Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Beer Guide 2014

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
thatt's one of the main reasons I think they're a problem. They perpetuate an image that is elitist, sneering, humourless, nerdy and middle aged and therefore put off younger people and women from taking an interest in beer.

Is real ale your dad's drink ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
CAMRA undoubtedly played a very major role in reviving the near-lifeless corpse that was the British brewing industry in the 1970s, and we have a lot to thank it for.

But some of its members seem unable or unwilling to accept what is happening today in global brewing. Many of the newer British brewers are inspired by external trends and more extreme influences (mainly from the US - Brew Dog being the most prominent example), and they are giving the industry a big boost, despite the insistence from some (not all) areas of CAMRA that what they are making is not beer.

I know a few landlords and landladys who although running very successful beer festivals in their pubs would not let any CAMRA involvement within a mile of their place. Reasons ? That CAMRA are so sure that they know EVERYTHING about the game that they fail to actually notice any current trends. It's as if they are there to set the trends and not let the punters do it.
No self respecting good beer pub would not have a selection of good craft ales nowadays and that percentage of the market will increase dramatically over the next few years I suspect.
But it's not "real beer". ???

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
But it's not "real beer". ???

'Dead' beer is a term I've heard bandied about by some stick-in-the-muds, making the sweeping and thoroughly incorrect assumption that if it isn't real ale, it must obviously be pasteurised. :nono:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I think what I wrote is fine. But just for clarification this is for you In fact there is very little to attract the younger generation or non-younger generation females to CAMRA.

I am not a member of CAMRA but I do OK with the ladies (although not the younger ones)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am not a member of CAMRA but I do OK with the ladies (although not the younger ones)

only an 'OK'? Maybe a switch to craft beer would improve things? :smile:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Not really a good put down, but anyhow.

Any of these pub guides are subjective. There are places in the GBG that amaze me they get in there. The Mitre on London Road? I know it is meant to be about the beer, but really the place is a dump.
Wetherspoons in Woking used to get voted pub of the year in The News and Ale Area which covers SW Surrey and NE Hampshire ,best Pub really or The fact that the local Comitee drank there or is it the vouchers that camra members recieve from Spoons when they join Camra?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Wetherspoons in Woking used to get voted pub of the year in The News and Ale Area which covers SW Surrey and NE Hampshire ,best Pub really or The fact that the local Comitee drank there or is it the vouchers that camra members recieve from Spoons when they join Camra?

next you'll be saying the moon landings were a hoax!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

In some areas Wetherspoon's is the best place to drink - Watford and Stoke spring to mind.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I drink real ale in the UK and craft beer in the US and enjoy both. I respect CAMRA’s remit, albeit a bit dated, but it doesn’t worry me that they do not consider craft beer to be ‘proper beer’ as it is served cool and force carbonated. What craft beer has done is given Americans more choice, they are no longer limited to the industrial domestic beers like Bud, Coors and Miller – and that has to be a good thing. It is also seems to me that craft beer at the moment is more inventive and diverse in what it produces. It’s horses for courses.

Upon his first taste of Brooklyn Lager, Roger Protz wrote, "I thought it was one of the finest beers I had ever tasted, and nothing since made me change my mind." - Praise indeed from CAMRA’s Roger Protz

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
The most consistently glorious pint of Harveys in Hove is in The Coopers Cask

Obviously I am biased, but I am also correct.

Lord Nelson wins for Brighton.

and that, my beery friends, is a fact. :drink:

Absolutely spot on. But will the Cooper's be doing Old this autumn? Please god let it be so.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The most consistently glorious pint of Harveys in Hove is in The Coopers Cask

Obviously I am biased, but I am also correct.

Lord Nelson wins for Brighton.

and that, my beery friends, is a fact. :drink:

Coopers also has the distinct advantage of not being a Harveys-run hell hole.*

*With the possible exception of The Nelson, which does do a great, well-kept pint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here