Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good people of NSC -Building advice needed!

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I've just had a survey on a house we are currently in the process of buying. Whilst it raises no major issues it did find high damp metre readings in the kitchen, caused by the failure of the damp proof course and the high external ground levels (there is a communal passageway to the side) and stated that sub floor ventilation was inadequate - the house is mid terrace, built in 1910 so imagine that this type of thing is pretty standard.

Are there any builders or folk on here who have had similar work done? Is it expensive?

Thank you muchly..:thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You could pm sams dad. He's the local friendly NSC building expert.

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not too much to worry about. Damp proofing isn't as expensive as you'd imagine. However, it is possible that it'll make your rooms smaller if you need dry lining inside (which sounds possible with high ground outside.

Get a few quotes and ensure that you'll get a long guarantee from them. Also, check the proposals in the quotes against each other, as some may not be including for as much work. You'll (hopefully) only get it done once, so don't necessarily just go for the cheapest quote.

Not had any dealings with damp proofing for many years (thankfully), so not sure who's about doing that at present, so perhaps others might be able to offer advice. I know Jimmy Saville had some work done a couple of years ago, so might be able to give some names if you ask him nicely.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Not too much to worry about. Damp proofing isn't as expensive as you'd imagine. However, it is possible that it'll make your rooms smaller if you need dry lining inside (which sounds possible with high ground outside.

Get a few quotes and ensure that you'll get a long guarantee from them. Also, check the proposals in the quotes against each other, as some may not be including for as much work. You'll (hopefully) only get it done once, so don't necessarily just go for the cheapest quote..
I agree with all that sully says regarding the damp-proofing
As for the poor sub-floor ventilation, this is easily remedied by the insertion of a few air-bricks into the outside walls. It would be prudent to check the condition of the floor joists ( this will involve taking up a couple of floorboards) as many years of poor ventilation could have caused them to deteriorate.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Thanks fellas, its good to have some reassurance. I live in a basement flat at the moment which is tanked - the ground level at the new house must only be a matter of centimetres higher than it should be so hopefully won't be too much trouble!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I bought a big old 1930's house a few years ago and due to the condition we had a full structural survey done which ran to about 18 pages.
When I read it I was horrified at some of the things mentioned and I rang the surveyor to query a couple (one of them was inadequate ventilation uder the floor - turned out to be dry as a bone) and the surveyor said it was a lovely house and nothing to worry about but that the whole point of the survey was to mention absolutely everything that wasn't 100%. He said that if it were his house, the only thing that he would treat as mega-urgent was a small leak in the roof, the rest of it could be done as we renovated it.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
Thanks fellas, its good to have some reassurance. I live in a basement flat at the moment which is tanked - the ground level at the new house must only be a matter of centimetres higher than it should be so hopefully won't be too much trouble!

basement flat , damp problems , hhmmm if i were you ,during a bad downpour, i would be inclined to don a lifejacket

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
No damp problems in the basement flat (well lower ground floor really as it has a garden) and we have sold it.

I'll call the surveyor tomorrow for an informal chat and arrange for the builders to have a look at the house next week.

Thanks all!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here