Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Don't really get the impression that Oscar is particularly bothered about defending anyway. Would expect minimal signings in that area.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Greer had some SHOCKERS this season, only got his place back when El Abd got suspended, wouldn't be too bothered if someone who can pass the ball forwards got the captaincy tbh

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Greer had some SHOCKERS this season, only got his place back when El Abd got suspended, wouldn't be too bothered if someone who can pass the ball forwards got the captaincy tbh

I've been waiting for this post. :lolol:

It's an opinion, so you're entitled to it but I do have to question what you expect from a central defender and what exactly you saw that warrants such frequent criticism of Greer. Our playing style is obvious to everyone, we don't lump it forward all the time, we keep it. Hence the short passing from the back.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I've been waiting for this post. :lolol:

It's an opinion, so you're entitled to it but I do have to question what you expect from a central defender and what exactly you saw that warrants such frequent criticism of Greer. Our playing style is obvious to everyone, we don't lump it forward all the time, we keep it. Hence the short passing from the back.

There's a difference between keeping the ball and the majority of passes going sideways/backwards. The "frequent criticism" of Greer is to balance out the love in that certain posters have for Greer who believe he can do no wrong.

Thanks for explaining our style of play, I must have missed that sometime :rolleyes: but again there's a big difference between keeping it at the back to move the opposition about, and the ball going PIG to Greer, Greer to PIG, PIG to Greer, Greer to El Abd, El Abd to Greer, Greer passes it too short for El Abd and then stands there berating El Abd for it.

As you say its about opinions, and yours is about as likely to change as mine :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There's a difference between keeping the ball and the majority of passes going sideways/backwards. The "frequent criticism" of Greer is to balance out the love in that certain posters have for Greer who believe he can do no wrong.

Thanks for explaining our style of play, I must have missed that sometime :rolleyes: but again there's a big difference between keeping it at the back to move the opposition about, and the ball going PIG to Greer, Greer to PIG, PIG to Greer, Greer to El Abd, El Abd to Greer, Greer passes it too short for El Abd and then stands there berating El Abd for it.

As you say its about opinions, and yours is about as likely to change as mine :)

We have never done badly with Greer in our team. Any love for him is based on his performances on the pitch. I do agree he is a crab on the ball more often than not, but he is under instruction. When he does unleash a forward pass we see what he can do, the ball to Buckley vs Bristol City in the first season at the Amex, for example. Released him down the wing, early ball into the box and CMS goal. I suspect we'll see more of that next season with a more attacking conductor.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
We have never done badly with Greer in our team. Any love for him is based on his performances on the pitch. I do agree he is a crab on the ball more often than not, but he is under instruction. When he does unleash a forward pass we see what he can do, the ball to Buckley vs Bristol City in the first season at the Amex, for example. Released him down the wing, early ball into the box and CMS goal. I suspect we'll see more of that next season with a more attacking conductor.

We have done badly with Greer in the team, him motioning to Casper to smack it upfield v Leeds in injury time in the 2nd half in 1st season at the Amex springs to mind, thing is that when any defender has a howler in a team that plays the way we did under Gus it showed. I agree he can play a decent forward pass but more often than not looks sideways/backwards as a 1st option.

Greer is a good player but is he is quite in that class of player who you can label "lower table Premiership/top 6 Championship"? Ideally our captain should be one of those.
There's isn't an obvious alternative at the moment but Garcia may bring in his own men

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here