Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1976/77

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
76/77 was probably my most consistent year of going to the Goldstone at the tender age of 13/14. Great season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Until 76/77 the one significant highlight for this young Albion fan had been the 71/72 promotion season when an unfashionable and previously rather average Third Division side, sitting somewhat below the radar suddenly became contenders.The first conspicuous success that I'd witnessed since my first game in '66 (50th anniversary next week.....). Especially pleasing to see the core from my first Archie Macaulay Albion side (complimented by some shrewd signings Irvine, Beamish etc) achieve something rather special in our history. Yes there was little old Albion appearing in a TV game, goal of the season etc and some very decent crowds at the Goldstone, culminating in that near 35k lock out for the final game. However the mists of time now make 71/72 look all rather tame - and especially compared to 76/77.

1976/77 was the start of something very special. A real sense of gathering momentum, the feeling of anticipation - the games couldn't come soon enough. Our form in the league - and in the cup run against first Division sides suggested we were the real deal. We had complete faith in the Bamber / Mullery axis. Above all The Albion were easy on the eye, prolific goalscorers, especially at home with Mellor / Ward in their pomp. No coincidence that Peter Ward was the catalyst, the opposition often found him unplayable and capable of making decent defenders look complete mugs. No wonder the crowds were huge, you knew you were going to be entertained.

I think many followers still use the quality of play from that era as the yardstick for our recent success. IMHO as skilled ball players probably only Knockaert and Vicente created a similar 'aura'. However Ward will always eclipse them for his prolific goal scoring. The mind boggles at what he might achieve in a current Albion side, on decent pitches and with stricter Refereeing. Ho hum...

The following two seasons weren't too shabby either. Right up there in my favourite seasons of all time. Yes there have been other successes - particularly those in adversity that felt sweet, but for pure footballing memories the '76 to '79 era was consistently epic - and often felt like a non-stop party.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
until 76/77 the one significant highlight for this young albion fan had been the 71/72 promotion season when an unfashionable and previously rather average third division side, sitting somewhat below the radar suddenly became contenders.the first conspicuous success that i'd witnessed since my first game in '66 (50th anniversary next week.....). Especially pleasing to see the core from my first archie macaulay albion side (complimented by some shrewd signings irvine, beamish etc) achieve something rather special in our history. Yes there was little old albion appearing in a tv game, goal of the season etc and some very decent crowds at the goldstone, culminating in that near 35k lock out for the final game. However the mists of time now make 71/72 look all rather tame - and especially compared to 76/77.

1976/77 was the start of something very special. A real sense of gathering momentum, the feeling of anticipation - the games couldn't come soon enough. Our form in the league - and in the cup run against first division sides suggested we were the real deal. We had complete faith in the bamber / mullery axis. Above all the albion were easy on the eye, prolific goalscorers, especially at home with mellor / ward in their pomp. No coincidence that peter ward was the catalyst, the opposition often found him unplayable and capable of making decent defenders look complete mugs. No wonder the crowds were huge, you knew you were going to be entertained.

I think many followers still use the quality of play from that era as the yardstick for our recent success. Imho as skilled ball players probably only knockaert and vicente created a similar 'aura'. However ward will always eclipse them for his prolific goal scoring. The mind boggles at what he might achieve in a current albion side, on decent pitches and with stricter refereeing. Ho hum...

The following two seasons weren't too shabby either. Right up there in my favourite seasons of all time. Yes there have been other successes - particularly those in adversity that felt sweet, but for pure footballing memories the '76 to '79 era was consistently epic - and often felt like a non-stop party.

all of that

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
I think that's a beautiful contribution to this thread, Seagull Over Canaryland, and you might be pleased to hear that 1971/72 will be our season of choice for the Aston Villa game.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
My debut season. My first ever game was the 2-0 home defeat by Wrexham, our only home league defeat that season, I think.

My elder brother took me, and I remember him going to Unwins (or was it Viccy Wine?) in Sackville Road and then clanking up to the ground with a carrier bag full of light ales, which he demolished during the game.

It was another 5 and half years before I went again (I know, shameful) and that too was a home defeat, 0-1 to Ipswich. I should have known then .....

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
At the start of this incredible series of seasons, I was 16 years old, and free from all the outside influences that come to affect your football-watching time in later life. This meant I could go to most of the games and in 77/78 and 78/79, the vast majority of the away games as well.

It really was an unbelievable time to be watching Albion play. Our team had the stars, like Ward & Lawrenson, but the reason they were so effective, was that they dovetailed perfectly into the TEAM. We had unsung heroes right the way through and promotion in 1979 was the fully-deserved end product of that togetherness. Off the pitch it was brilliant as well. The crowds grew steadily and the atmosphere on the Seagull Special trains was fantastic.

They remain my favourite period of watching Albion, mainly because I was there all the time.

Eight of the 21 30,000+ crowds at The Goldstone were in the period from August '76 to May '79, with another one in February '76

Our home League Record in that period:

76/77 P23 W19 D3 L1 F63 A14
77/78 P21 W15 D5 L1 F50 A19
78/79 P21 W16 D3 L2 F44 A11

Out of 65 home league games, we won FIFTY of them.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Graham Moseley.

Beating Portsmouth at home 4-0 who had Steve Foster playing.

A question for the Albion geeks: Which latter day Sky pundit featured in midfield for the hapless Pompey team in that thrashing? I recall him being very ordinary that night and subsequently never quite understanding how he managed such an enduring professional career. Typical of journeymen footballers from that era I suppose.

Some might say that about his TV career too.....but at least he's quite self deprecating these days.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Until 76/77 the one significant highlight for this young Albion fan had been the 71/72 promotion season when an unfashionable and previously rather average Third Division side, sitting somewhat below the radar suddenly became contenders.The first conspicuous success that I'd witnessed since my first game in '66 (50th anniversary next week.....). Especially pleasing to see the core from my first Archie Macaulay Albion side (complimented by some shrewd signings Irvine, Beamish etc) achieve something rather special in our history. Yes there was little old Albion appearing in a TV game, goal of the season etc and some very decent crowds at the Goldstone, culminating in that near 35k lock out for the final game. However the mists of time now make 71/72 look all rather tame - and especially compared to 76/77.

1976/77 was the start of something very special. A real sense of gathering momentum, the feeling of anticipation - the games couldn't come soon enough. Our form in the league - and in the cup run against first Division sides suggested we were the real deal. We had complete faith in the Bamber / Mullery axis. Above all The Albion were easy on the eye, prolific goalscorers, especially at home with Mellor / Ward in their pomp. No coincidence that Peter Ward was the catalyst, the opposition often found him unplayable and capable of making decent defenders look complete mugs. No wonder the crowds were huge, you knew you were going to be entertained.

I think many followers still use the quality of play from that era as the yardstick for our recent success. IMHO as skilled ball players probably only Knockaert and Vicente created a similar 'aura'. However Ward will always eclipse them for his prolific goal scoring. The mind boggles at what he might achieve in a current Albion side, on decent pitches and with stricter Refereeing. Ho hum...

Could hardly sum it up better. 71/72 was my 1st promotion and that makes it so special but 76/77 we seemed a bigger club, we had so many leaders in the team and the belief was there. Also worth a mention that the race was between 4 teams, Wrexham being the other. Considered by many to be the best footballing team, they faded with quite a lot of fixture congestion.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Muddy pitches, proper tackles! (anyone remember The Tank!? ) short shorts, heavy footballs, paper season tickets with a free cup voucher!, no SKY TV, The Big Match (Brian Moore :bowdown: ) and Match of the Day in colour! Proper football!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Muddy pitches, proper tackles! (anyone remember The Tank!? ) short shorts, heavy footballs, paper season tickets with a free cup voucher!, no SKY TV, The Big Match (Brian Moore :bowdown: ) and Match of the Day in colour! Proper football!

You missed out the urinal in the chicken run/north stand
I'm sure it had an asbestos roof fffffsake :wink:I

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
You missed out the urinal in the chicken run/north stand
I'm sure it had an asbestos roof fffffsake :wink:I

:lol: Indeed!

Whilst I'm here Referees and linesmen wore black and white and Ron Challis was the equivalent of today's M ike Dean :angry:

Not one person in the crowd had a mobile phone to distract them from the football! :lol: We all rushed home to check Ceefax for the final scores or waited for the classified >>EVENING>> Argus to be printed and rushed to the newsagents for the results and a match report from John Vinicombe!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
:lol: Indeed!

Whilst I'm here Referees and linesmen wore black and white and Ron Challis was the equivalent of today's M ike Dean :angry:

Not one person in the crowd had a mobile phone to distract them from the football! :lol: We all rushed home to check Ceefax for the final scores or waited for the classified >>EVENING>> Argus to be printed and rushed to the newsagents for the results and a match report from John Vinicombe!

This----you have to be as old as me---60:ohmy:

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Ron Challis = Mike Dean. I like that!

Tank, aka Paul Clark, came slightly after 76/77. He did a 'tackle' on Glenn Hoddle in the early stages of our 3-1 win over Spurs during the 77/78 season that basically won us the game. Put Hoddle in his place, upset their rhythm, laid the foundations for us to record a famous victory. A very underrated player, and a nice guy. Doesn't look much different today than he did back then either!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here