Good to see Baldock back

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ummmm nooo not desperate to criticise the lad just making a point and asking a question chill out FFS !!
Anyway that ones wrong

You have a very good point about his goal to game ratio but the assists he provided today were a class above. Stephens had the perfect ball laid in front of him at the perfect pace. Balders skill to assist Wilson was top notch too. He needs more goals but he has not played in a losing side this season, surely that counts for something ?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
You have a very good point about his goal to game ratio but the assists he provided today were a class above. Stephens had the perfect ball laid in front of him at the perfect pace. Balders skill to assist Wilson was top notch too. He needs more goals but he has not played in a losing side this season, surely that counts for something ?

Exactly. MOTH today and a class act.......

TNBA

TTF

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hoping not to pee anyone off, but was I the only one that thought Baldock had lost control of the ball for the goal, which he just managed to toe poke to Wilson.

While he appears to be everywhere some games, at times his final touch appears to desert him. - Just saying! (puts on flack jacket)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sidwell? Are you taking the piss?

Should have disagreed at the time then rather than being a smart arse now.

I bet I wasn't alone in thinking Sidwell was a great addition and could be crucial as cover for Kayal and Stephens (he still could be btw). As it happens Sidwell has disappointed since I wrote that original post, I won't deny that. I also won't deny that Baldock has been much more influential than Sidwell since the time of writing either. There you go, happy now?

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Should have disagreed at the time then rather than being a smart arse now.

I bet I wasn't alone in thinking Sidwell was a great addition and could be crucial as cover for Kayal and Stephens (he still could be btw). As it happens Sidwell has disappointed since I wrote that original post, I won't deny that. I also won't deny that Baldock has been much more influential than Sidwell since the time of writing either. There you go, happy now?
I would've done if I'd seen it earlier smart arse. Sidwell hasn't shown much, if anything since his arrival imo. Anything but a great addition.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it's a shame we keep having to take Baldock's performance apart after every game he doesn't score in.

He's playing well, his runs off the ball are superb (I've said it before, but off the ball he's the best striker we've had since Zamora first time round). I don't give a toss how many he scores as long as we keep winning. Finally, if he wasn't so profligate, given his other attributes he'd be playing for a club of the stature of say, Everton, or indeed still be at West Ham.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've got to be honest, I've supported Baldock a lot on these forums and threads, yet I thought he was pretty average tonight - in fact, I'm genuinely shocked he got MOTM as there were 4 or 5 other Brighton players who out performed him.

Yes he set up the goal, but his part in it was tiny in comparison to the excellent finish from Wilson. And yes he did work exceptionally hard and his movement was good, but again, he did no more than Wilson in that regard. Yes he worked hard defensively, but so did the whole team? I actually thought that, despite the positives, he looked timid in the moments when he had to be really decisive tonight. A number of moves/very promising situations broke down and opportunities got away from him because he didn't have the confidence to take on his man, or take a touch and shoot when in a decent opportunity.

None of this is to bash Baldock, he was a solid 7/10 tonight and he certainly shouldn't be dropped. But he wasn't decisive in the way Wilson was and he certainly wasn't MOTM.

As regards last night, he was much better than that. You're also missing out his other assists (for Stephens and Murphy), the movement to get the space for that poor finish, and the fact that his work rate and pressing were better than the rest of the team -- I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that he dispossessed them about five times in the first half, all of which were in their half of the pitch.
As regards Baldock in general this season, he's a strange one. The stats are pretty conclusive: (I think) when he's started, we've now won 13, drawn 7, lost 0. As regards watching him, he's relatively frustrating, his finishing has been poor (as again when given an opportunity last night), he often fluffs good opportunities, but his work rate is unquestionable, he's pretty rapid and can do those high intensity sprints as with Knockaert (there were plenty of those from both last night), and his movement is simply excellent, probably his greatest strength as it disrupts our opponents' defensive organisation, and opens up spaces/opportunities for others, while at other times, also giving us a great opportunity to get the ball swiftly up the pitch/into the corners/behind the defence.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
For 30 minutes he was absolutely brilliant.

Faded after that, but I genuinely believe thAt was one of his best performances for us.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am not Baldock's biggest fan,i am not really a fan of any of our striking options to be honest.
But i certainly see what they provide to us as a team.

Im hoping Mr Baldock is saving his little goal scoring streak for these final half dozen games :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As regards last night, he was much better than that. You're also missing out his other assists (for Stephens and Murphy), the movement to get the space for that poor finish, and the fact that his work rate and pressing were better than the rest of the team -- I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that he dispossessed them about five times in the first half, all of which were in their half of the pitch.
As regards Baldock in general this season, he's a strange one. The stats are pretty conclusive: (I think) when he's started, we've now won 13, drawn 7, lost 0. As regards watching him, he's relatively frustrating, his finishing has been poor (as again when given an opportunity last night), he often fluffs good opportunities, but his work rate is unquestionable, he's pretty rapid and can do those high intensity sprints as with Knockaert (there were plenty of those from both last night), and his movement is simply excellent, probably his greatest strength as it disrupts our opponents' defensive organisation, and opens up spaces/opportunities for others, while at other times, also giving us a great opportunity to get the ball swiftly up the pitch/into the corners/behind the defence.
Missed last night's game, but Baldock also has a first touch comparable with Bruno and Calde. CMS-like he is not.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought he was excellent last night. Just watching the highlights back and he pretty much set up all of our chances including the goal. His running and movement had McShane and Ferdinand unable to settle at any point, dragging them into of places they didn't want to be. He so often knitted Knockeart and Murphy into space, and the three of them in particular worked their arses off. Shame Baldock just doesn't quite have that goalscorer's ruthlessness, again the chance Knocky presented to him second half should really have sealed the game, but whereas he seems in control in so many other aspects of his game, his finishing is wanting at times. Delighted with him though, he definitely unlocks so many options for us.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am not Baldock's biggest fan,i am not really a fan of any of our striking options to be honest.
But i certainly see what they provide to us as a team.

Im hoping Mr Baldock is saving his little goal scoring streak for these final half dozen games :)

Good call about that (thus far elusive) streak.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Missed last night's game, but Baldock also has a first touch comparable with Bruno and Calde. CMS-like he is not.

From what I see, his first touch can be Bruno-like (Calde certainly isn't anywhere near that level of class) but, equally, at other times, it can be CMS-like.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No doubt those slating Baldock are the very same that constantly slated Barnes. ie no idea what they're talking about

No they're not. Plenty of big Barnes fans on here that don't rate Baldock. Myself included.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
No doubt those slating Baldock are the very same that constantly slated Barnes. ie no idea what they're talking about
And you of course the big I am are soooo knowledgeable

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Does anyone else remember that old striker we had who got slated for not scoring enough goals, Ashley Barnes was his name I think.

Seriously, why would anyone doubt what Baldock offers, the only thing I can think of is you stand and sit behind the goal, as away games I often see games very differently to how I do if I sit along the side of the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports