Dorset

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK [MENTION=4721]seven stands[/MENTION], I'm liking the video, you are a man who obviously knows how to speak to a jobber.

Orange were out of 'cheap' phones, so looking on Tescos they had this:-
Buy Orange Sydney Black Includes 10 top-up from our Pay as you go Phones range - Tesco.com

With that £45 phone in my pocket, set as the video describes, it'll still be WI-FI but 'talking' to my Nexus, yes?

So I would then need to add the £12.67 3G Sim, into the phone, and I'd have 3G, yes?

Which would mean for the outlay of £256.67

I could have a Google Nexus 7 tablet, that runs anywhere, so long as the phone is topped up and with me, yes?

Last edited:

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Don't think thats an android phone( so not sure about teathering ) and will prob be locked to orange so the 3 Sim you linked earlier won't work but orange Sim would give 3g ( don't confuse the 3 network being the only 3g provider )

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't think thats an android phone( so not sure about teathering ) and will prob be locked to orange so the 3 Sim you linked earlier won't work but orange Sim would give 3g ( don't confuse the 3 network being the only 3g provider )
That was going to be my next question.
I just couldn't work out if I was being stupid or not.

At least that confirms the levels with which you are working!

I'm off to bed now, so I'll leave it there, other than:-
If the phone were to have been android and on the 3 network, I take it the principle holds up?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you don't have a tetherable phone or are not going to get a tetherable phone then get a MiFi.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Seems a bit of a faff to be buying one device to pair it with another when out and about. Then you have to concern yourself with them both maintaining connection and the hit on each one's battery life as they pair with each other.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Seems a bit of a faff to be buying one device to pair it with another when out and about. Then you have to concern yourself with them both maintaining connection and the hit on each one's battery life as they pair with each other.

I've tethered my phone and tablet often. The phone battery is the one which takes a hit. Tablets usually have fantastic battery life!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The thing for me, is I'm so far behind the curve (I don't know if you'd noticed) on tech, it's impossible to get started without thinking 'I'm chucking good money away here'.
Plus not believing impartial advise exists in-store, when someone like me walks in!

I have a phone, I pay £10 every 2 or 3 months, at face value do I want, or more importantly need, a £20 a month smart phone and contract.

I like the idea of t'internet anywhere, with a decent screen.
But from the outside looking in, not enough to sign up to x contract, for x months.
I've always thought the IPad as being too expensive for just arseing about on.

Hence my desire to to find out EXACTLY(ish) what a £200 toy will cost me, in total.

I do realise once I take the plunge 6 months later I'll look like Inspector Gadget, paying £100 a month for all my various contracts!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK [MENTION=4721]seven stands[/MENTION], I'm liking the video, you are a man who obviously knows how to speak to a jobber.

Orange were out of 'cheap' phones, so looking on Tescos they had this:-
Buy Orange Sydney Black Includes 10 top-up from our Pay as you go Phones range - Tesco.com

With that £45 phone in my pocket, set as the video describes, it'll still be WI-FI but 'talking' to my Nexus, yes?

So I would then need to add the £12.67 3G Sim, into the phone, and I'd have 3G, yes?

Which would mean for the outlay of £256.67

I could have a Google Nexus 7 tablet, that runs anywhere, so long as the phone is topped up and with me, yes?
Same principle, but hopefully better presented:-

Nexus 7 (16GB) - Google Play @ £200
+
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-MINI-THREE-3HPG-WEB15 @ £70
+
New Three 3 Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband Sim Card 3GB Data for 90 Days | eBay @ £13

=

A tablet that goes anywhere, plus a new phone for £283, (or £243 for 8GB)

Is that correct?

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Same principle, but hopefully better presented:-

Nexus 7 (16GB) - Google Play @ £200
+
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-MINI-THREE-3HPG-WEB15 @ £70
+
New Three 3 Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband Sim Card 3GB Data for 90 Days | eBay @ £13

=

A tablet that goes anywhere, plus a new phone for £283, (or £243 for 8GB)

Is that correct?

I would suggest you are trying to bite off more than you can chew. If you have managed well enough thus far without mobile data, why do you feel the pressing need to jump in with both feet now ?

Why not either buy a large format smartphone (Galaxy or similar) or just buy a Nexus 7 and see how you get on just with WiFi. If you sign up for BT OpenZone and make use of free WiFi around bars and restaurants, you may find you don't need an always on connection.

Waiting of course is also an option. It looks like we may see some 4G launch offers for the Iphone 5 later this year, although I would not expect to see any bargains on offer.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The thing for me, is I'm so far behind the curve (I don't know if you'd noticed) on tech, it's impossible to get started without thinking 'I'm chucking good money away here'.
Plus not believing impartial advise exists in-store, when someone like me walks in!

I have a phone, I pay £10 every 2 or 3 months, at face value do I want, or more importantly need, a £20 a month smart phone and contract.

I like the idea of t'internet anywhere, with a decent screen.
But from the outside looking in, not enough to sign up to x contract, for x months.
I've always thought the IPad as being too expensive for just arseing about on.

Hence my desire to to find out EXACTLY(ish) what a £200 toy will cost me, in total.

I do realise once I take the plunge 6 months later I'll look like Inspector Gadget, paying £100 a month for all my various contracts!

Easy.

Buy a pre-loved iPad 1 that has a 3G slot for £200 and then get a cheap mobile data SIM from 3 (£7.50 a month I think). That way you'll get the Internet with a decent full tablet screen and not pay lots to maintain it. I did this a year ago (although the going rate for iPad 1 was about £270 then) and am very pleased I did.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I've just subscribed to the digital version of TSLR, the latest release is now sitting on my Nexus 7. Gives me something to read on the 'H' bus if it turns up.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], have you given in yet?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], have you given in yet?
I get to the point, then bottle it.

The 21st (probably more like 20th) century is in touching distance, but I just can't grab it.

The money I'd set aside for tech, rapidly vanishing didn't help!

I take it you're still in luuuurrvveee with the Nex?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports