Kent
Has anyone been?

What would be your must goto place?

What would be your don't bother place?

And why?

Would love to get some feedback :smile:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I went a couple of years ago in March.Never seen so many tourists.Nice place but be prepared to get hassled to buy old tat from some very dark people.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Apart from the Trevi fountain and the Colloseum, there's not a lot of memorable sites to see. When I went a few years ago about this time, it was boiling and there was wasn't a great deal of shade from what I remember. Worth a day out or two :) As mentioned above, expect plenty of tourists and street sellers, but the same can be said for most capital cities.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Go to Vatican City, well worth a visit. Colosseum although very historic a place you will only visit once and wonder why you bothered. Get to a Roma Match. Watch your pockets they like to steal things from you! Ostia Antica, The ruins of the ancient Rome port of Ostia Antica are well worth a visit. Eat Pizza, don't cross a road if not at a crossing, they are a nightmare on the road. Will be heaving with tourists.

Enjoy :rave:

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Keep a close eye on your valubles/money/wallet lots of pick pocketers. The thieving bastards.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Apart from the Trevi fountain and the Colloseum, there's not a lot of memorable sites to see. When I went a few years ago about this time, it was boiling and there was wasn't a great deal of shade from what I remember. Worth a day out or two :) As mentioned above, expect plenty of tourists and street sellers, but the same can be said for most capital cities.

What ... think there's a little more than that!

It's a fantastic place, went in May.

We walked around most of the city in three days but my tip would be to buy one of the hop on hop off bus tickets. Metro is good but coverage limited.
Food was fantastic, where are you staying? We stayed by the Trevi Fountain and some of the smaller restaurants were great.

Yes, good tip from others watch the dippers they are out in there hundreds!

Have to say our most dissapointing was The Colloseum, Vatican City is a must but we enjoyed just exploring and coming across some stunning architecture.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Has anyone been?

What would be your must goto place?

What would be your don't bother place?

And why?

Would love to get some feedback :smile:

Only been once but found it truly amazing. I normally go to big cities and steer clear of the tourist attractions but Rome is one to get stuck right in.

I am not religious but found the Vatican truly weird and wonderful, difficult to say why.

The Colliseum was also a strange place. I wondered why I would want to go to some old ruin but inside I found the atmosphere very eerie, you could feel the history and the barbaric atmosphere hung in the air.

Sorry to get all heavy and philosophical but............

find a restaraunt next to the trevi fountain called Chianti and have the wild boar.I can still taste it now in a good way.

You will love it, have fun and follow my advice.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I've been twice and loved it. St Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum are must-sees for me. Most of the Ancient Roman stuff is interesting - I can't agree with the negative comments on the Colosseum - I went both times I visited and think it's an amazing place.

There are bits of ancient Roman architecture all over the place, though - there's something interesting pretty much everywhere. And pretty much all the restaurants I went to served bloody good grub, if you keep away from the more obviously touristy ones.

They're nutters on the roads - my local guide's advice was 'just go, they'll go round you'! Only negative thing - do keep an eye open for pickpockets, mind your stuff, particularly on public transport. But it's a brilliant city.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
I'm glad i ask, some great feedback. Don't know where i'm staying as it's a birthday gift. Something tells me i'll spend all weekend holding my money.

Good work NSC.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I love Rome and Italy, apart from Milan (apart from the Gothic church, bugger all there).

If you are going to the Colloseum, go to Paletine Hill first, it is very close to the Colloseum. If it is the same as when I went, 3-4 years ago, you pay to go in Paletine Hill, about £7 and show your passport/driving licence and they let you into the Colloseum for free! Strangely, a guide at the Colloseum, asked me if we needed a guide, when I said no, she told me about this and it works!

Paletine Hill was the only thing, touristy wise, that I payed for, amazing, all of the museums, churches etc. are free! I didn't do the Vatican, this may cost, as the kids were bored/fed up/hot and wanted to go back to the swimming pool. Saving the Vatican for another weekend when I am only with the missus. With the rate of the euro at the moment, I may look at going again very soon!

Have a good time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if you are into your art, go to this place

San Luigi dei Francesi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has a couple of the most fantastic Carvaggio paintings you will ever see. Its just up from the Pantheon

Rome is full of fantastic places and some that look like ruins but are incredible...just by the Colluseum there is a ruin that is actually a high rise tenament from the time of Augustus built around 35 BCE ( we were not the first to build sky scrapers). BUT if you get a chance, go down the Appian Way and have a look at teh Roman Tombs and monuments down there...the Romans were desparate to show that they had matched and then bettered their ancesters and also that they would be remembered, so they put up these fantastic tombs that people could see as they made their way into Rome...there are some fabulous inscriptions and some incredibly moving ones.

Look out for the ones with Libertus on them...freed slaves

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Periods/Roman/Topics/Engineering/roads/Appia/Roma-Bovillae/Mile_V-VI/Valerii_liberti_Hebraei.html

I am turning into a geek..!

DanielT

Pay for a tour of the colluseum, you learn more. If there's a guide called alex, go with him. Half scottish, really good guide.

Rome market is great on a sunday.

Pantheon

Castel d'angelo. Piazza del popolo. The palace just down from the colluseum is massive and worth a look.

Appia Antica is really nice if you want a quiet countryside walk.

So much to see in Rome. Can't wait to go back.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
What ... think there's a little more than that!

It's a fantastic place, went in May.

We walked around most of the city in three days but my tip would be to buy one of the hop on hop off bus tickets. Metro is good but coverage limited.
Food was fantastic, where are you staying? We stayed by the Trevi Fountain and some of the smaller restaurants were great.

Yes, good tip from others watch the dippers they are out in there hundreds!

Have to say our most dissapointing was The Colloseum, Vatican City is a must but we enjoyed just exploring and coming across some stunning architecture.

Granted, the Vatican was pretty special, but I keep thinking of it as being separate to Rome itself. And the food was good, but then the same can be said for most of Italy as a whole.

We were staying in a resort near Cecina in Tuscany - took the train to Rome for the day for some sightseeing. I would recommend it, it's a good weekend break like any other big city. Maybe if we'd gone in the Spring time as you did, we might have been in the mood to appreciate the attractions a little more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here