Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Smith- BHA Director of football ?

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
May have mis heard, but sure I heard on local BBC radio this morning that Gordon Smith has applied for BHA director of Football Job.... If true, not sure what I think about it as I can still vividly remember that miss in '83

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He's applying for the Cheif Executive role, it's in the Argus today. Not sure what his miss in 83 or his playing career has to do with his ability to do the job. He's been head of the SFA and director of football at Rangers but was made redundant from that role when the club went into Administration. I am sure the club will only be looking at his business credentials when deciding if he makes the shortlist for the role or not.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So you can vividly remember something from 29 years ago, but think may have misheard something only this morning, oh the ageing process is so cruel!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So you can vividly remember something from 29 years ago, but think may have misheard something only this morning, oh the ageing process is so cruel!

That's exactly how the mind goes though doesn't it. A friend of my dad can vividly recall naval maneouvres from 1944, but isn't sure if yesterday was Monday or Friday.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He's applying for the Cheif Executive role, it's in the Argus today. Not sure what his miss in 83 or his playing career has to do with his ability to do the job. He's been head of the SFA and director of football at Rangers but was made redundant from that role when the club went into Administration. I am sure the club will only be looking at his business credentials when deciding if he makes the shortlist for the role or not.

With his CV and links to the club, he's a very strong candidate.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
With his CV and links to the club, he's a very strong candidate.

With TB in charge, I don't think links to the club will have any relevance. He'd just want the best candidate.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
With TB in charge, I don't think links to the club will have any relevance. He'd just want the best candidate.

Although I agree that the best candidate should get it, having a candidate who is eminently qualified and understand the club sould go a long way.

I never thought I say this but appointments like Chief Exec, Head of Football Development, Development Squad Coach and Chief Doctor really interst me at the moment as the club is clearly hiring some extremely well qualified and talented individuals. The calibre of these are very much a step up from previous appointments and whereas normally we would have needed some luck to get great people, they actually apply now!

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a dig at previous encumbents of club roles. All have worked extremely hard under difficult circumstances and its people like Perry who I refer to us as being lucky to have

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

Slight difference between vividly remembering something that I witnessed first hand and have seen on tv countless times since, to catching part of a sports news report on the radio, however I do take your point about ageing being being so cruel, I'm of the age where I can spend 10 - 15 mins searching for keys that I am already holding or for a tie that I've already put on!:)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Slight difference between vividly remembering something that I witnessed first hand and have seen on tv countless times since, to catching part of a sports news report on the radio, however I do take your point about ageing being being so cruel, I'm of the age where I can spend 10 - 15 mins searching for keys that I am already holding or for a tie that I've already put on!:)

Oh yes I know, my tongue was firmly in my cheek, happens to me all the time

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I spent 10 minutes looking for my glasses the other day before my daughter pointed out I was wearing them!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Funny how people remember that 'miss' but not the fact he scored the first goal and sent thousands of Seagull fans into estatic joy.
In my opinion it should have been Robinson who should've shot and Smith pick up any rebound...but it's history now,nothing short of a time machine can change it.
Also I hope Smithy gets the job,he is a decent man who has had a lot of experience at the job and would be an asset to the club.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A good appointment if it were to happen. I thought I remembered him having a degree in something when he came to play for us, so I went to Wiki to check. The third reference used on his Bio is.................Tim Hodges. :clap:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Although I agree that the best candidate should get it, having a candidate who is eminently qualified and understand the club sould go a long way.

I understand where you're coming from, but the fact that Gordon Smith played for us thirty years ago gives him little or no insight into the environment we're in now, surely? The Albion, and football as a whole, are unrecognisable from back then.

If he's deemed to be the best man for the job, all power to him, but I'm more interested in his (and any other candidate's) credentials than whether someone made x number of appearances for the club in the past. We used to be a jobs for the boys club, but hopefully we're now becoming a more professional outfit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Think it would be a good appointment. Regardless of what happend all those years ago when I was just 9 years old lol. Best of luck to him.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Funny how people remember that 'miss' but not the fact he scored the first goal and sent thousands of Seagull fans into estatic joy.
In my opinion it should have been Robinson who should've shot and Smith pick up any rebound...but it's history now,nothing short of a time machine can change it.
Also I hope Smithy gets the job,he is a decent man who has had a lot of experience at the job and would be an asset to the club.

Was just about to post something along these lines.

His recent stint at the SFA will stand him in good stead - I for one would be delighted at his appointment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here