Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good Chris Hughton interview today

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anybody who watched and listened to Chris Hughton's interview walking round the pitch, after the City game, will know he is telling the truth.
I was very surprised when I heard the next morning. He had kept us up, and got us to an FA cup semi final.

I really hope Tony's gamble pays off with Potter.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Anybody who watched and listened to Chris Hughton's interview walking round the pitch, after the City game, will know he is telling the truth.
I was very surprised when I heard the next morning. He had kept us up, and got us to an FA cup semi final.

it would have been more of a gamble to keep CH

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Did the 83 cup final have a negative impact? Answer-------------we were relegated that season, i believe it did. I think 3rd 4th maybe 5th round is ok. After that players want to be fit for cup games. Foot comes off the pedal in League, its not deliberate it just seems to happen !

This is what I think happened for the Southampton game which was the start of a run of awful home games.
Of course we will never know but I suspect if we did not have Man City to play at Wembley the next week we would not have been so poor vs Southampton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

We all know CH is an honest and decent man.
The only hint of anything otherwise has come from one poster who realised he'd back himself into a corner.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Did the 83 cup final have a negative impact? Answer-------------we were relegated that season, i believe it did. I think 3rd 4th maybe 5th round is ok. After that players want to be fit for cup games. Foot comes off the pedal in League, its not deliberate it just seems to happen !

That's a fair comment as you are stating it as your belief and not fact. I would respectfully point out that before we played Newcastle we were in the bottom 3 and I believe we remained there for the rest of the season. Some would argue, including me, that it had no effect on a club that was already destined for the drop.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We didn't. We got enough points to stay up. A point against Arsenal is worth exactly the same amount as a point against Fulham.

I would respectfully suggest that had Cardiff beaten either Fulham or Palace and we had needed a point at Arsenal then the game and approach would have been very different. As it was, there was absolutely no pressure on the manager or players and it showed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Alyson Rudd is an excellent journalist and has got some great new info there.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
A very interesting read indeed. I’m not surprised by a word of it, especially that relating to the morning after the City game.

I remain convinced we should have stuck with Chris, who had weathered (just) the dreaded second season syndrome pretty well. Yes Rafa did better, but Rafa is a world class manager where Chris is PL solid - exceptional at championship level.

Obviously I wish GP well, but i live more in hope than expectation. Chris embodied the modern ethical Albion for me, an elder statesman yet thoroughly contemporary with it. An elegant man, an honest and fair man. I was proud of the club with his hand at the helm, and as I say, he fitted like a velvet glove.

I still fear we’ve made a grave miscalculation, not the end of the world, but boy is it going to hurt all the same if my gut feeling comes to pass.

Good luck to CH, club legend and a top, top man in a game filled with abhorrent shite.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
In the main, in the UK, multi million pound business run within employment law and we were led to believe the Albion were working to these guidelines when sacking Poyet and in the future. Recent events suggest otherwise currently, so why was Hughton different?

Is the difference not that when we sacked Poyet we sacked him for breach of contract and therefore didn’t pay him any settlement fee but with Hughton we’ll have paid up his contract?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
mr. bloom did

No he didn't. He knows just as Thunder Bolt does that you can't 'know' whether it was riskier to keep Hughton or bring in Potter.

Mr Bloom believe it is in the interest of the clubs continued growth and premier league status to change managers.

Maybe he is right, maybe he is wrong, but we won't ever really 'know'. If Potter succeeds we won't know that Hughton wouldn't have been more successful; if Potter fails, we won't know if Hughton would have failed worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here