• Keep him, but only as bench player and not captain

Votes: 117 63.6%
  • Get rid

Votes: 47 25.5%

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's pretty much where I was at this time last year.

One year on, I'm afraid it's time up and we need a replacement.
Don't disagree with that, but that was then, this is now. Perhaps in retrospect it's just as well we didn't let our unlamented previous recruitment team try to sign a replacement for him last summer!
I'm thinking more in practical terms - I don't know what the budget will be, but like most on here I don't expect it to be enormous, and there are other priorities - if there's enough leftover after meeting those to acquire a decent replacement, fine - otherwise we may just have to continue with GG (and/or Halford) until a development squaddy is ready to step up.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
i would only give captains to someone else - Kayal maybe (although he may be a bit of a hot head), but Greer is not an inspirational leader

i would still play him, quite regularly - but i would ban him from going up for corners = pointless

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Would like to see Ince in the team and as midfield options are limited he should be put in his original CB position along side Dunk.
Greer is gone and his distribution woeful.

That's a little harsh re GG. While l do agree that time is fast catching up with him, and he has lost most of the pace that he had, he is still a fine positional player, and a good captain too. Maybe even worth his place in the team We certainly don't have anyone better at the club at the moment.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Time to say goodbye to Mr G. We need strength in depth as well as a great first eleven. I don't see him helping out either need.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
What makes me laugh is the people who say he's a shit captain because he shouts at people on the pitch. Was he shit when we won League 1 or had credible finishes in the play offs? Clowns. Small minded idiots see a few classy performances from Kayal and decide he's the chosen one without knowing anything about the bloke

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
What makes me laugh is the people who say he's a shit captain because he shouts at people on the pitch. Was he shit when we won League 1 or had credible finishes in the play offs? Clowns. Small minded idiots see a few classy performances from Kayal and decide he's the chosen one without knowing anything about the bloke

whilst i agree that kayal is too new to be captain what has greer shown this season that means he deserves to continue in the role. he is a worse player this year than last (only wine and cheese get better with age). time for him take to the bench and step up when needed like casper

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Time to say goodbye to Mr G. We need strength in depth as well as a great first eleven. I don't see him helping out either need.

He has a year's contract extension, we will be seeing him next season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Small minded idiots see a few classy performances from Kayal and decide he's the chosen one without knowing anything about the bloke
Bullshit. Know everything we need to know about Kayal by his bearing and demeanour on the pitch. Bloke's a born leader, same as Danny Cullip was. Never knew anything about that bloke either. but still knew as much as I needed to know.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In his time here as captain, Gordon Greer has captained a team that:
a) won the league one title
b) reached the play offs for 2 of the next 3 seasons

To recap, the Greer years have seen one crap season out of five. One. So for that alone, I'd keep him as a squad player (certainly ahead of Halford!), but as club captain rather than captain of the team. Plus, reinforcement at centre-back comes only half-way down the list, IMO. Maybe lower than that.

Some people on here seem to want to put him out to pasture without batting an eyelid. This seems very odd to me when you think of all the love for Inigo Calderon. Gordon Greer is probably almost as deserving of the adulation as Calde in terms of his achievements for this club. Maybe he should tweet a bit more often. ???

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In his time here as captain, Gordon Greer has captained a team that:
a) won the league one title
b) reached the play offs for 2 of the next 3 seasons

To recap, the Greer years have seen one crap season out of five. One. So for that alone, I'd keep him as a squad player (certainly ahead of Halford!), but as club captain rather than captain of the team. Plus, reinforcement at centre-back comes only half-way down the list, IMO. Maybe lower than that.

Some people on here seem to want to put him out to pasture without batting an eyelid. This seems very odd to me when you think of all the love for Inigo Calderon. Gordon Greer is probably almost as deserving of the adulation as Calde in terms of his achievements for this club. Maybe he should tweet a bit more often. ???

Maybe even MORE deserving of adulation than Calde. Would we have won that League One title without his inspirational captaincy and leadership?, or reached the Championship play-offs two seasons in a row?, plus of course he is a fine centre half.

Ok he is in decliine now, l can't argue with that, but at 34 l stiill think he is dolng a pretty good job, and l think his positional sense and leadership are more than enough to keep him at the club.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Although I agree on your priorities I do have a problem with the 9th best defense figures that keep getting trotted out, this was not because we have a good defense but because we defended as a team with 8-9 players behind the ball at all times and therefore the midfielders main priorty has been to protect the back four which has severely damaged our ability to attack as a team.

If we had a better defense then the midfield would be able to play a more balanced game and forgive me for living in a fantasy world but might actually allow us to score a goal. Without a new LB, RB and CB I think we will still struggle to score many next season we really do need changes throughout the team and that includes Gordon Greer.

Oh Lord, so much this.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Maybe even MORE deserving of adulation than Calde. Would we have won that League One title without his inspirational captaincy and leadership?, or reached the Championship play-offs two seasons in a row?, plus of course he is a fine centre half.

Ok he is in decliine now, l can't argue with that, but at 34 l stiill think he is dolng a pretty good job, and l think his positional sense and leadership are more than enough to keep him at the club.
Well said, we look a poorer team without him (not just this season but previously).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here