Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

goldstone northstand

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I remember singing that in The Propellor in Palace land. I think it was after THAT Chesterfield game, when West Ham put in our windows at Scratchwood Services (on the way to the game!)

Can't say I know you guys but I think I know the pub you mean. The one right on the A23 in Purley area? If so, that was real nasty boozer in them days. One punter drove his car through the doors and into the saloon bar after being barred!

Merseyside Seagull

Dec 18, 2003
Wirral
As I remember (from the early 80's), there were 4 or 5 who got the singing going, Lester, two brothers in denim jackets, Johnny Saul (?), and a skin hed with loads of spots!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Loads of people used to get the singing going because you were always with a group of mates & all standing, usually straight from the pub, (Cliftonville or William Tell were my usual).

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Loads of people used to get the singing going because you were always with a group of mates & all standing, usually straight from the pub, (Cliftonville or William Tell were my usual).

sssshhhh don't tell the health and safety council workers. Surely you all were hurt in a nasty crush or something? How wrong to stand at a football match and you were allowed to have a beer and enjoy yourself. I dunno what next?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
sssshhhh don't tell the health and safety council workers. Surely you all were hurt in a nasty crush or something? How wrong to stand at a football match and you were allowed to have a beer and enjoy yourself. I dunno what next?

Feel sorry for the young uns these days. They will never experience anything like it.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Feel sorry for the young uns these days. They will never experience anything like it.

I know mate its all gullys girls and an irritating announcer these days. Used to love the terraces, but someone at the council / in gov always think they know what is best for you and me without asking us

captain nobby

Feb 2, 2009
totally agree unless you stood in that north stand you will never no what real atmousphere at a match was like

captain nobby

Feb 2, 2009
wish my boy could have experienced football then when itell him about it im sure he thinks im having him on

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I remember Chopper West.

An almost legendarily fearsome north stand monster.

Like Keyser Soze. Only scarier.

:hammer:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Mouth of the South

Anybody remember Mouth of the South as we knew him.

His name was Phil and I can recall him leading the singing at Halifax in particular in the open end. Must have been the early 70's and he had the loudest voice hence the nickname.

I see him these days walking around Brighton & Hove muttering to himself, dressed very tramp-like and picking up trash from the street especially cans for some reason and depositing them in rubbish bins.

Very sad.........

Ground hopping

STARTED IN THE CHICKEN RUN EARLY 70'S FROM 71/72 BACK OF THE NORTH STAND. THEN FROM 76/77 HAD A BIG GROUP BEHIND SOUTH GOAL,HAYWARDS HEATH,LANCING AND WORTHING LADS THEN ENDED UP IN THE NORTH WEST AROUND 85/86 THEN BACK IN THE NORTH 90'S. WOULD SWAP FALMER FOR THE 70'S GOLDSTONE BUT BY 97 IT NEEDED SORTING!:thumbsup:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
there were some wierd and wonderfull charectors around late 70s mid 80s the strangest for me was a lad called snake, probably a little older than myself but bumped into him a few times in the north stand and at away matches he always wore those dexys midnight runners dungerees,total mental case, made mad dog of millwall look like puppy dog,im sure theres a few on here that would have known him,i know he joined the army around the time of the falklands war and that was the last i ever heard or saw of the snake.there was toof from the eclipse that wore the yellow southwester mac all the time and swore it was armani :lolol: ,since the goldstones demise the clubs home support have splintered and dispersed and over time faded,from time to time you will see the odd face in the crowd you recognise from days gone by but in the main the north stand camaraderie has long since gone. God willing those around in those days have managed to keep thier kids interested in the club and we can fill our new stadium and perhaps the old northstand songs will be heard once again .

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
That one that went "go leeft, go left right leeeft" was REALLY f***ing embarrassing.
The worst chant ever, in my opinion.

Actually, I thought it was one of the best, and I enjoyed leading it and everyone having a bubble - what was your problem with it? Were you too thick to learn all the verses?

Oh, and for the record, JH refered to above now supports Millwall, or at least he did when I last saw him a few years ago with his brother.

Actually, I thought it was one of the best, and I enjoyed leading it and everyone having a bubble - what was your problem with it? Were you too thick to learn all the verses?

Oh, and for the record, JH refered to above now supports Millwall, or at least he did when I last saw him a few years ago with his brother.

So, are you saying you are filled with respect for this JH, who pissed where he stood and has apparently changed allegiance from one club to another?

I liked a lot of the songs and especially the 'instant' stuff that was about stuff on the pitch - but "go left right left" - I just didn't like it.
As for the "too thick" question - that's coming from you, so I'll just laugh at that one.
Do you get composing credits?

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
STARTED IN THE CHICKEN RUN EARLY 70'S FROM 71/72 BACK OF THE NORTH STAND. THEN FROM 76/77 HAD A BIG GROUP BEHIND SOUTH GOAL,HAYWARDS HEATH,LANCING AND WORTHING LADS THEN ENDED UP IN THE NORTH WEST AROUND 85/86 THEN BACK IN THE NORTH 90'S. WOULD SWAP FALMER FOR THE 70'S GOLDSTONE BUT BY 97 IT NEEDED SORTING!:thumbsup:

O the days of old eh! Always a good group of us from H Heath station, Deano, Geoff, DJ, The Farrance, Mick Mac, and all...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So, are you saying you are filled with respect for this JH, who pissed where he stood and has apparently changed allegiance from one club to another?

JH pissing in the North Stand only ever happened one to my knowledge, cannot remember who it was against, but we had all been drinking and it was so packed it was almost impossible to get to the toilets.

As for being "filled with respect" - where did that cme from? He was one of my best mates, simple as that.

Oh, and as for changing teams, that was a bit of a problem with him. I guess the only team he had any real liking for was Rangers, as that is who his parents supported?

When we first started going to football, he supported Man Utd, then used to go to Chelsea and BHA with me, then moved up to London near Waterloo and told me he was going to watch Millwall now.

I guess you didn't like the cellary or the blow-up fyfe bananas either? Are you one of the c unts who go to Withdean moaning about fans having fun?

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
I remember the one in the 70s who used to get excited with 'over there, over there.......and do they smell ...... like f------ hell .....

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Were you the lads who sang Catweazle at the old bill with the funny beard who used to be at almost every game - or so it seemed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here