Google Nexus 7

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Anybody get Seagull player to work on the nexus 7?

Downloaded flash and Firefox beta as flash is not compatible with chrome. Went to seagull website, which initially was the mobile site, changed to desktop format, thought great.

However, can view the videos but not the live commentary games.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anybody get Seagull player to work on the nexus 7?

Downloaded flash and Firefox beta as flash is not compatible with chrome. Went to seagull website, which initially was the mobile site, changed to desktop format, thought great.

However, can view the videos but not the live commentary games.....

I know you can get both commentary and video to work on iPad. Is there similar flash streaming software for Android?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Time for a bump I think.

With a new model strongly rumoured, (http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/new-google-nexus-7-release-date-and-specs-teased-by-asus-rep)

it must be worth a quick review of user experience a year after release.

Mine has been used every day, without exception and I have very few regrets and no plans to replace or upgrade it any time soon.

I did go down the route of rooting the device and playing around with custom ROMs, but quickly lost interest in this, as the core code is both rock solid and functionally rich, I decided I wasn't missing anything.

Has anyone had any issues with shonky hardware ?

I have two minor issues to declare. The first and more serious one is that the mirco usb port is slightly split, meaning the cable can come loose. I addressed this by buying a Nexus 7 dock, which is simple and effective. The down side of this is that I need to take it out of the protective case I bought. As a result I don't use the case at home and I now have a few scuff marks around the bezel edge, where it has been dropped a few times.

Google Now still throws the odd useful bone. For example Sunday I booked a flight for my other half from Belfast to Gatwick, Emailed her the details and agreed to collect her from the airport. So a notification without me even asking that the plane had been delayed leaving Belfast, was useful enough to overcome any issues I have with loss of privacy ( I really don't have much to hide though)

So Nexus 7 users, has anyone ditched one, due to boredom, shonky hardware, difficulties or better shinier toys ?
Has anyone suffered from android security issues that they are aware of ?
Has anyone got absolutely no experience of using a Nexus 7, but would just like to pop by anyway to tell us how much better the ipad is just because you bought one ?

Back to you NSC

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I use mine every day, and am typing this from it now. Think it's a great piece of kit, especially considering its price.

The only issue I've had is that something seems to be causing it to slow down and I just can't figure out what. It has plenty of space and no spammy apps but every so often I experience the sort of lag you don't expect from something this capable.

I'm sure there's a simple solution and it isn't so bad that it massively affects my experience but I do wonder if I'm going to have to reset the thing to get it back to full speed.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by my lightning fast HTC One handset but I'm pretty sure when I first bought my Nexus there was no lag and it's not old enough yet to be suffering compulsory hardware slowdown, surely?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I use mine every day, and am typing this from it now. Think it's a great piece of kit, especially considering its price.

The only issue I've had is that something seems to be causing it to slow down and I just can't figure out what. It has plenty of space and no spammy apps but every so often I experience the sort of lag you don't expect from something this capable.

I'm sure there's a simple solution and it isn't so bad that it massively affects my experience but I do wonder if I'm going to have to reset the thing to get it back to full speed.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by my lightning fast HTC One handset but I'm pretty sure when I first bought my Nexus there was no lag and it's not old enough yet to be suffering compulsory hardware slowdown, surely?

I found this article a few weeks ago which echo your experience
http://androidandme.com/2013/06/opi...ned/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Hopefully, if there's enough people with similar complaints, Google will fix the issue.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Use mine everyday, and I have suffered the slow-down and lagging problem, I have thought about a master rest and reloading my apps etc. but will leave it for now, hopfully Google will push out an update soon.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I found this article a few weeks ago which echo your experience
http://androidandme.com/2013/06/opi...ned/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Hopefully, if there's enough people with similar complaints, Google will fix the issue.

Crikey. That's disconcerting.

Nice to know I'm not alone but incredibly annoying that it looks as if there's **** all I can do about it.

I guess the price was a bit too good to be true.

The device isn't unusable, it's just not a patch on what it was. I mainly just use it for reading anyway so it serves its main purpose well enough but really gutted to hear there's no going back to how it once was.

Cheers for the link

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Samsung S4 and HTC One coming soon with "Google Edition" OS, ie not wrapped up in Samsung or HTCs own OS bloatware. Supposed to be a lot less clunky and perform much better, like the Nexus tablets, rumours that other phones will follow suit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Crikey. That's disconcerting.

Nice to know I'm not alone but incredibly annoying that it looks as if there's **** all I can do about it.

I guess the price was a bit too good to be true.

The device isn't unusable, it's just not a patch on what it was. I mainly just use it for reading anyway so it serves its main purpose well enough but really gutted to hear there's no going back to how it once was.

Cheers for the link

I haven't usually got this problem but have occasionally noticed it. Sometimes it lags after waking it up but soon enough it speeds up. Atm it's flying!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Samsung S4 and HTC One coming soon with "Google Edition" OS, ie not wrapped up in Samsung or HTCs own OS bloatware. Supposed to be a lot less clunky and perform much better, like the Nexus tablets, rumours that other phones will follow suit.

"Google Play Edition" actually. Both already released in the States.

Big plus: a lot more useable memory. The S4 in particular, due to being only 16gb, gives the user a lot more space to play with once all the Samsung shite is out the way.

Big minus: they are not Nexus devices and you will not get OS updates immediately from Google - you'll still be relying on Samsung and HTC, and we all know how Android handset manufacturers like to abandon their users when it comes to OS updates.

The ROMs for these devices are already widely available so you can turn your bloated S4/One into Google Play Edition devices yourself if you want.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

But the HTC One doesn't have any performance issues whatsoever and is blisteringly fast. Furthermore, the Nexus tablets patently AREN'T performing well so trying to sell something based on that experience seems flawed.

From what I've read the HTC One Google Play Edition offers a near enough identical experience, just without the extras you get with HTC's Sense interface, which personally I really like. For example it is much better at organising your contacts and recognising duplicates than stock Android. And although it's not for everyone I find the Blinkfeed is great fun, and something I'd miss if it weren't part of the phone.

I think with Samsung devices you do tend to get more crap thrown in and I'm less keen on the Touchwiz UI (do they still call it that) so I can see a desire for Galaxy owners to get one without the Samsung flavouring. However I think HTC's own offering is a lot more refined and well designed, negating the need for a version with stock Android. Although I'm still pleased we have a choice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here