Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going up market in HH

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
At least I can still point at the items to the shop staff and ask how much they are.

Then repeat the process, scratching my chin.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
No the Perrymount off Commercial Square, cattle market is where I think is now a big Supermarket possibly the Sainsburys, bottom of Harlands Road, left in 1970!
There used to be an open market there too, I remember my my mum taking us as a kid, on a Sunday I think as not to clash with the burgess hill one which is where waitrose is now.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
No it isn't not at all. It thinks it is . Everyone in Haywards Heath has one ambition. To live Brighton. I have done four stints there . First job Bain Hogg 1989- 1990 the best of days sent up to be a claims broker from 1990 - 1995. RBI/Quadrent 1997 -1998 not so good. PWC 1999-2000 then back to the city until...... 2012 - 2014 1st Central mmmmm

Lived in Brighton and Hove 30 years man and boy. I have lived in Haywards Heath for the last 8 years and have absolutely no ambition to return.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
It is the blandest most soul destroying place in sussex. Full of people walking around like zombies off their heads on depression. I would rather live in .... Burgess Hill. At least that has a bit of an edge to it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No it isn't not at all. It thinks it is . Everyone in Haywards Heath has one ambition. To live Brighton. I have done four stints there . First job Bain Hogg 1989- 1990 the best of days sent up to be a claims broker from 1990 - 1995. RBI/Quadrent 1997 -1998 not so good. PWC 1999-2000 then back to the city until...... 2012 - 2014 1st Central mmmmm

Haha. Lived in Brighton for 5 years or so, live in HH now, with 10 years in London sandwiched in the middle. No desire to live in Brighton whatsoever, after living in London it just seems very small-time, and far, far inferior to London.

I don't mind HH, it's a nice place to bring up kids, got a couple of good parks, it's safe, good transport links etc. Sure it's not the most exciting place in the world, and it's not exactly awash with culture, but it is surrounded by some of the nicest parts of Sussex, and has everything you need within a short drive away.

Every time I go to Brighton now I notice how dirty it is, and how there seems to be more and more 'alternative' wankers and chavs by the day. It's got character and I loved every minute living there, but I can see why lots of people from elsewhere think the place is a dump.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Flanders and Swan wrote a song about it.
It's a commuter town like Maidstone, Guildford, Chelmsford and Hemel Hempstead. Most people in the south east live where they don't want to. HH has never recovered from losing the livestock market.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I remember the perrymount, closed about 1970'ish never knew about any other one.

I think he might be referring to the a small theatre that was in the last industrial unit in Burrell Rd. The Perrymount was the only cinema I went to but before that it had one at the top of Perrymount Rd just where the last office block is (used to be Hampton's Furniture also).

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes I can picture that now, I was a cub in the hall behind that next to the railway, now where is my toggle...

I think he might be referring to the a small theatre that was in the last industrial unit in Burrell Rd. The Perrymount was the only cinema I went to but before that it had one at the top of Perrymount Rd just where the last office block is (used to be Hampton's Furniture also).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Haha. Lived in Brighton for 5 years or so, live in HH now, with 10 years in London sandwiched in the middle. No desire to live in Brighton whatsoever, after living in London it just seems very small-time, and far, far inferior to London.

I don't mind HH, it's a nice place to bring up kids, got a couple of good parks, it's safe, good transport links etc. Sure it's not the most exciting place in the world, and it's not exactly awash with culture, but it is surrounded by some of the nicest parts of Sussex, and has everything you need within a short drive away.

Every time I go to Brighton now I notice how dirty it is, and how there seems to be more and more 'alternative' wankers and chavs by the day. It's got character and I loved every minute living there, but I can see why lots of people from elsewhere think the place is a dump.

Yeap its called growing up. It was cool and cheap when you were young, now its expensive and overrated

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Absolutely that. I grew up in HH and lived there until I was 28. As with anywhere, you have to go and find where the excitement is when you are teenager etc, but there is not much wrong with the place really. It has expanded a lot though since I have been here I must say, but I visited there in 2012 and nothing else much had changed really, just different shops and restaurants etc.

As with most places, it used to have various facilities that sadly were not supported as well as they could be, but I remember going to the Cinema when I was very young and my Mum would often take me to the Cattle market for something different to do. There are many worse places to be brought up in. Am still very fond of HH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here