Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Greer has been an excellent signing and part of a great team brought together by Poyet. There is little doubt that he is in decline though, question is can we get someone in who can slot straight in and improve the team? Remember this is the team captain as well as the centre half, Halford can possibly step up in the short term if this is about form but a loan signing that immediately fills the breach? Not so sure personally.

I think this is something that CH is going to have to manage in the short term and deal with properly in the summer...

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Great post from the OP! Nail on the head.
Greer is not the player he was two seasons ago. Looking very old & slow now. Our defensive back line needs a massive re-haul in the summer - Bruno, Greer and Calde all too slow for Championship football...could be allright for League One...every silver lining...!!
I would give me left nut sack to have Tommy Elphick still at the club. It would be awesome to have two homegrown CB's - Him and Dunk.

You have more than one nut sack?! weird

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Anybody else see Greer try to elbow Assombalonga in the nuts during the 2nd half. He was very lucky not to get a red card in my opinion.
He was having a spat with Assombalonga for about 10 mins in the 2nd half. Ref was a tosser though, so didnt see it

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think most people will know that I'm a big Greer fan, I was when he was at Swindon. His performances at the start of the season were superb, for me he was the player of the season in the first few months - admittedly the standard wasn't very high. I have missed a lot of games recently unfortunately, I've only seen 2 games this calendar year. His performance on saturday was easily his worst in a Brighton shirt and I don't say that lightly. It was a poor performance from a good player, he remains our captain and leader but he needs to stand up and be counted if he's in the team tomorrow. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he isn't in the team, and it would send the right message if he isn't - nobody gets in the team if your performances don't merit your place.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think most people will know that I'm a big Greer fan, I was when he was at Swindon. His performances at the start of the season were superb, for me he was the player of the season in the first few months - admittedly the standard wasn't very high. I have missed a lot of games recently unfortunately, I've only seen 2 games this calendar year. His performance on saturday was easily his worst in a Brighton shirt and I don't say that lightly. It was a poor performance from a good player, he remains our captain and leader but he needs to stand up and be counted if he's in the team tomorrow. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he isn't in the team, and it would send the right message if he isn't - nobody gets in the team if your performances don't merit your place.

I think that's a very fair assessment and as you say, you are definitely his number one fan.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When a player gets to Greer's age it's hard to start every match and be captain too. With hindsight it would have been better if Hyypia had made Dunk captain back in the summer, thus making it easier to drop/rest Greer but then aim to get 35 games from Greer and 15 from Hughes.

The Albion very rarely sub the centre backs. That said, if our attacking players had played with consistency then the manager might have been able to rest Greer more. As it is we're usually behind on 70 mins so usually chasing the game so swapping a forward player for another forward player.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Greer is not up to standard in this division anymore. Weak aerially and a very poor passer. His aimless hoofs up the pitch are becoming more and more regular. I thank him for his service as he's been a consistent and loyal servant of the club but his time is up, we should have sold him to Barnsley as league 1 is now his level and we will be heading there unless we make a change. Halford has not put a foot wrong in the games he has played and has to start tomorrow.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I don't think there is any need to get rid of GG at all, he has another years contract and I would be happy to have him in my squad, I'm sure we will look at the captaincy again in the summer, wether he would be happy with not playing every week is another matter.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Hughes and Halford starting tomorrow or is that too much of a risk?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here