Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good debut for Paddy at Notts County...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry I disagree with everything you have put. He flattered to decieve, sure he glides with the ball but I can honestly say even in the games we did see him, I don't remember him creating anything.

And comparing his work rate to Texeira's is comical, Tex works 50x harder than McCourt does, people need to realise the difference in defensive abilities of teams in league one and the championship is huge, CMS score absolute bucket loads at that level.

That's okay - all opinions.

However, hardly comical, Texeirra for the first half of the season did next to nothing, played well in perhaps 4 games, but in the main rarely put in a shift defensively, was easily barged off the ball and frequently chose the wrong option. Next you'll tell me Gardner was a workaholic :)

In terms of the games, I would say he provided an opportunity every time he came on - remember we are talking 15-20 minute cameo's..... Watford particularly at 3-4 times he set players up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sami thought he was good enough to include in his 18 on a matchday whereas Hughton thinks he isn't good enough for the reserves. Another panic buy on the advice of David Burke.

Under 21s though isn't it, not really reserves these days. Plus, would you play a 31 year old?

How many times has Casper played?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He certainly has talent, but was born 20 years too late. These days to perform in any of the higher leagues you also need to be a significant athlete in addition to having the talent to survive. Sadly Paddy wasn't, but he will put bums on seats in the lower leagues.

I think that is the key thing here.

He certainly created opportunities in the little time he was on the pitch but I think he is the sort of player that has to play all the time so that the others get an instinctive feel and anticipate what he was going to do next. Even from highlights, I have seen him create from free kicks and free play - there was that classic where he beat the defence and rolled it across the six yard line for someone to tap it in and there was no-one there! Had he played more, perhaps the others would have known what he was going to do and would have been there?

He was not a bad player - in some ways he is too good for us and Notts County, but because of his off field habits and his lack of tracking back, he is not one that is going to get a chance at a higher level again. Which I think is rather a shame, but it is the nature of the game nowadays.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The telling figure for McCourt is number of games started for the Albion, none. We are not that cash rich that we can afford to pay wages to a 31 year old just to be a substitute at best.

A few hit and miss cameos is not sufficient to earn a new contract, and we can spend his wages on getting better players in the summer.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Okay, Paddy divides opinion amongst us but surely such comments serve as a reminder that he is a real talent and certainly not deserving of the snidey slaggings-off he's got on here...

Has the potential to be a real talent*

Fully deserving of such slaggings off when it his own fault that said potential hasn't ever been met.*

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
Has the potential to be a real talent*

Fully deserving of such slaggings off when it his own fault that said potential hasn't ever been met.*

MAGPIE PLAYER MAN OF THE MATCH | Paddy McCourt

An excellent debut for the Northern Ireland midfielder. Playing behind the forward line of Balint Bajner and Garry Thompson, McCourt was a constant threat for the Magpies when on the ball in and around the area. A number of times, he weaved his way past defenders, being denied by Chris Neal on several occasions. He set up Garry Thompson and Jamal Campbell-Ryce a number of times too. An exciting player that has plenty to show Notts fans.

... any chance of some begrudging praise when a guy hasn't had a league start all season yet performs this well on his debut as a loanee?? Aint holding my breath of course...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He scored the winner for Notts County at Colchester last night. Surprisingly it was with his head.

"All it takes is that one turn of pace and that one cross and Paddy managed to get on the end of it. It was a cool finish and a good header but then I'm not sure Paddy knows how to do anything else and it summed up his character."

"Man of the match: Jamal Campbell-Ryce: Was pushed all the way by Paddy McCourt for the award, but Campbell-Ryce was a real menace to the U's defence all night. Created the goal too."

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
He scored the winner for Notts County at Colchester last night. Surprisingly it was with his head.

"All it takes is that one turn of pace and that one cross and Paddy managed to get on the end of it. It was a cool finish and a good header but then I'm not sure Paddy knows how to do anything else and it summed up his character."

"Man of the match: Jamal Campbell-Ryce: Was pushed all the way by Paddy McCourt for the award, but Campbell-Ryce was a real menace to the U's defence all night. Created the goal too."

The fella's finally given a place in a starting 11 and he responds by being Man of the Match in first game and match-winner in his second...great to see Paddy defy his critics and although its a shame Chris Hughton couldn't find a role for him at the Albion (would have him back here in a heartbeat myself), it'll be some consolation to this punter if Michael O'Neill responds by featuring him more in N. Ireland's Euro campaign...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here