Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golf Clubs - Beginner

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
To be honest graphite has had its day. Nearly all players including the pros are returning to steel. Graphite even if stiff gives a lot more whip and this can exaggerate a problem with your swing especially a learner so I would go for steel. Oversized heads are good for beginners but also do not spend loads on clubs. You will hit a ball nearly as far with virtually any make of club irrelevant of cost. Once you have perfected the game move on to better clubs:smile:

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Getting into Golf then Jacob.
Mebe :mendoza:

To be honest graphite has had its day. Nearly all players including the pros are returning to steel. Graphite even if stiff gives a lot more whip and this can exaggerate a problem with your swing especially a learner so I would go for steel. Oversized heads are good for beginners but also do not spend loads on clubs. You will hit a ball nearly as far with virtually any make of club irrelevant of cost. Once you have perfected the game move on to better clubs:smile:

Think I'll start off with the cheap ones then, cheers.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If you're going to get the onyx one's then you might as well take a trip down argos and get these for £50. At least you know what you're getting. A mate of mine bought clubs from e-bay and they were really shit quality.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&productId=1500339399&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=Onyx+ZX+Pro+Full+Starter+Package+Set

I'd check out friday-ad first if I were you. You might get lucky and get some decent beginners clubs from someone that is upgrading. I'd go along with not spending too much at first though, best to get someone to show you how to swing it properly first. I've been having lessons since may and I'm only just starting to hit it consistantly straight and in the air.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The first rule of golf clubs: You cannot talk about golf clubs.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you're going to get the onyx one's then you might as well take a trip down argos and get these for £50. At least you know what you're getting. A mate of mine bought clubs from e-bay and they were really shit quality.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&productId=1500339399&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=Onyx+ZX+Pro+Full+Starter+Package+Set

I'd check out friday-ad first if I were you. You might get lucky and get some decent beginners clubs from someone that is upgrading. I'd go along with not spending too much at first though, best to get someone to show you how to swing it properly first. I've been having lessons since may and I'm only just starting to hit it consistantly straight and in the air.

That's really good advice. The one thing I would add is when I started (22 years ago), I'm still not much better! is that a half set can be a disadavantage, I found that on the course you are not only learning to hit but learning the distances you can hit each club. That "kind of" mastered there's a big difference between a 9 and 7 iron, so you end up trying to over hit a 9 or under hit a 7, when the club you need is an 8. So my advice is if poss. is buy a cheap full set.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Simple question, I know that clubs are doing deals out of neccesity with the credit crunch etc, but why is a round of golf generally so expensive.

Hassocks is ok, good course as well

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Agree re.Graphite Vs Steel. As soon as I switched to steel my game improved dramatically. Best bet I've always found is have a nose around the club shops in the area as they always have good 2nd hand sets that someone has traded in at a decent price. Stick with these and above all get some lessons in before you go out too many times on the course and pickup a load of bad habits that take years to get rid of.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Some good advice on here. Definately go to a club pro and find a decent 2nd hand set, if you can. Phone around first though, because golf technology has improved so much in the last 10 to 15 years, that some pros dont touch older clubs simply because they cannot sell them on.

I assume you are in Brighton, but arguably the best club shop and teaching setup in that area is Michael Henning's team at Haywards Heath. They are part of a buying syndicate, so their prices are very competitive, plus you get first rate advice.

His website is http://www.michaelhenninggolfacademy.com/

(and yes, I was a member at HH for 27 years and know him very well!!)

Definately avoid graphite clubs and get some lessons. Most importantly, have fun!! :thumbsup:

And BG, rounds of golf are generally very expensive for a couple of reasons:
- to maintain a golf course in tip top condition costs a vast amount of money
- the better the course, the higher the price. You are paying for the quality of the course. Hence a round at Turnberry will be a hell of a lot more expensive than at Hassocks, for example!
- private courses dont necessarily want lots of green fees playing - just enough to get an income but not too many to actually spoil the condition of the course for the members.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You can try American Golf in Shoreham. It's next to the 'Boy' George pub by the Holmbush roundabout (on the road to Southlands Hospital). They often have several complete sets of 2nd hand clubs, plus they let you try them out in the little simulator they've got there. It's especially worth going there when they have a sale on. I got a really good bag (brand new) for £15 a few years ago. Also the staff are helpful, if you tell them you're a beginner they'll give you advice.

scooter1

How soon is now?
You can get a full set and bag from Sports Direct for about £50 - Dunlop. They're great as a starter set and the heads are over-sized. Once you decide you want to improve your game, get down to American Golf who will do you a deal on a decent set of irons and you can take it from there

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Argus has a £5 off green fees voucher today, got mine already. Means its £15 a round, less than a £1 a hole. Just need to improve on last weekends terrible outing, shooting a crap score and managing to leave my 7 iron on one of the greens :angry:

Is there a use by date on that voucher? Me and the mrs might well fancy that but she isn't quite confident enough yet.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Simple question, I know that clubs are doing deals out of neccesity with the credit crunch etc, but why is a round of golf generally so expensive.

It completely depends on when and where you go. As someone said, if you go to Hassocks, especially off peak hours or a twilight game it's not too expensive. If you go to Singing Hills on a Sat morning, of course you're going to pay qute a bit more.

I guess it's relatively expensive as it takes a lot of upkeep to maintain the course in a good condition - very frequent mowing and high drainage systems etc. - and don't forget an 18 hole round takes about 4 hours or so, so even an expensive course at say £35 a round it's only £8 an hour or so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here