Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gorgeous George's Autumn Statement

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Germany's unemployed receiving welfare are given jobs that pay as little as 1 Euro / hour.

I am not aware of this, and to be honest do not believe it. Do we have unemployment here?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are we missing anyone? Looks like we have a full set to me?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"There's still no money, but we are going to spend more on popular measures that will hopefully win us an election".

The signs are that the spending proposals (eg stamp duty, new roads, flood defences) are being specifically targeted at voters who might waver towards UKIP. This may not be enough.

If they are going to win, Gideon and Dave need to pitch their messages much more towards voters in the cities of northern England. Achieving "English votes for English issues" is a useless strategy, if all it offers is the right of MPs in the south east to decide what will happen in Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester.
So on the one hand, you're saying they are going to spend more on popular measures that will hopefully win the election, and on the other you're saying they're not offering enough on popular measures to win the election?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's very difficult to pick out an individual highlight when there were so many, but the complete overhaul of the ridiculous stamp duty bands is long overdue.

It always comes down to the UK's poxy obsession with property prices. As grasping and demeaning in its way as Feral Friday.

So on the one hand, you're saying they are going to spend more on popular measures that will hopefully win the election, and on the other you're saying they're not offering enough on popular measures to win the election?
I'm saying that the Tory strategists (who seem to be led by "Gorgeous George") haven't got a clue how to win the election, but naively imagine that the sort of measures announced today might help.

They need to get out more.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The signs are that the spending proposals (eg stamp duty, new roads, flood defences) are being specifically targeted at voters who might waver towards UKIP. This may not be enough.

If they are going to win, Gideon and Dave need to pitch their messages much more towards voters in the cities of northern England. Achieving "English votes for English issues" is a useless strategy, if all it offers is the right of MPs in the south east to decide what will happen in Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester.

You missed the 5 minutes 'Northern Powerhouse' section!?

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I am not aware of this, and to be honest do not believe it. Do we have unemployment here?

My German friend is the source. As long you have a job, they will receive full welfare. appreciate many of these jobs are underpaid. just saying It's what many countries do in order to lower the unemployment figures.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My German friend is the source. As long you have a job, they will receive full welfare. appreciate many of these jobs are underpaid. just saying It's what many countries do in order to lower the unemployment figures.

Im not sure I really understand.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Germany's unemployed receiving welfare are given jobs that pay as little as 1 Euro / hour.

I have to say that I have not heard this, and I am sure that if this were widespread, surely it would have been trumpeted by someone. You do say that they are on welfare -it might of course be that this could be reasonably generous and so this is only a token gesture, You also say "as little as 1 Euro" could I take that to mean that the vast majority earn more, possibly much more? Again, I really don't know for sure but, with respect, suspect that in isolation, this does not ring true.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Im not sure I really understand.

I have to say that I have not heard this, and I am sure that if this were widespread, surely it would have been trumpeted by someone. You do say that they are on welfare -it might of course be that this could be reasonably generous and so this is only a token gesture, You also say "as little as 1 Euro" could I take that to mean that the vast majority earn more, possibly much more? Again, I really don't know for sure but, with respect, suspect that in isolation, this does not ring true.

I'm not SURE I understand either, but i THINK what he is suggesting is that, they manipulate the unemployment figures, by taking people off the dole, paying them €1/hr in made up jobs, and paying the rest of their benefits as usual.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The dark side of Germany's jobs miracle - some highlights below...

Anja has been scrubbing floors and washing dishes for two euros an hour over the past six years. She is bewildered when she sees newspapers hailing Germany's "job miracle."

"My company exploited me," says the 50-year-old, sitting in the kitchen of her small flat in the eastern German town of Stralsund. "If I could find something else, I'd be long gone.
---------
But critics say the reforms that helped create jobs also broadened and entrenched the low-paid and temporary work sector, boosting wage inequality.

Labor office data show the low wage sector grew three times as fast as other employment in the five years to 2010, explaining why the "job miracle" has not prompted Germans to spend much more than they have in the past.
---------
"I've had some people earning as little as 55 cents per hour," said Peter Huefken, the head of Stralsund's job agency, the first of its kind to sue employers for paying too little. He is encouraging other agencies to follow suit.

Data from the European Statistics Office suggests people in work in Germany are slightly less prone to poverty than their peers in the euro zone, but the risk has risen: 7.2 percent of workers were earning so little they were likely to experience poverty in 2010, versus 4.8 percent in 2005.
---------
Job growth in Germany has been especially strong for low wage and temporary agency employment because of deregulation and the promotion of flexible, low-income, state-subsidised so-called "mini-jobs."

The number of full-time workers on low wages - sometimes defined as less than two thirds of middle income - rose by 13.5 percent to 4.3 million between 2005 and 2010, three times faster than other employment, according to the Labour Office.
---------
Critics say Germany's reforms came at a high price as they firmly entrenched the low-wage sector and depressed wages, leading to a two-tier labor market.

New categories of low-income, government-subsidized jobs - a concept being considered in Spain - have proven especially problematic. Some economists say they have backfired.

They were created to help those with bad job prospects eventually become reintegrated into the regular labor market, but surveys show that for most people, they lead nowhere.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can't see a thread on this yet, although I'm not surprised our left-wing fringe are keeping their heads down.

It was an absolute triumph from the chancellor who put the 'Great' back into 'Great Britain' after the last lot highlighted, bolded and underlined the 'bust' in 'boom & bust'.

It's very difficult to pick out an individual highlight when there were so many, but the complete overhaul of the ridiculous stamp duty bands is long overdue. What is your favourite?
Comparing the Labour Party to Mars:laugh:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A friend of mine who lives in France was made redundant recently. He gets 80% of his final salary as unemployment benefit for two years. No wonder France is in the shit!

I believe Switzerland does a similar thing, if someone is made redundant the company has to keep paying them for a certain length of time or until they find another job, I think they have to actually help them find a job too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not SURE I understand either, but i THINK what he is suggesting is that, they manipulate the unemployment figures, by taking people off the dole, paying them €1/hr in made up jobs, and paying the rest of their benefits as usual.

The minimum wage comes into effect in a few weeks so if this does exist it will need to change.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I can't see a thread on this yet, although I'm not surprised our left-wing fringe are keeping their heads down.

It was an absolute triumph from the chancellor who put the 'Great' back into 'Great Britain' after the last lot highlighted, bolded and underlined the 'bust' in 'boom & bust'.

It's very difficult to pick out an individual highlight when there were so many, but the complete overhaul of the ridiculous stamp duty bands is long overdue. What is your favourite?

Here, here .... an excellent speech, well thought through, well delivered and warmly received ... what's not to like?

Stamp Duty and Long Term Loans payback my highlights, although a bumbling Ed Balls did add to the moment for me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here