Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Pub Walks in Sussex

Mar 15, 2009
Brighton
I'm getting a bit bored of my same dog walks and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for good walks in Sussex that includes a pub on route that makes decent food

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm getting a bit bored of my same dog walks and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for good walks in Sussex that includes a pub on route that makes decent food
Where in Sussex?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Lewes to Glynde via Mt Caburn... The Trevor Arms awaits you in Glynde. A great walk with stunning views, not for the feint hearted as it does involve a tough climb! Takes about an hour and a half.

Once you've finished you can get the train back to Lewes if you prefer... That's what we do.

Last edited:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Did Robertsbridge, Salehurst, Bodiam (including castle) and Ewhurst the other day. The route follows the old Kent & Sussex railway and the River Rother. Several pubs on the way. It was fantastic.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Start at Amberley Railway Station, follow South Down's Way up across Bury, loop back through Houghton Woods, down through village of Houghton and back to the Bridge Inn for a pint of Harvey's. Can make it anything from a couple of miles to a nice 12 miler. Joy of using public transport if you fancy more than a swift one or don't want the hassle of driving .. job done

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Loads of choice along the South Downs Way between Brighton and Eastbourne and most are well served by public transport. Better still most are Harveys pubs and do decent food too.

North of SDW there is Kingston (The Juggs), Lewes (various), Firle (The Ram), Berwick (Cricketers), Milton Street (Sussex Ox) and Wilmington (Giants Rest).

South of SDW: Alfriston (various), Exceat (Golden Galleon), East Dean (The Tiger), Birling Gap, Eastbourne (various).

A shortish circular walk with great scenery takes in Birling Gap and East Dean with pubs and bus stops at each end!

If you are feeling adventurous try taking the train or bus to Seaford then walk to Eastbourne over the Seven Sisters. Loads of pubs enroute. With care you can wade across the Cuckmere on the beach. Normally has the prevailing wind to push you along too. A pint tastes really sweet after that walk.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Depends where you are but I regualary take summer jaunts from Eastbourne to either Alfriston or Litlington(Went on friday, the weather was fantastic, we didnt see anyone but some sheep looking nervousley at babble of rams) . Cracking pub at Litlington (The plough and Harrow) and it does beers from the brewery up the road (Long man brewery) although havent tasted them, im more a cider person. Plenty of pubs too in Alfriston but forgotten their name.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I have the book 40 Circular Pub Walks in East Sussex by Mike Power and the West Sussex one. They're both very good, and because they're old you can get them from Amazon for 1p (plus £2.77 delivery)

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Lewes Priory to the Juggs and back. Not sure if the food is good enough it include this suggestion though.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
I used to love driving to the Devil's Dyke Hotel, then walking down to the Shepherd and Dog. It sure gives your calf muscles a work-out on the way back up.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
In the past I've walked from Lancing Leisure centre along the Old Shoreham road, turning right just passed the Sussex Pad and walking across the footbridge. Then follow the footpath along the river side all the way to Upper Beeding, it's a lovely walk and The King's Head Inn is waiting for you just next to the river.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Park up at Broadfield Barton,take a leisurely stroll up to the far end,and the delights of The Imperial await.
Neck a few with the locals then pop across to Bargain Booze for a take out.
You are now ready for the twenty minute casual walk over to Bewbush.
The pub has been closed down there,but the take out now comes in to it's own.
Pitch up on one of the benches with the regular street drinkers for a slurp and a natter.
Embrace the community spirit.
Don't forget to take dog shit bags though,just incase you or one of the street gang have an accident.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Match day circular walk (level Easy) -

1. Start at the Swan at Falmer
2. Cross the road to the Stadium
3. Return to the Swan

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Here's one that takes in the Blue Ship nr Rudgwick, one of the best country pubs in WSx.

http://fancyfreewalks.org/W.Sussex-SurreyBorders/BlueShip%20PubWalk.pdf

Similarly
http://www.fancyfreewalks.org/W.Sussex-SurreyBorders/Rusper%20PubWalk2.pdf including the Lamb which has now abandoned all mainstream suppliers and stocks only local food, beer and cider

And
http://www.fancyfreewalks.org/W.Sussex-SurreyBorders/Rusper%20PubWalk1.pdf which includes the fantastic Royal Oak (not for lager drinkers
If you merge both walks you can include the pubs of Rusper making a walk of 1 1/2 hours and 4 excellent pubs.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Berwick Station is a great place to start walks to pubs with the Yew Tree at Arlington in the walk listed below. Also, the Cricketers is about half an hour walk from the station, turn right, keep walking and the Barley Mow at Selmeston a similar distance away - turn right out of the station, right again and then right again at the A27. On the same walk is the lovely Rose Cottage at Alciston where you turn left along the the A27 and then cross the road, following the signs to Alciston - food is always great at all 3 pubs.

Walk from Berwick to Arlington

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Start at Amberley Railway Station, follow South Down's Way up across Bury, loop back through Houghton Woods, down through village of Houghton and back to the Bridge Inn for a pint of Harvey's. Can make it anything from a couple of miles to a nice 12 miler. Joy of using public transport if you fancy more than a swift one or don't want the hassle of driving .. job done

That's a nice walk, actually. Mine would be nearby that, but taking in the other side of Amberley (and so popping in to The Sportsman) - then going for a loop around Rackham and back up through the woods. I'll do that walk/bike ride starting in Coldwaltham to get some extra miles out of it. Used to start from Fittleworth when i lived there, but not as easy now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here