[Politics] Goring Gap High Court challenge today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The one that gets me is the objections from people living in a new build estate to proposals for another new build estate next to theirs due to loss of countryside ???

Guess what england was all countryside once!!!!

Yep thats a very regular occurrence, and happened about 15 minutes (was 5 :lol: ) along the coast in Angmering.

I take it this development will have a token nod to active travel.
But every house will have 2 parking spaces and they'll still be no cycle path from Goring to Worthing prom.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I stroll about my local area now and when I see an empty plot I think “that’ll be flats in a year”.

The car park between Beach green Shoreham and the houseboats? Definitely flats.
The field opposite the Saltings roundabout? Definitely housing.

Infrastructure and amenities don’t enter into the consultations. It’s one massive game of Tetris. If it fits, they’ll build it. And if trees get in the way? Take them down.

They’ve already destroyed a stretch of the river bank when the new pumping station flooded. Expect lost more lord when all those knees are built. Habitats destroyed for good.

Heartbreaking.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Well that is excellent news, no doubt there will be another one soon enough though

It was withdrawn because they knew that there was no chance of success. It was only ever an outline application anyway.

The hoops a developer would have to jump though within the SDNP are far more onerous than those outside the Park.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Priority should be given on new developments to people that can't afford to buy. Most ridiculous phrase used now is % of affordable homes. They are not affordable. I purchased easily a small one bedroom flat to get me on the ladder and these should be built so young can buy at £100ish. No council house should be sold unless council guarantee to replace it. Will never understand how last Labour government did not reverse the policy on sale of council houses.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I stroll about my local area now and when I see an empty plot I think “that’ll be flats in a year”.

The car park between Beach green Shoreham and the houseboats? Definitely flats.
The field opposite the Saltings roundabout? Definitely housing.

Infrastructure and amenities don’t enter into the consultations. It’s one massive game of Tetris. If it fits, they’ll build it. And if trees get in the way? Take them down.

They’ve already destroyed a stretch of the river bank when the new pumping station flooded. Expect lost more lord when all those knees are built. Habitats destroyed for good.

Heartbreaking.

You seem very confident that this is going to happen.

One look at the Worthing and Adur Local Plan suggest nothing of the sort - in fact, the opposite.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The one that gets me is the objections from people living in a new build estate to proposals for another new build estate next to theirs due to loss of countryside ???

Guess what england was all countryside once!!!!

So no one apart from the owners of the first house can object….do caves count :moo:

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You seem very confident that this is going to happen.

One look at the Worthing and Adur Local Plan suggest nothing of the sort - in fact, the opposite.

Lol…plans change …the current builds going on in Shoreham weren’t in a plan before the latest one…his confidence is from what he’s seen happen

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
The lack of investment in infrastructure is the biggest issue with these new build estates. Sounds great housing 1500 people until there's no GP or dentists appointments anymore, and you cant drive down the road without sitting in traffic for half an hour.

Not to mention they pack these houses in so tight everyones living on top of each other.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Lol…plans change …the current builds going on in Shoreham weren’t in a plan before the latest one…his confidence is from what he’s seen happen

If a planning application goes in, and it runs contrary to the Local Plan, it has every probability of being rejected.

The area between Beach Green and the houseboats is one Adur DC specifically wish to environmentally preserve. Meanwhile, the land by the Saltings roundabout has, according to Adur DC, flood risk problems that are deemed unsolvable.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If a planning application goes in, and it runs contrary to the Local Plan, it has every probability of being rejected.

The area between Beach Green and the houseboats is one Adur DC specifically wish to environmentally preserve. Meanwhile, the land by the Saltings roundabout has, according to Adur DC, flood risk problems that are deemed unsolvable.

As said….local plans change…all the current developments along the stretch of road between The High St and Kingston Lane weren’t in a local plan once …and i’d suggest the OP is basing his view on what he’s seen happen and I agree with him.

Wasn’t that land by the Saltings roundabout eventually sold to someone (Hyde) …despite the flood risk….I’m pretty sure so

Edit…yes they did buy it despite knowing the issues…I see they had a proposal turned down…but still hold the land…imo they’ll bide their time while they get on with other projects in the town

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have lived in Worthing all my life, but moved a little out to Findon 6 years ago.

I therefore have a good understanding of this site and the potential impact and whilst I am naturally against all development on green sites this one does feel a bit like a necessary sacrifice to save other land. There should be a rigid no further development North of the A259 (west of Northbrook) but it is hard to justify trying to save this space. The A259 is currently being upgraded to two lanes all the way to Bognor which will help once done and therefore I'm marginally sympathetic that this won't case as much damage as people fear. But I get why if you live near to it you would be worried.

I'd like to see a Government designate more protected land in and around villages. There are some massive developments being made in parts of Sussex that are totally changing the life for those villages with disproportionate allocations of houses given the current size of them. A place like Worthing with 100,000 population can easily absorb another 400 homes (I get there is a tipping point) but look at what they doing to some villages where the number of homes are being doubled. Yes it comes with extra facilities sometimes but it totally changes the feel of the place. That can't be right. The surrounds of Horsham and neighbouring villages are a good example.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The lack of investment in infrastructure is the biggest issue with these new build estates. Sounds great housing 1500 people until there's no GP or dentists appointments anymore, and you cant drive down the road without sitting in traffic for half an hour.

Not to mention they pack these houses in so tight everyones living on top of each other.

thats to be addressed by local government and health service. they have to accomodate those people somewhere. its a consideration for planning but shouldnt be an objection or you end up chicken and egg - there's no increase in demand so no need to provide capacity. of course needs better joining up so match and not lag. one reason larger developments are better than the trend to accept peicemeal 5, 10 house developments, as it focuses on total demand.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
We are desperate for more housing in this country. This is an obvious site to develop. The only relevant objection is the effect on local doctors, schools and the like. Everything else is just nimbyism and whataboutery

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I'd like to see a Government designate more protected land in and around villages. There are some massive developments being made in parts of Sussex that are totally changing the life for those villages with disproportionate allocations of houses given the current size of them. A place like Worthing with 100,000 population can easily absorb another 400 homes (I get there is a tipping point) but look at what they doing to some villages where the number of homes are being doubled. Yes it comes with extra facilities sometimes but it totally changes the feel of the place. That can't be right. The surrounds of Horsham and neighbouring villages are a good example.

at county or district level there should be a plan with zoning for development over the next decade or two. there will be development, so decide where it'll be and get on with it along with building services. some will be adjacent to villages, sympathetic done, more in the towns. we can vote on the plans, part of local elections then all live with that plan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
wait so you'll object based on how much profit might be made, rather than the need for housing? and unfounded assumptions of what they'll look like? heres what they're supposed to look like.
dont care for the Barret box, bit of a London thing, not everything has to be "of merit" other than substantial build and fitting with the local pattern. need homes not award winning homes.

I have spent all my adult life living in cities and I care very much about built up areas, their looks, their functionality, how we interact with the environment and how we react to the environment; in my view aesthetics are vitally important. If I had my way I'd ban these 'design and build' companies. We need distance and a bit of friction between architects and builders; it brings out the very best in both dicsiplines.

And in my opinion these new builds look shit. Very little thought has gone into their design.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I have spent all my adult life living in cities and I care very much about built up areas, their looks, their functionality, how we interact with the environment and how we react to the environment; in my view aesthetics are vitally important. If I had my way I'd ban these 'design and build' companies. We need distance and a bit of friction between architects and builders; it brings out the very best in both dicsiplines.

And in my opinion these new builds look shit. Very little thought has gone into their design.

thats fair though aethetics are subjective. this plan generally looks in keeping with the existing neighbourhoods, not high rise, similar or lower density. not sure what would look good and be fitting. dont see that it matter if the builder designs the property, shirley thats always happend for larger developments.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Quite. I’m okay with losing some green space as long as what is built there is well thought out and gives normal people the Chance to build a life, start a family, grow old together etc.

In principal, I’m in favour of the Monks Farm development in Lancing / Shoreham. But I’m dead against the 9 storey behemoth on the old civic centre site. It changes the skyline, creates darkness for dozens of houses, wipes out that tree and dwarfs the Welly. Grim.

Isn't that the crux of the problem? Applicants waste far too much time responding to bat sh1t objections, which are frankly easy to rebutt. Design objections require effort over and above an onljne petition and some home made banners, but can deliver better outcomes for everyone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
wait so you'll object based on how much profit might be made, rather than the need for housing? and unfounded assumptions of what they'll look like? heres what they're supposed to look like.
dont care for the Barret box, bit of a London thing, not everything has to be "of merit" other than substantial build and fitting with the local pattern. need homes not award winning homes.

That looks nice to me. Lots of similar going up on the edges of Faversham. The main problem here is there has been no upgrade in road infrastructure and no new schools. Most of the incomers will be commuters (to London); ironically the service to London has degenerated in the 33 years I have lived here, despite the 'high speed' link to King's Cross. So even when the houses are needed and reasonably nice, there is always something that makes the project suboptimal and unpopular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports