Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOSBTS - can we now just BIN the "going up to win the cup" bit ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
GOSBTS - can we now just BIN the "going up to win the cup" bit ?

But it hasn't worked. It has ripped the core meaning out of an emotional song, and in today's terms "dumbed it down".

I thought it was about generating an atmosphere rather than 'emotional meaning.'

I sing to encourage the team to greater efforts.

Edit - I do realise I'm a minority on this thread, but in the wider non NSC Brighton supporting world, I'm not sure that I am.....

Anyway it's worked for 40+ years for me and I'm not changing any time soon.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Yes, but having had it working for 50 years, why change back?

Presumably the 1965 NSC felt Stand of Fall didn't work.

So, you are critical of people changing the song but admit you are singing the changed song and not the original? Spot the hypocrisy?

Even trying to remain impartial - 'Stand or Fall' as lyrics is infinitely better than 'win the cup'

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
For fans in our North Stand 'heartland' to be singing the ever-nonsensical 'going up to win the cup' under an enormous banner declaring 'Stand or Fall for Sussex by the Sea" is just ridiculous, and disrespectful to our heritage and the thousands who died trying to protect it.

Easy has got this spot on. Stand or Fall is at the heart of our totally unique anthem. Sing anything else, and you have completely missed the point.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I thought it was about generating an atmosphere rather than 'emotional meaning.'

I sing to encourage the team to greater efforts.

Edit - I do realise I'm a minority on this thread, but in the wider non NSC Brighton supporting world, I'm not sure that I am.....

Anyway it's worked for 40+ years for me and I'm not changing any time soon.

Surely 'Atmosphere' and 'emotional meaning' are intrinsically linked. The team walking out to 30,0000 people proudly singing GOSBTS in unison and with the original lyrics would (and does when the majority are doing this) send shivers down my spine and ramps up the atmosphere with its emotion.

Perhaps the speeded up football chant version during games is the subject of another discussion, but when the team walks out, that is the moment when we unite. 'Sussex by the Sea' - 'Stand or Fall'.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
"And we're going up for to win the cup"
Strange thing is that, according to the NSC folk, it should be 'stand or fall' and yet this season alone I've been in the East Upper every game except North (only once) and amidst the hard core away fans at 6 grounds and ALL sing 'going up'.
In fact I don't think I've heard 'stand or fall'
After 40 years I am not going to change.

_and_son and myself sit in the last two seats of the SWC before the barrier with the west stand. EVERYBODY to our left (West) seems to sing "going up..." and EVERYBODY to our right sings the correct words.

Is this something to do with the East and West not being able to see the screens properly? The words are there!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Nice to see the NSC song Nazis in fine fettle this morning...seriously - bore off! I couldn't give a shit what is sung so long as it adds to the atmosphere...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bully for you.

When you say 'song Nazis' (sic), you mean 'the majority', those who find culture, history and identity fairly important?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So, you are critical of people changing the song but admit you are singing the changed song and not the original? Spot the hypocrisy?

Even trying to remain impartial - 'Stand or Fall' as lyrics is infinitely better than 'win the cup'

No not really, I joined something that already existed and worked, rather than the blurred effort we get now.

If I had been one of those initially instigated the change then 'yes', you would have a point.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Surely 'Atmosphere' and 'emotional meaning' are intrinsically linked. The team walking out to 30,0000 people proudly singing GOSBTS in unison and with the original lyrics would (and does when the majority are doing this) send shivers down my spine and ramps up the atmosphere with its emotion.

Perhaps the speeded up football chant version during games is the subject of another discussion, but when the team walks out, that is the moment when we unite. 'Sussex by the Sea' - 'Stand or Fall'.

Sorry I don't agree re emotion.

You show or emit emotion, it is not always constant. For me a goal or poor refereeing decision would be triggers, coming on to the pitch less so, but we're all different and I do get your point.

I do not feel emotion shouting 'Seagulls' or singing the 'Knockaert' song for example.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm a "Stand or fall" man, but, inexplicably, I always find myself singing "And we're going up..." like a penalty-taker changing his mind at the last second and blazing it wide. I then spend a couple of minutes hating myself before deciding to move on.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm a "Stand or fall" man, but, inexplicably, I always find myself singing "And we're going up..." like a penalty-taker changing his mind at the last second and blazing it wide. I then spend a couple of minutes hating myself before deciding to move on.

practise at home
get it ingrained

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"And we're going up for to win the cup"
Strange thing is that, according to the NSC folk, it should be 'stand or fall' and yet this season alone I've been in the East Upper every game except North (only once) and amidst the hard core away fans at 6 grounds and ALL sing 'going up'.
In fact I don't think I've heard 'stand or fall'
After 40 years I am not going to change.

You might want to at least think about binning the 'for' tho eh? Might be wrong, but don't think that was ever part of the deal.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Only a couple of minutes...?

I'm still in turmoil after panicking and singing AWGOTWTC on Monday. I thought it was appropriate given the current circumstance but most around me sang YMTTATWSOF and I felt terrible afterwards...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to take this opportunity to EXCLUSIVELY declare that from the first game of the 16/17 season I will be transitioning from "win the cup..." to "stand or fall..."

I tried to hold on to history as best I could, but have ultimately been swept away by the remorseless tide of progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here