Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone retail park

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I never boycotted it. Sorry :(

Nor me. What's the point of cutting off your nose to spite your face? It's not the fault of Burger King and the others. It's the fault of the Albion bad boys who sold us out and it can't be undone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nor me. What's the point of cutting off your nose to spite your face? It's not the fault of Burger King and the others. It's the fault of the Albion bad boys who sold us out and it can't be undone.
It didn't help that I lived next to it.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Over it too, probably makes me a bad fan. I don't ever really need to go there but wouldn't have any hesitations if I wanted a burger or some discount sports goods whilst in the area.

We have the Amex now and the circle of life has completed a turn.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Christ, we would have had to move out sometime. There were so many restrictions and covenants etc that we would only have got a 15k ground on the site. I quite enjoy just standing in the car park reminiscing about happier times and wondering just where in the old ground I am standing. They can build a load of crappy shops but they can't take away the memories.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It never seems to do much business, so far as I can see. It's a shabby shadow of a retail park. If only it could be bulldozed and the Amex moved there, lock, stock and barrel, then that would be the nearest thing to heaven an Albion fan could possibly experience. IMHO like.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Fortunately never had the need to go there and don't deal with any of those outlets anyway - they're all pretty crap chains and you can usually get something better elsewhere for the same money. For me it was always more important to boycott Focus as that was where Archer was getting his money. Only been past there about 3 times since it was demolished and just look straight ahead. I still find myself looking in vain for the floodlights whenever I'm on a train near Hove station though.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Still never been in and will drive around other ways when ever possible.

Will go back to see the giant bronze statue funded by Kingfisher (or who ever owns the land/buisnesses now) of Peter Ward, Tommy Cook, Mullary et al......when they finally get round to completing it.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Would never set foot in any of those shops - just couldn't bring myself to do it. Too many memories of the hallowed Goldstone.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Forget the lessons of the past and one is doomed to repeat them. I've never set foot on that land since the Donny game and I never will.

The Amex is wonderful, but we had to endure the very-near-death of our club to get it. It's a price we must always remember had to be paid, and keeping the memory of the Goldstone's demise alive is one way to remind ourselves of that fact.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Forget the lessons of the past and one is doomed to repeat them. I've never set foot on that land since the Donny game and I never will.

The Amex is wonderful, but we had to endure the very-near-death of our club to get it. It's a price we must always remember had to be paid, and keeping the memory of the Goldstone's demise alive is one way to remind ourselves of that fact.

Respect your stand point and decision but I can remember all this and still visit it if I need to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It never seems to do much business, so far as I can see. It's a shabby shadow of a retail park. If only it could be bulldozed and the Amex moved there, lock, stock and barrel, then that would be the nearest thing to heaven an Albion fan could possibly experience. IMHO like.
I'm probably asking to much, of the tech folk here.
But if you did this how much bigger is Falmer, how many houses/businesses would be engulfed.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I'm pretty sure our family still boycott it, although my uncle was store manager of Toys 'r' Us there for a good few years.
He's also an Albion fan - I might ask his for his thoughts on the matter...

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I went to Toys `R` Us and all I thought was,f***! I am on the old halfway line or in the centre circle and spent the whole morning wandering around the car park,tracing out the North Stand and boring my family to death by going on and on about which part of the pitch we were on.To tell the truth it was quite emotional going back there.Mixed feelings,if we hadn`t left would we still have our lovely,shiny new stadium?

lol, I have done the exact same thing. My Mrs goes in to Toys r us and sometimes JJB, I managed to avoid until they started work at Falmer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm probably asking to much, of the tech folk here.
But if you did this how much bigger is Falmer, how many houses/businesses would be engulfed.

IRRC, Falmer is considerably smaller.

are u sure....?

Entirely, yes.

images

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't live in Brighton anymore so it's not so much of an issue.

Given the opportunity I still wouldn't go in. Far to many good people died having never been to the Amex, my Nan included. She came so so close, the Donny game for me was part of the grieving process.

If I have kids some day myself then I'll maybe reconsider but right now it doesn't feel right.

I've seen the site just once since 1997 - and that was only because I was driving the minibus that picked up Peter Ward and co for the sponsored bike ride from the Goldstone to the Amex, via the Priestfield and Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here