Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Going to the Amex with boisterous kids

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
So I am now at the point in life where my lad loves the Albion as much as I do, and it's all happened organically; I manage his under 8s team which is full of City/Chelsea/Arsenal/United/Spurs fans up here in the footballing hotbed of West Berkshire. My Liverpool-supporting dad & Spurs supporting brother-in-law have tried to influence him and he has shrugged it all off to stick with the Albion, which, needless to say, is absolutely lovely stuff.

He has been to the Amex with me twice this season after we went to the Reading pre-season game together and he started getting the bug. He absolutely loves it and gets pissy with me for ages when I go to games without him now, so I'm planning on getting us season tickets for next season if it's possible.

I am bringing him down for the Bournemouth game on Sat. He has been banging on about it for weeks now, counting down the days literally every morning with his Albion shirt and Sanchez-marked Spain flag ready at the foot of his bed. We both like to go in the North Stand where we can stand up and get a bit boisterous, but last time I bought him down for the Leicester 5-2 game (the game that really got him hooked), I got a load of shit from the stewards for standing him up on an empty chair next to us and they eventually forced us to move to seats in the corner and threatened to boot us out if I didn't budge. So I have tickets in the West Lower for Saturday, closer to our part of the south stand, which I hope will be a good middle ground?

We tried sitting in the East Lower near the away fans and it wasn't our cup of tea; seemed a lot of the people around us were daytrippers that give you dirty looks for singing etc. I guess a lot of it depends on the opposition and importance of the fixture and whatever

Just wanted to gauge where other people with boisterous kids that want to get involved in the singing and everything go for future reference?! I always go in the North Stand myself when I'm with adults, just a bit further down from the police box; only went in the West Lower once before which was for the first game v Donny which probably isn't a fair barometer!

Many thanks,
WFP

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I’m in a very similar position as my 7 year old really wanted to join me for both Liverpool games. He’s seen a handful of games previously but the World Cup featuring the likes of Mac Allister and Mitoma really caught his imagination.

I usually go in the North. While he’d love the atmosphere I know he’d struggle to see without standing on his seat which isn’t ideal.

We’ve sat in the West Lower and the front row of the East upper close to the north stand. He’s loved being close to the more vocal fans, making a noise himself and abusing dodgy ref/VAR calls. He also really liked being able to closely see the subs warm up in WSL but the east upper was easily a better view of the action.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Took my lad (not so boisterous) in the west lower , level with the goal- which was great cause he’s a keeper, so watched the warm up intently. Lot of singing up behind us and in front - also being close to the North Stand did feel right in the thick of it. He was as transfixed by all the lads at the back of the North Stand singing non stop as he was by the match 😊

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As long as he doesn't stand on his seat, West Lower should be fine. I'm in there and my 8yr old grandson occasionally vacates his seat to sit on my knees for a better view for a while.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My son's had a season ticket since he was 8. It seems to be the age they get interested at. As a barometer the first FA Cup Final I can remember was when I was 8 and I was 9 the first time at the Goldstone.

We've always been towards the back of the West Upper between the North Stand and centre circle. We picked it because it was the only free place we could move to and get me and my lad, Scoffers and his three and my other mate and his son in the same area.

We got really lucky. Two brilliant blokes behind us who took the kids in and made them part of the gang, We'd draw lots for the half time scores and there would always be sweets for the kids.

The atmosphere is ok up there too with some younger blokes and a lot of ex-Goldstone or Withdean.

He's never not been able to see. Everyone sits until we score or the ref needs a good bit of abuse. You're as far away from the players as you can be but it's brilliant to see the tactics. It's pretty much a camera / sports writer view.

Now he's older we go in the North for cup games and I'm sure he'll eventually move nearer the NSK but it's been a fun few years with a great gang.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

We tried sitting in the East Lower near the away fans and it wasn't our cup of tea; seemed a lot of the people around us were daytrippers that give you dirty looks for singing etc. I guess a lot of it depends on the opposition and importance of the fixture and whatever
ignore them and sing up?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So I am now at the point in life where my lad loves the Albion as much as I do, and it's all happened organically; I manage his under 8s team which is full of City/Chelsea/Arsenal/United/Spurs fans up here in the footballing hotbed of West Berkshire. My Liverpool-supporting dad & Spurs supporting brother-in-law have tried to influence him and he has shrugged it all off to stick with the Albion, which, needless to say, is absolutely lovely stuff.

He has been to the Amex with me twice this season after we went to the Reading pre-season game together and he started getting the bug. He absolutely loves it and gets pissy with me for ages when I go to games without him now, so I'm planning on getting us season tickets for next season if it's possible.

I am bringing him down for the Bournemouth game on Sat. He has been banging on about it for weeks now, counting down the days literally every morning with his Albion shirt and Sanchez-marked Spain flag ready at the foot of his bed. We both like to go in the North Stand where we can stand up and get a bit boisterous, but last time I bought him down for the Leicester 5-2 game (the game that really got him hooked), I got a load of shit from the stewards for standing him up on an empty chair next to us and they eventually forced us to move to seats in the corner and threatened to boot us out if I didn't budge. So I have tickets in the West Lower for Saturday, closer to our part of the south stand, which I hope will be a good middle ground?

Just wanted to gauge where other people with boisterous kids that want to get involved in the singing and everything go for future reference?! I always go in the North Stand myself when I'm with adults, just a bit further down from the police box; only went in the West Lower once before which was for the first game v Donny which probably isn't a fair barometer!

Many thanks,
WFP
I go with my 12 year old and the preference is either South or North but in the rows closer to the pitch. We went further back in the North and he didn't like it as much. We're in N1C row G Saturday which will likely be mostly sitting, but enough going on to be joining in etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm in West Upper, half way between the half way line and the North Stand. It is brilliant. Three teenage lads started going a couple of years ago, all voice-breaky and being (to me) irritating. I was wrong. They are great lads, one in particular who is the permanent member of the gang. He's probably about 17 now. So they make a lot of noise, and it's fine.

In front of me is a family with 5 or 6 seats. They bring kids of various ages (from 5 to 15). It is all good.

In front of me, people stand only to clap the team out or when there is a goal. A kid sitting will be able to see.

I have never been shhshed, not have I had to put up with extreme tomfoolery. You'd be absolutely fine up here.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m in the first row of the North and love it, I tried the WSU for a cup game and felt detached from the action could have been watching on tele. Weststand lower is ok although you have to strain your neck at times if you are near the corners. East Stand upper good view weird people, again felt detached. South stand I didn’t enjoy at all.
At the Goldstone I was always at the NS fence guess that’s why I like the first row.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My oldest boy is in the North Stand for me and some mates. We're two rows from the back and he had to stand on the seat when first going. Didn't seem to be an issue and he loved it. He's almost 16 and 6ft 3in now so think I better start telling him to get down.
:lolol:

Mine's 16 and 6ft 1. He'd probably break a seat if he stood on it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm in West Upper, half way between the half way line and the North Stand. It is brilliant. Three teenage lads started going a couple of years ago, all voice-breaky and being (to me) irritating. I was wrong. They are great lads, one in particular who is the permanent member of the gang. He's probably about 17 now. So they make a lot of noise, and it's fine.

In front of me is a family with 5 or 6 seats. They bring kids of various ages (from 5 to 15). It is all good.

In front of me, people stand only to clap the team out or when there is a goal. A kid sitting will be able to see.

I have never been shhshed, not have I had to put up with extreme tomfoolery. You'd be absolutely fine up here.
Similar to us in W3H. There's a kid sat by my son most weeks, he's only about 10 and he has no problem there. Also a family in front with one young child, he sometimes stands up and that is no problem too. I get what @Justice means about the view, but although I still miss being nearer the action, I absolutely love the view I have now, it's amazing to see every move unfold in a way that is not possible from a lower vantage point. The atmosphere is pretty good as well, I like being nearer the North and I don't feel as alone as I sometimes did in the East Lower when venting or singing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here