Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Going too early?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I actually agree with the article and was one of only a few on here who wasn't bothered whether we did sign a striker.

But it clearly is too early for this type of article and is actually just Naylor having one of his subtle digs at the fans again as he so loves to do.
Pretty much.

(Especially the second bit)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The "see - they didn't need to buy another striker" is the point I feel it's a bit too soon to be making a call on.

(I didn't really get that across very well in the opening post)

Yep. This view doesn't bear up to scrutiny if a couple of injuries to key players crop up.

I've said it before, but we are gambling on Maupay's exemplary injury record.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Athletic emailed me (and possibly you) the below, which is the start of an article that sits behind their paywall...

Multifaceted Brighton making a mockery of perceived No 9 weakness

Brighton’s flying start to the season is confounding the critics who insist they needed to splash out on a striker in the transfer window.

It’s still early days but the way Graham Potter is using the players at his disposal has been handsomely rewarded by three wins from his team’s opening four matches.

The unprecedented nature of the club’s eye-catching launch to their fifth campaign in the Premier League is highlighted by one outstanding statistic — they already have nine points following Saturday’s 1-0 victory away to Brentford and they’ve never had more than nine points after eight games in any of their four previous seasons in the top flight.​

Whilst I'm absolutely delighted with our start, isn't it a wee bit early for such triumphalism?

Yes, a bit too early.

However, if - massive if - we somehow manage to beat Leicester, I'll start to believe the hype and be very excited for the following 3 games - Palace, Arsenal, Norwich.

The potential for a VERY strong start to the season here.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Teams that have 12+ points from their first 10 games - now pretty likely - are 95% likely to stay up. So whilst far too early to judge the striker strategy (ie: no incoming hence locadia + existing 3 + improvements + goals from midfield ) - don’t underestimate how massive the 3 wins are…

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The reality is that we had to get off to a good start, given the favourable fixtures. We have done so far and long may it continue, we need to rack up as many points as we can, as early as we can. It breeds confidence and relaxes everyone when you're not scrapping for the occasional point here and there. Winning is a habit, but so is not winning.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll start by saying yes of course I'm EXTREMELY happy with our flying start and with the league table ...

But ...

I'd be happier if the nine points had been against Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool. Or even say, Spurs, Everton and Villa. The fixtures computer was kind to us, and yes we've taken full advantage, and yes we didn't do too well against the bottom clubs last season - but we're only one point ahead of where we 'expect' to be. It's all relative.
I can't honestly say I expected us to win 3 out of our first 4 games regardless of opposition, because taking expected results in isolation is rarely how it works out. Last year we didn't win a game against the bottom 4, yet beat Man City, drew with Chelsea, beat Liverpool and so on. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us lose to Norwich, nick a point at home to Man City, beat Liverpool and get absolutely battered at home by Arsenal.

I'm not 100% convinced we need a striker all the while our xG is better than our opponents in most games and while our goals are shared out in a ratio you might expect (we've scored 5 this season, 2 by forwards, 2 by midfields and 1 by a defender). And before anyone mocks the whole xG thing, last season it was an excellent indicator of how good a team was across the Premier League, it was just that unfortunately we were the exception that proves the rule. If this season is anything to go by, it's somebody else's turn to act as the outlier.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Athletic emailed me (and possibly you) the below, which is the start of an article that sits behind their paywall...

Brighton’s flying start to the season is confounding the critics who insist they needed to splash out on a striker in the transfer window.

It’s still early days but the way Graham Potter is using the players at his disposal has been handsomely rewarded by three wins from his team’s opening four matches.

The unprecedented nature of the club’s eye-catching launch to their fifth campaign in the Premier League is highlighted by one outstanding statistic — they already have nine points following Saturday’s 1-0 victory away to Brentford and they’ve never had more than nine points after eight games in any of their four previous seasons in the top flight.​

Whilst I'm absolutely delighted with our start, isn't it a wee bit early for such triumphalism?

I don't really see the issue. The fact that 'making' is in the headline and present tense such as '...is confounding...' 'It's still early days but...' is used in the copy shows that it's reacting to the current situation. Down the line, we could be two strikers light and on a massive goal drought and they'll be 'Brighton should've bought a striker' story. Neither one is wrong, just reacting to current situations.

On a slightly related note, I don't agree – nor get – the theory that Naylor likes to slag off the fans. I really don't think he'd be that bothered about them/us :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im well pleased we've got points on the board so early. the premise this means we dont need another striker is grossly premature, we need to be beating the teams we have to stand a hope of staying up. hopefully the midfield will score many and we'll be less reliant on our one striker. lets see how we're doing 10 games in, or at Christmas before declaring the transfer dealing a success.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

It's just Naylor wanting to drop a smug-as-you-like 'told-you-so' cringefest.

I can't see why people don't warm to him :wozza:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The piece does contain this fantastic Graham Potter quote

"There's not a centre forward supermarket that you can just go and pick one from. My job is to work with the ones we have"

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think we can all agree that the table doesnt really take shape until say end of October, but there is always a surprise package. Hopefully, that is us.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Last season we were conceding in the last minute and failed to beat any of the bottom three.
This season so far we have scored a last minute winner and beaten our so called relegation rivals.
As some say there is a long way to go yet but enjoy the nose bleed whilst you can

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
get absolutely battered at home by Arsenal.

I totally get what you're saying but I just can't see this. If anything it's the game I'm most confident about. Arsenal's defence is LIGHTYEARS behind ours atm. I genuinely think it'll be a comfortable win.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I actually agree with the article and was one of only a few on here who wasn't bothered whether we did sign a striker.

But it clearly is too early for this type of article and is actually just Naylor having one of his subtle digs at the fans again as he so loves to do.
This

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I totally get what you're saying but I just can't see this. If anything it's the game I'm most confident about. Arsenal's defence is LIGHTYEARS behind ours atm. I genuinely think it'll be a comfortable win.

Yeh, but their attack is similarly better than ours. 50/50 game at our place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here