Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Good to see all those EU flags being waved . . .

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
1974, I was on a school trip to the Pavilion the day before, saw all the acts doing publicity stuff outside.

I was in the choir that recorded the Eurovision version of the Womble song with Mike Batt and appeared in the halftime video shot on the pier in my Great Uncle Bulgaria t-shirt!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Did the flag wavers whinge and whine then ask for the evening to be held again because their favourite act didn't win?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Europe is a continent.

The European Union (EU) is a political and economic union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe.
Just out of interest (genuine question) - aren't all the 28 member states located entirely in Europe? Turkey is, I think, partly in Asia, but they haven't joined (yet). Any other EU states all, or partly, outside Europe?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just out of interest (genuine question) - aren't all the 28 member states located entirely in Europe? Turkey is, I think, partly in Asia, but they haven't joined (yet). Any other EU states all, or partly, outside Europe

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If the Eurovision was a proper reflection of which countries produce the best pop music in Europe then it would be won almost every year by the British, Irish and Scandinavian countries. Europe knows this, the whole world knows this. The fact that there's a European-wide music competition every year, where we don't give a f*ck about always coming last because we regard the kind of music that is synonymous with Eurovision as a joke, should be worn as a badge of honour.

If a Romanian model yodelling vacuously to a Eurobeat or a Belorussian with an accordian duetting with a bloke dressed as a polar bear is the kind of thing that the EU flag represents and makes you a proud European eager to wave it then go for it matey.

I hate to break it to you though but you're really not selling it to the rest of us. Your most enthusiastic fans, gay blokes, are cheering ironically. That should tell you everything about what that show is.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Apparently it was the other way around - a report has shown that the lack of love for the UK at Eurovision tipped the balance in the Brexit vote. "A long tradition of rejection at Eurovision left Britons feeling like outsiders in Europe"

Isn't this rejection more to do with the fact that we always choose to enter the competition with shit songs?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Franco cheating Cliff Richard out of a deserved victory in 1968 still remains an injustice not righted.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Saying that....Sannie Carlson aka Whigfield is trying to become Denmark's entry this year. If she does, then I'll probably watch it.

be129bc7b2494182b60a213d0560b1e2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here