Good Beer Guide 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dandyman

In London village.
CAMRA seems to me to be an organisation whose usefulness has passed and who now are an active hindrance to the further development of a sophisticated beer market in the UK

Totally disagree unless by "sophisticated beer market" you actually mean "craft" (i.e. Keg) beer and imported European beers.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
OPEN QUESTION: What is a 'craft beer' as opposed to a 'real ale'? What defines the difference(s)?

There's no official definition of a 'craft beer'.

Recent definition according to Canadian beer writer Stephen Beaumont, co-author of the new Pocket Beer Book: "A craft brewer is someone intent on changing the status quo, rather than being content to follow the herd."

Recent definition according to English beer writer Tim Webb, co-author of the new Pocket Beer Book: "It is the opposite of industrial beer. Beer made with taste in mind rather than simplicity."

My definition (similar to above): "Any non-industrial beer made with a bit of love and affection by a brewer who gives more of a shit about flavour than profit. Although there's no reason you can't make a profit too."

Real ales are unfiltered, unpasteurised, cask-conditioned traditional British ales, made without adding nitrogen or CO2. Some people also consider similarly made bottle-conditioned ales to be 'real'.

All real ales are craft beers (even if some fans deny it). Not all craft beers are real ales.

But many many other craft beers are unfiltered, unpasteurised, etc. The reason most real alers throw their arms up in horror is that many draft craft beers are sold in kegs, and thus require some form of CO2 pressure to get them out. They seem to think this redefines them as 'dead' and destroys the flavour. Which only goes to prove they've never tasted one.

(Reminds me of an old Guinness slogan from way back: "I've never tried it because I don't like it.")

For the record I am a fan of craft beer, which means by definition I am also a fan of real ale.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That does that Brewdog take it all a bit too seriously as well for all their protestations.

I'm not sure I understand the fuss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That does that Brewdog take it all a bit too seriously as well for all their protestations.

I'm not sure I understand the fuss.

Yes and no. I do understand the fuss as I think they make some great beers.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes, the Lord Nelson and Wax FActor is part of my pre match entertainment, where do I park now there is building on the big car park? Last time couldn't stop anywhere.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
But that is typical of all Harvey's pubs, the Mitre is a dump, the one that was Harveys the other side of Lewes, even the Royal Oak in London.

I think all Harveys pubs have that "worn in" feel. It does make them feel very comfortable places to have a beer, proper old school boozers.

Though if you want a brand spanking new Harveys pub, try the Rights of Man in Lewes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As do I but I don't understand why they (or anyone else) cares whether CAMRA think it's real ale or not

I presume they want to challenge dated thinking, which is not a bad thing, and get some free column inches as well.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I had a pint in The Mitre only a month ago. There was two notable differences from the Nelson. Firstly the Harveys was exceptional, and secondly the pub did not smell like a urinal.

Just to add, and i have no idea if this pub is in the guide, and if so it should be. The Green Berry in Walmer, Deal. the best pint of Harveys or dark star I have ever had, and in dare I say it.....yes deepest, darkest, Kent.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
I had a pint in The Mitre only a month ago. There was two notable differences from the Nelson. Firstly the Harveys was exceptional, and secondly the pub did not smell like a urinal.

Just to add, and i have no idea if this pub is in the guide, and if so it should be. The Green Berry in Walmer, Deal. the best pint of Harveys or dark star I have ever had, and in dare I say it.....yes deepest, darkest, Kent.

Its apparently CAMRA East Kent Pub of the Year 2013 (and also 2011 as well) so should be a dead cert for 2014 guide.

I've been told Landlord used to live over this way once, so maybe that's why Harvey's and Dark Star are sourced?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As do I but I don't understand why they (or anyone else) cares whether CAMRA think it's real ale or not

This about sums it up really. Someone who enjoys a craft beer is more than likely to know who Camra are but I doubt they care what they think......

Just keep it coming I say.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
While it's hard to deny the positive impact of craft beers here in the States, where anything is better than the industrial p1ss-water that dominated the market for so long, given a choice between that and a great real ale, the latter wins every single time. Craft beers give me a massive hangover, can be too strong, plus I hate all that gimmicky "ooh let's make one with apple, cinnamon and pot pourri" bullsh1t. Whereas a well-served pint of a great English ale is a work of art and one of the defining things that makes Britain great. Just my HO.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I hate all that gimmicky "ooh let's make one with apple, cinnamon and pot pourri" bullsh1t.

I agree experimentation can go too far. Sometimes people try odd things that you know in advance simply aren't going to work just to grab attention.

Last year at a beer festival I sampled a beer by normally excellent Swedish brewery Närke - Bäver it was called. Flavoured with musk harvested from a beaver's back end, I kid you not*, and served from a tap in a porcelain urinal.

It was every bit as good as that sounds... Tasted like it had come from a beaver's back end and had been served through a urinal.

(*And by beaver I do mean the little furry critter with big teeth, not what some people are thinking...)

Magnus

Oct 2, 2013
BN1
For me there's no beating real ale, it's unique to these isles and is what we do best, and I can see why breweries want to get us hooked on pasteurised beer ("craft beer" if you want to use that term) as it's easier and cheaper to keep and has a longer shelf life.

But really I'm with CAMRA here, we need to guard against this threat. It's the same thing as when lager first became popular in the 70s (? before my pub going time). I fully support CAMRA's decision to bar the likes of BrewDog from GBBF and their ilk, but there's a worrying trend among the East London/Shoreditch set now for "Craft" beer and they've even set up their own rival festival.

CAMRA have done some great work over the years but the battle is not yet won. Also - as well as championing Real Ale they campaign for all beer and pub related issues, pub closures/taxation etc etc, there's no equivalent lobbyist group in the craft world. But then their pubs then to be converted warehouses rather than 12 century coaching inns
icon_neutral.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports