my toe it's gone by mid-morning. I'm not getting paid for this nor saying it's the best, but for me for the past two months it has cleared my pain.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I get gout bad, very bad. I have done for around 40 years. I'm alergic to the most common pills given by the doctor and for the last 10 years been on anti inflamitory tablets which in turn just knock me out but never get rid of the pain for days.
Recently my wife got me some tablets called UriciPlex. Advanced Uric Acid Support they say. Cost £22 for 60 which seemed expensive but boy do they work for me. I take one a day when I get up and if I ever get that 'twinge' in my toe it's gone by mid-morning. I'm not getting paid for this nor saying it's the best, but for me for the past two months it has cleared my pain.

Interesting. I looked up the ingredients and they are all classed under the umbrella of 'food additives'. If this works for you, great.

I presume you have an issue with allopurinol, right? What's the problem exactly?

Have you identified the foods that trigger it?

Best wishes!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Great news.

Always good to hear of something that works for this awful pain.

The turmeric/piperine thingies I take for my fecked joints elsewhere seem to help me.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If no-one has said it in 10 pages, I'm going to. Gout, gout, let it all out. These are the things I can do without. I'm talking to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here