Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1984/85

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I vaguely recall playing away at 'Boro just before the end of the season. One of their players had a very soft lofted shot that Graham Moseley plucked out from under the crossbar with ease, was about to kick it upfield, when the linesman waved his flag, the ref went over, and then awarded a goal as the lino claimed the ball had gone over the line, even though no one appealed for it.

We lost 2-1.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Don't remember the Persil train vouchers, but I do remember that ICF documentary. If memory serves me right, it did show them all piling onto a train at St Pancras for a Sheffield Wednesday away game. However, and I may be wrong, I seem to remember that documentary being aired around 1985 or 1986, which would have been later than this. Incidentally, how come I (or perhaps 'we') can recall all this stuff when I have trouble remembering what I did last week?

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Yep, I remember that Middlesbrough away game as well. Cattlin went berserk and was sent to the stands. The six points Boro took off us ultimately cost us promotion. They only won something like 10 games all season, and two of them were against the Albion. If we'd won one of those, we'd have gone up.

Jan 30, 2008
Don't remember the Persil train vouchers, but I do remember that ICF documentary. If memory serves me right, it did show them all piling onto a train at St Pancras for a Sheffield Wednesday away game. However, and I may be wrong, I seem to remember that documentary being aired around 1985 or 1986, which would have been later than this. Incidentally, how come I (or perhaps 'we') can recall all this stuff when I have trouble remembering what I did last week?
you always remember the good times:cool:
regards
DR

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/inigo-calderon-brighton-hove-albion-3369714.aspx

I’m not sure when, and I’m not sure what role it will be, but one day I will come ‘home’. The club is a part of me, the fans are a part of me and the city is part of me.

“I’m still in contact with the club and I must admit that when I see pictures of the players or the training ground, I do miss it. It’s good to see the team pushing for promotion again and hopefully we can go one better than last season.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-hove-albion-3369714.aspx#qymIiGQjZuZJ2so0.99
- Inigo (in Seagull tonight)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not sure what year but against Crystal Palace parked north side of bridge near station. When I returned after game not only was there trouble near car but 4 people on roof. Returned to car half hour later and not a mark on it.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
I think that could easily apply to any year between about 1976 and 1987. Mind you, all the worst cases of violence that I remember from those years involve matches against clubs other than Palace; Spurs in 77/78, Chelsea at the Goldstone in 83/84, Sheffield Utd at the Goldstone in 84/85, and so on.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I vaguely recall playing away at 'Boro just before the end of the season. One of their players had a very soft lofted shot that Graham Moseley plucked out from under the crossbar with ease, was about to kick it upfield, when the linesman waved his flag, the ref went over, and then awarded a goal as the lino claimed the ball had gone over the line, even though no one appealed for it.

We lost 2-1.

I went BALLISTIC

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They did 12th May 1984 last game in Division 1 v Stoke ,Saturday 23 August 1986 first game v Cambridge in Div 4 . I wonder how Wolves finished that 86 /87 Season:laugh::laugh:

:lolol: I've just taken a look.... Interesting that they beat Shots both home and away in the main season.

I remember a Wolves fan falling through the roof at Scarborough on the opening day of the 87/88 season. Rather symbolic.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
:lolol: I've just taken a look.... Interesting that they beat Shots both home and away in the main season.

I remember a Wolves fan falling through the roof at Scarborough on the opening day of the 87/88 season. Rather symbolic.

Yep we lost at Molineux in the February 3 0 in front of just over 3000 ,some 3 months later some 15000 extra home fans turned out. Oh we also beat Bolton in the Semis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here