Good to see Baldock back

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Correct me if im wrong but wasn't he bought as a striker for £2.5 million after scoring about 30 something goals in the season they got relegated for Brizzle City and how many has he scored for Albion ???

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He was simply fantastic tonight: there were no end of interceptions he made especially in the first half, his movement was great, and he also provided two great assists: one which Wilson put away with aplomb, the other Murphy failed to capitalise.

Edit: just seen the highlights: there was a third great assist, to Stephens in the first half. There was also that miss, when Knockaert set him up and he should have put it away.

I've got to be honest, I've supported Baldock a lot on these forums and threads, yet I thought he was pretty average tonight - in fact, I'm genuinely shocked he got MOTM as there were 4 or 5 other Brighton players who out performed him.

Yes he set up the goal, but his part in it was tiny in comparison to the excellent finish from Wilson. And yes he did work exceptionally hard and his movement was good, but again, he did no more than Wilson in that regard. Yes he worked hard defensively, but so did the whole team? I actually thought that, despite the positives, he looked timid in the moments when he had to be really decisive tonight. A number of moves/very promising situations broke down and opportunities got away from him because he didn't have the confidence to take on his man, or take a touch and shoot when in a decent opportunity.

None of this is to bash Baldock, he was a solid 7/10 tonight and he certainly shouldn't be dropped. But he wasn't decisive in the way Wilson was and he certainly wasn't MOTM.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes we do, he did one thing tonight set up a goal , well done that man, but as for the rest of the game ermmm nothing !!

You are thinking along the lines of 'he is a striker, he didn't score'. As others have said, football is about more than that. He was superb tonight.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Correct me if im wrong but wasn't he bought as a striker for £2.5 million after scoring about 30 something goals in the season they got relegated for Brizzle City and how many has he scored for Albion ???

Does it matter how many he scores as long as the team wins when he plays? We haven't lost a single game of the 20 he has started in the league this season; do you really think that's a coincidence?

And you are wrong, the fee was under £2 million and he scored 26 in League One for City the season before they went up.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
You are thinking along the lines of 'he is a striker, he didn't score'. As others have said, football is about more than that. He was superb tonight.

No I don't think like that i have managed football teams at Res County Level and other levels myself and been quite successful too, i have Level 2 coaching so i doubt very much if i think like that at all.
It's just a question I asked, If your brought in to do a specific job , you should be doing that job too and he isn't is he ?
All in all since he has been at Albion he hasn't stood as as the player many people thought he would.
He certainly very very rarely scores either.
He's not crap by any stretch of the imagination but just not a player that stands like quite a few of the others.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Senior career* Sam Baldock

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2005–2011 Milton Keynes Dons 102 (33)
2011–2012 West Ham United 23 (5)
2012–2014 Bristol City 83 (34)
2014– Brighton & Hove Albion 26 (4)

Not a prolific goal scorer so why did we buy him for so much then ?
I'm only asking a reasonable question

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No I don't think like that i have managed football teams at Res County Level and other levels myself and been quite successful too, i have Level 2 coaching so i doubt very much if i think like that at all.
It's just a question I asked, If your brought in to do a specific job , you should be doing that job too and he isn't is he ?
All in all since he has been at Albion he hasn't stood as as the player many people thought he would.
He certainly very very rarely scores either.
He's not crap by any stretch of the imagination but just not a player that stands like quite a few of the others.

A striker isn't bought in just to score goals. Some strikers don't need to be prolific to be great strikers - his run, quick feet & pace today was what made the goal - great finish too fwiw :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would guess that we bought him for a combination of his attributes, including his goals. He's scored less than we would like, but he's still performing well. If he plays well and helps the team win, that will outweigh the fact that he's not scoring.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
I would guess that we bought him for a combination of his attributes, including his goals. He's scored less than we would like, but he's still performing well. If he plays well and helps the team win, that will outweigh the fact that he's not scoring.

Fair assumption mate, agreed good answer

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

He was very good tonight, why are you so desperate to criticise him that you have to pull up his record as a negative?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

His technique, tenacity, ability to draw defenders out of the game and open avenues for his strike partner (Hemed looks lost without Baldock alongside him IMO). His leadership, pace, intelligence etc etc. He isn't a conventional striker by any means and he does need to be played in the right system to be effective.

Put it this way; if his primary job was to score goals, Hughton wouldn't keep picking him.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
He was very good tonight, why are you so desperate to criticise him that you have to pull up his record as a negative?

Ummmm nooo not desperate to criticise the lad just making a point and asking a question chill out FFS !!
Anyway that ones wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports