Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good things about Gus going

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
We may get someone who is just happy to be here and not ambitious at all. We havnt had one of those since ooh, Russell slade, Martin hinshelwood or even jeff wood.

Oh yes, the club won't do any research into their character or record or satisfy themselves that they're employing someone who intends to drive the team forward to the Premier league

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really do think these two are desperately unfair on Gus..

He was not procative with his substitutions very often

Drove me nuts when he waited for the opposition to change things before he did, or waited for us to go a goal down before changing things. That was a trait I saw very often in the whole time he was here and in my mind explains why we often struggled when winning 1-0 as well. Gus was really reluctant to make an attacking change to kill a game off when we were winning. All too often it came back to bite us in the arse.

I only mentioned two negatives, I could have listed far more positives, I'm not sniping here just keeping to the thread title of things that might be better now.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Possibly. I can't think of many ambitious, successful managers like that though. David moyes possibly. Sometimes you need to take the ups and downs of a person.

One positive though. We may see a refilm of the pre match video. And removal of the slide that shows on the screens when the club want you back in your seats. We am also really find out about the Glenn Murray situation ( I understand the club were furious when he clarified what happened pre the home game this season - this was the issue that andy naylor referred to in his comment that it almost blew up before st Patrick's day)

May I ask what exactly did Glen Murray say on the matter ?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Someone from a team like ...say Barcelona who is used to playing 4 4 2.

And a shed load of goals next season with automatic promotion?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why does the record that we were the only club in the division not to lose when going ahead get ignored by the other record of coming from behind?

I bet there were plenty of clubs that finished BELOW us that managed to turn a deficit in to a win.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We am also really find out about the Glenn Murray situation ( I understand the club were furious when he clarified what happened pre the home game this season - this was the issue that andy naylor referred to in his comment that it almost blew up before st Patrick's day)

I assume you are referring to Gus' comment that he couldn't afford to keep Murray, because there were separate budgets for transfers and wages [and hence there was money to buy CMS, but not to pay Murray's wage demands]? His comment didn't make any sense to me at the time, because even if there WERE separate budgets, it implies that CMS wages would have been less than what Murray was asking for, and I find that very, very hard to believe.

It sounded to me like Gus was trying to come up with an excuse as to why he had let a striker leave the club, join a Championship rival, and proceed to have a prolific goalscoring season, whilst Gus struggled to fit his very expensive replacement into his style of play (let alone become an effective goalscorer).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why does the record that we were the only club in the division not to lose when going ahead get ignored by the other record of coming from behind?

I.

Just being pedantic the not losing when we went in front stat only relates to last season. The not winning after going behind stretches back to the 2nd game of the season before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The good stuff about Gus going is only relevant to whom ever takes over.

The good things about Gus leaving and oohhh ahhhh Oscar taking over would be Gus leaving:-

- a settled team.
- a Spanish influenced club.
- a passing side.
- an appreciative crowd.

I don't see that many good things about Gus leaving, other than the fact he's gone, (never thought I'd ever say that) if Tim 'I'm concentrating watching Dora The Explorer' Sherwood, were to take over.

Although he's still infinitely better than Pullis/Hughes/Redknapp et al.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Someone from a team like ...say Barcelona who is used to playing 4 4 2.

And a shed load of goals next season with automatic promotion?

?? Barcelona don't play 4-4-2 (or have I missed the sarcasm?)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The next guy may be even better?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The possibility of an exciting flirtation with nether regions of the table, only for some dinosaur of a manager to come to our rescue in the final third of the season.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Signing players may not always be so complicated,
Lualua might get a run in the side,
Dunk will start with a clean slate,
Crofts might get his old form back,
JFC might get a start,
Might see some of the youth on the bench, among the 7 subs,
CMS might get his mojo back,
Barnes will have to play better more regularly to keep his shirt.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Lua Lua will play more
We may score from a corner
We may make a substitution before we concede the 1st goal
We may make a substitution in the first half
We may make a substitution before the opposition
We may get someone who puts out the best team for the important league match not the cup match a few days before just because HE wants to look good on TV
We may get someone who treats taking a penalty as a serious matter
Caskey will play more
Referees may not dislike the new managers rants
We may really try and score the first goal
We may play OUR best side and not try & counter the oppositions team
We may try harder to score a 2nd to kill the game off
We may get someone who can train & improve CMS to shoot with his left
We may get someone who recognises that a job at a club with the 12th highest ST sales in the country IS a good job

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Signing players may not always be so complicated,
Lualua might get a run in the side,
Dunk will start with a clean slate,
Crofts might get his old form back,
JFC might get a start,
Might see some of the youth on the bench, among the 7 subs,
CMS might get his mojo back,
Barnes will have to play better more regularly to keep his shirt.

At least 2 of those scenarios are down to the club doctor not the new manager.
We may have to play the youth if we don't get any new players in before the season starts.

One good thing is that we won't be getting tedious threads saying Poyet to (insert any club's name) every week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here