Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1990/91

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Probably my best season watching many years of the Albion, unexpected sucsessful season and a great trip to the wall.Great memorys and happy happy days.
Where Codnor scored and peeled away doing the shakes! Barmy barmy summers night. Brian Moore did the commentary on TV that night. Must have watched a hundred times as John Robinson netted also to take us through 2-1 at the old Den. The footballing world were astonished we beat Millwall, even I was. Brilliant first leg on Sunday morning down at a packed Goldstone. Their fans were absolute nutters, still in their heyday and rightly feared!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I ran on the pitch as well when we scored. I thought, "What am I doing? I'm 33 years old and I'm running on the pitch like a bleedin' teenager. Ah well. FUGGIN BRILLIANT DEANO YOU BEAUTY!!!"

EDIT: I'm referring to the last game against Ipswich. I didn't run on the pitch EVERY time we scored; that would have been silly.
Don't worry about it, everyone did that day! Digweed saved from Kiwomya, like Hutch in Escape to Victory! Epic Epic match only marred by the injury to Johnny Bryne which would cost us at Wembley. Great memories.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Where Codnor scored and peeled away doing the shakes! Barmy barmy summers night. Brian Moore did the commentary on TV that night. Must have watched a hundred times as John Robinson netted also to take us through 2-1 at the old Den. The footballing world were astonished we beat Millwall, even I was. Brilliant first leg on Sunday morning down at a packed Goldstone. Their fans were absolute nutters, still in their heyday and rightly feared!

A small group in the North Stand as I recall ... cordoned off by Police after they made themselves known.

The return Old Den game was epic for numerous reasons. Netting around the away section to stop the missiles getting through, Millwall fans playing keepy uppy with a Policeman's helmet, fighting and numerous fires being lit. :cool:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not at the Goldstone, but I did manage to take in the away match with Bristol Rovers that season. That was in Bath, and I spent ages driving round that ruddy city trying to find Twerton Park. Eventually succeeded, well into the first half, and woke up some doxy misery in the only turnstyle I could find still open. "How's it going - what's the score?" I asked in a cheerful and friendly manner. "We've just scored" was the reply (imagine Blakey, from 'On he Buses', in a bad mood and sulking).

So, I made my way o to the terraces, and we scored an 'equaliser'. Then we got a penalty, and the Rovers keeper was sent off - Codner's penalty kick hit the replacement GK's legs and rebounded almost to the half way line. Eventually we scored a 'winner', and I then spent the rest of the match on tenterhooks, hoping against hope we could hold on for the win. The whistle blew. Sigh of relief.

Back to the car, Sports Report on the radio.........."Bristol Rovers 1 Brighton 3". Three? Yes, the miserable old ******* on the gate hadn't told me that we'd scored early on, and that the Rovers goal was only an equaliser, so I spent the last twenty minutes with my buttock cheeks clenched in abject apprehension as we held on to our '2-1' lead, where I should have been relaxing, enjoying us seeing out a match with a two goal cushion.

Come to think of it, never had a good experience against either of the Brizzle clubs, until bonfire night this year and watching with sheer bliss as Sidwell on the half way line thought 'bollox to pissing around passing it 5 yards sideways or back!' Pure hoofball, of course, but.............................................

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
A classic season. Like others, probably one of my favourites ever.

The three games - Ipswich, Millwall, Millwall - are as fresh in my memory as yesterday.

Shame the day at Wembley was ruined by a ginger twit and a corner that wasn't even a ****ing corner.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A classic season. Like others, probably one of my favourites ever.

The three games - Ipswich, Millwall, Millwall - are as fresh in my memory as yesterday.

Shame the day at Wembley was ruined by a ginger twit and a corner that wasn't even a ****ing corner.

100% spot on. Never ever EVER a corner.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The really funny thing is that at that very moment Barnsley's PA announcer was busy telling the Oakwell crowd that they had qualified for the play-offs, thinking the game at the Goldstone has finished 1-1. Wendy's free-kick knocked them out of the frame and put us back in. Talk about egg on your face.
I was travelling through Yorkshire on a train about 15 years ago and there were a bunch of Barnsley fans talking about that day and how much they hated Brighton because of it. I said nothing, but it was very nice to hear how they were still cut up about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here