Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Brown Speech.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Reminded me of another great speech he made, just before the 2010 election. He's actually a great orator - a side of him people didn't see enough of. I think he suffered from being mercilessly vilified by the media, who were keen to attack him at every turn. Given what he was given to deal with and a largely savage and biased press, he was on a hiding to nothing. Interesting that he was always painted as uncharismatic, but watch these speeches and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Pathetic post.
Thicko Brown had a LOT a gold to sell, swamping the market amounts, so what did he do? Unbelievably he TOLD everyone this and all the buyers lowered their offers to rock bottom levels as he had shown his hand. Numbskull

Price of gold when the announcement was made: $282.40 per ounce.

Average sale price: ~$275 per ounce.

Hardly rock bottom, but believe what you want to believe.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
If only he showed that much passion when he was PM. However, he was passionate about selling our gold reserves :whistle:

Well he couldn't sell the Council houses, railways, utilities or the phones as the Tories had already bailed themselves out with those. ???

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Good speech, unlike so many other NO speeches this one seemed to come from the head AND the heart.

I don't think he was as bad a PM as he was portrayed - it was a media creation - although he probably could have done better.

But he is a decent and principled bloke for whom I have a good deal of respect, and hearing that speech yesterday made me sit up and take notice.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
As chancellor, wasn't it largely his mess?

I don't hold any allegiance to any political party, they all have their moments. But I personally think he was one of the best chancellors we have had. And quite rightly as someone has already mentioned I hardly think it fair to blame him for any mess. If you could fault him it was perhaps he was too kind. The 'mess' you mentioned was almost entirely global and with billions spent on 'Blairs War' (not his call) and his ensuring the NHS was sufficiently funded we were hardly likely to be the only survivor. Give the guy a break, he's a good honest politician.... just a crap Mr Jolly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
History will have him down as the man who saved Great Britain.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
History will have him down as the man who saved Great Britain.

Interesting observation, and one that I agree with.

I never rated him as a PM, but I have to say the way he has stepped up in the last 7 days and orated with such passion and conviction has made me realise I was wrong.

Com'eth the hour, com'eth the man. I think the Scots will vote "No" and that will be in no small part thanks to Gordon Brown putting his bruised ego to one side and coming out fighting like a man possessed. Maybe this was the moment he was destined for? Far, far more important than being PM for a few years.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He could be the man who saved the union, which would be an amazing legacy to be remembered in history.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes the international financial crisis which started ineAmerica was entirely Gordon Brown's fault.
Because that was the only thing wrong with the way our economy was managed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here